Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mastery VS Haste (Disc)

Been told by several ppl that Haste at later gearlvls is the best choice, but i seem to get the same amount of healing done from either one, What's your opinion?

If you are raiding 10 man, haste is better.
    In 25 man I don't see any major differences between all 3 additional stats.

Haste and Discipline

The first thing to consider is your role in the raid. Are you support hybrid raid heal/tank heal or do you primarily heal tanks? Haste is very desirable for tank healing especially. Another thing to consider is if you are standard SoS build or AA/Atonement build. With "smite healing" haste is quite a bit more desirable than mastery.

My rule of thumb ( having run both specs and filled both rolls) is to take all of both. Without the 5% haste buff i would not feel comfortable with less than 15% haste (by preference). At my current gear level (i level 397) I reforge all of my spirit rather than my haste or mastery. This gives me about 17.5% haste and 42% increased absorbtion from shields. In my experience (10mans) after 15% haste the number increase from haste dramatically decreases especially on fights where damage is more spiked than constant.

Other things to consider are the fights you have the most trouble healing and what spells you use. I would recommend more mastery on Heroic Morchok if you solo heal your side. Shield spam in Inner Will can be very effective here.

On fights Like Madness, you probably use a lot more Prayer of Healing so being able to keep up with the extra haste might be desirable (although the haste buff for most of the fight kind of negates this).

Overall, definitely consider dropping all of your spirit and leveling out both haste and mastery(especially since most of the gear drops has haste+spirit instead of mastery+spirit). This gives you maximum throughput. Properly managed rapture procs (poweraura's classic helps this) will give you more regeneration than any other healing spec in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    If you are raiding 10 man, haste is better.
    In 25 man I don't see any major differences between all 3 additional stats.
    Wrong, this depends on entirely on group comp and play style.

The best is like vaterheiler said, is balance all haste mastery and crit since they are all synergetic. Secondary stats for disc priest are pretty balanced, there is absolutely no agreement on which stat is better.

I prefer to stack crit with my disc gear. I keep 2k Spirit (1804 from gear), and 15% haste (prior to raid buffs), then I stack whatever crit I can get and the rest to mastery. I run 10m normal (8/8), but I will probably pick up more spirit for heroic (and possibly another 5% haste for .1s faster gheals).
    Last edited by raivyne; 2012-01-13 at 06:25 AM.

Deleted
    Same as Raivyne.

But instead of haste im more mastery/crit heavy im on 41% Shields, add 380 mastery from my current trinket stacked would make 43% (Necromatic something (belaroc one)). Balancing Haste around 10% (slightly lower atm 8.5% but still i feel comfy with it) and reforging stuff to crit.

IM still on 2475 spirit which i need to lower, but i cant due to alot of pieces being in my holy spec (2755 spirit).

Might go more haste if i do indeed need it for HM's atm i don't need feel the need for it.
    Last edited by mmoc3c8522fde4; 2012-01-13 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo's

Haste > Crit > Mastery

Don't take my word for it:

http://talesofapriest.com/2012/01/05...condary-stats/

Quote Originally Posted by drubibu View Post
    Haste > Crit > Mastery

Agreed. A nice of amount of spirit also goes along way this tier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drubibu View Post
    Haste > Crit > Mastery

that is "probably" only 25 man. in 10 man I still think it's mastery > haste > crit

I prefer to run with high haste as AA/Atonement. In 10 man, I'm going to probably need to heal things before I need to shield them. As it is, I rarely shield now outside of my rapture cooldown or when I find someone to be in some sort of emergency where they are likely to die before I can flash heal them. I am extremely low mastery as well. Most of my healing is done through atonement and I probably smite over 50% percent of the time on fights excluding heroic Ultraxion. As for crit, it is something I would reforge away in a heartbeat. I understand DA is great, but I don't find myself casting enough "heals" outside of PoH to make trying to obtain more crit a good idea. The shield spamming days of Wrath are over, I don't see where that is viable especially not in a 10 man setting. The synergy between the other healers and myself is to a point where we can pretty much guess what we'll be doing and it's perfectly acceptable for me to heal the way I choose, but that is the bonus of healing with the same group for nearly three years now.

Quote Originally Posted by DerrHans View Post
    Same as Raivyne.

But instead of haste im more mastery/crit heavy im on 41% Shields, add 380 mastery from my current trinket stacked would make 43% (Necromatic something (belaroc one)). Balancing Haste around 10% (slightly lower atm 8.5% but still i feel comfy with it) and reforging stuff to crit.

IM still on 2475 spirit which i need to lower, but i cant due to alot of pieces being in my holy spec (2755 spirit).

Might go more haste if i do indeed need it for HM's atm i don't need feel the need for it.
    I fixed the spec swapping problem as best I could until I get an entire second set of gear just for holy. I swap out my weapon slots, a ring and a trinket for my holy spec, this gives me ~2.5k spirit for holy (more if I don't reforge the spirit off the staff/ring).

Here are the items I swap to when I go holy:

Maw of the Dragonlord (384) and Ledger of Revolting Rituals (384) become Visage of the Destroyer (397) - reforged Spi to Haste
    Ring of the Riven (384) becomes Soothing Brimstone Circle (378) - reforged spirit to mastery
    Petrified Pickled Egg (365) becomes Mandala of Stirring Patterns (359) - no reforge

I'm desperately in need of new trinkets... but it works for now!

I like my 2.01 sec poh/gheal.

OP - I would suggest checking out the fine community at plusheal (not enough posts to include the link, so google it) - very supportive and informative while having the ability to disagree with civility. In addition to talesofapriest there is also disciplinaryaction (wordpress blog) - with some quick and dirty guides for anyone dipping their toes into discipline.

The beauty of discipline is that there really is no wrong answer. You will be able to heal any encounter with any second stat distribution/preference as long as you know the fight, know your toolkit, and know what the other healer or healers are bringing to the encounter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah we are sort of flexible at the moment. It really depends on your play style and group. If you are tank healing and find PW:S is your top healer then you are going to get a lot out of Mastery, however if you are casting a lot of PoH then Haste & Crit would be a little more valuable.

I'm attonement myself and find anything below 10% haste to be too slow, but I don't stack haste either (although I've played my stats a lot). Also Crit isn't as bad for us as it is for some other classes, because it just leads to bigger shields (my overheal is very low).
    Last edited by dryankem; 2012-01-13 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    Wrong, this depends on entirely on group comp and play style.

The best is like vaterheiler said, is balance all haste mastery and crit since they are all synergetic. Secondary stats for disc priest are pretty balanced, there is absolutely no agreement on which stat is better.
    So what was wrong with my post? I told almost the same as you and Vaterheiler.

That's exactly why I directed the OP to plusheal! "Wrong,..." - Not very helpful!

You said haste is best in 10 mans. It's wrong because it depends on you're healing style. I value mastery over haste because I use a lot of PW:S, Haste pulls ahead for someone who only uses PW:S for rapture procs.

I came across this post on EJ the other day that puts mastery above haste if you have the mana to do a 1:1 PW:S to PoH rotation for heavy damage phases (which what I tend do).

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t127522-...4/#post2074374

In reality though, you really won't have to chose between haste or mastery because if you're good at managing rapture, you can safely reforge out of most of your spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    You said haste is best in 10 mans. It's wrong because it depends on you're healing style. I value mastery over haste because I use a lot of PW:S, Haste pulls ahead for someone who only uses PW:S for rapture procs.

I came across this post on EJ the other day that puts mastery above haste if you have the mana to do a 1:1 PW:S to PoH rotation for heavy damage phases (which what I tend do).

In reality though, you really won't have to chose between haste or mastery because if you're good at managing rapture, you can safely reforge out of most of your spirit.
    There is only 1k hps (56k vs 57k) difference in linked post between PoH spam and PWS/PoH spam. In first case, haste is the way to go, in the second - mastery.

But in the second case, there is a lot more manaspending. So first case ends up with more healing then second one, despite lower HPS (by laughable 1k). Just done simulation on 100 sec fight with PWS+PoH spam against PWS+4xPoH spam, both with mana potion and fiend. First just goes oom and the second one is not (I is understandable because simple calculations with 0 haste give us ~100k mana spending difference. 340k vs 250k). Profile runed on author of given EJ post (396 iLevel).

So please read those simulations carefully and try them by yourself instead of believe in anything posted on EJ.

Most of the stats are pretty even for the most part. As you progress through higher end content the value of Mastery goes up, way up. In most cases it's a debate between Mastery/Haste and Mastery/Crit. You should never be putting yourself in a situation where you are sacrificing Mastery at the expense of Haste or Crit.

I wouldn't even bother using simulations to determine which is better. That is the worst way to figure things out. Look at your combat logs and see what is working for you and base your stat priorities based on that.
    Last edited by lizon; 2012-01-16 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthlady View Post
    that is "probably" only 25 man. in 10 man I still think it's mastery > haste > crit
    I am curious what your reasoning is.

In 25, riding out damage spikes revolves around chaining cooldowns, so you can itemize around efficiency and the size of your mana pool.

In 10, you still have to heal out all the same damage spikes but have fewer CDs to assist you. You're forced to itemize around burst HPS. If you don't, you're forcing someone else to.

Haste is more valuable in 10 than in 25, effic stats are more valuable in 25 than in 10.

Shielding enough to give mst a high value is silly. You literally need >50% pw:S + aegis. How much spirit do you have to carry? 2800? How much more throughput could you get by valuing haste higher and then being able to dump an extra 1k spirit into crit? Yeah, there are people that make this work, even in very top guilds. But it's not working well for them for the reasons you're thinking. It's because of precasting.

If a mst heavy itemization is topping meters for you due to aegis -- well, you massively outgear the encounter, and you're topping the meter because of a gimmick.

Come on, this topic is so old by now ><
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2012-01-16 at 05:17 PM.