Deleted

I need help with games being cloggy

Hello Computer Forum!

I seek your help. I am upset with the performance of my PC. Games stutter. WoW, Valve games, Amnesia, Minecraft, even Terraria stutters. I've been trying to find the cause out, but I was unable to find out what may cause this annoying choppyness!

So here are my PC's specs, and I'll also mention what I tried out to find the cause.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, up to date (drivers included)
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Formula IV "Lolz ROG epeen wanker" with most fresh BIOS update.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T AM3 Socket, not overlocked atm, 2800mhz, 20°c idle 40-50°c under load.
    RAM: Kingston 4GB (2x2) 1333mhz DDR3 RAM CL9 (KVR1333D3N9K2/4G), Memtest86 showed no errors.
    HDD: 1TB Samsung 3.5" HD103SJ 32mb chache, 3.0gb/sec SATAII connection (Motherboard does have 6.0gb/s slots), S.M.A.R.T. results in HDTune showed all green
    VGA: ASUS Radeon EAH5830 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E card, 800mhz gpu clock, 1000mhz memory clock (so no OC atm), idles on 33-37°c 60-68°c on load, checked reviews, that temp. is normal for this card...
    PSU: Chieftec 550W APFC (GPS-550AB A Smart)
    Monitor: ASUS VW193D, 17" 1440x900 res on 75hz atm. 5ms response time.
    Sound: Some integrated chip from VIA, I did try turning it off didn't help.

The machine will be 2 years this summer, I keep the case and the fans dust clean (doing so every month).

That's all I can share atm, I trust the issue upon you, and seek your help my fellow gamers. Please post any idea about what the stuttering can be caused by!

Thanks in advance,

BitterBooze

EDIT: 3dmark results in 3rd post of this thread.
    Last edited by mmoca646ec8bde; 2012-01-11 at 10:45 PM.

Stutters are usually signs of a power supply not giving enough current, or temperatures being too high. Your temperatures are totally normal, if not better than average, and your power supply is more than sufficient for that hardware. Have you updated your drivers very recently?

*edit: Just re-read your post and saw where you mentioned drivers were up to date.

You might try to uninstall drivers and do a fresh install of the latest drivers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoness View Post
    Stutters are usually signs of a power supply not giving enough current, or temperatures being too high. Your temperatures are totally normal, if not better than average, and your power supply is more than sufficient for that hardware. Have you updated your drivers very recently?

*edit: Just re-read your post and saw where you mentioned drivers were up to date.

You might try to uninstall drivers and do a fresh install of the latest drivers.
    This has been going on since forever now, even after many reinstalls of the OS (and the drivers), but it just recently started to disturb me with Terraria being cloggy It shouldn't be cloggy. My PC shouldn't be... *drama*

Thanks for your reply!

Also here is my 3dmark results: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2526585 That line about Graphics driver is worrying. I actually did a research about AMD drivers, and on some forums they were complaining about shipping bad drivers all the time? Is that true?

Don't let that crap they say about non-approved drivers scare you. It just means they haven't yet optimized the bench for the latest drivers. It will basically always say that to you if you use the latest drivers.

The fact that you have wiped and installed a fresh OS worries me actually. If your problem is persisting through a reformat, you are most likely looking at a hardware issue. Again, we go back to temperatures and power supply. As I stated before, your temperatures are totally normal, and actually a bit on the cool side. That makes me wonder about your PSU.---

Wait... I just noticed your monitor refresh rate is 75 Hz. Will you try to manually set this to 60 Hz and try playing a game with VSync turned on? I have a funny feeling that could be a step in the right direction.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As Demoness has mentioned I would change the refresh rate of your monitor to 60Hz and enable Vsync in your games. If the problem persists I would try a different power supply.

Deleted
    Tried vsync on (and 60hz refresh rate) earlier, tried it now as well, Minecraft and Terraria keeps doing it. Yeah I might try a different PSU.

Edit: my 550w PSU (the old one) is consuming 330watts on maximum load (for 3dmark tests, but between 200 and 250 watts for WoW)

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 07:55 PM ----------

I also get this message from Windows repeatedly, saying it detected a reduction in performance, so then it offers me to shut the Aero thing down OR not to shut it down and ask again, OR not to shut it down and never ask again. I keep clicking the last one and it still comes back to haunt me, each time I alt tab out of WoW. Maybe I should take the PC to the proffessionals :/
    Last edited by mmoca646ec8bde; 2012-02-10 at 09:28 PM.