Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is this game worth it?

Hello everyone, when I was younger I was a HUGE fan of star wars, I used to loved the revenge of the sith game and was wondering about old republic. Is it a good game? Why and would you recommend it?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by xBANANA101x; 2012-01-14 at 08:33 PM.

No, I personally wouldn't recommend it yet. Lots of rough edges / lack of refinement to the game.

For me, I left after about 2-3 weeks, and might check it out again in 6-8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by xBANANA101x View Post
    Hello everyone, when I was younger I was a HUGE fan of star wars, I used to loved the revenge of the sith game and was wondering about old republic. Is it a good game? Why and would you recommend it?
    Thank you!
    Did you like Mass Effect? Did you like Dragon Age? Did you like WOW? If so, what did you like about them?

To be honest, you probably won't get great responses to this thread.

Anyone who actually likes the game will be playing today and not lurking here.

Anyone who isn't playing the game will be dropping their opinions.

Take from that what you will. I would be playing but I'm at work on a saturday. I would suggest to just bite the bullet and try the game or don't. Do not come to this forum expecting a persuasive opinion that gets you motivated to play.

Either you want to or you don't. You really shouldn't be basing a purchase like this off of what other people think anyways, especially considering the drastic standing both sides of the spectrum take.

It's pretty much vanilla wow status in a bad way, with alot of bugs, exploites and unfinished content.

It's also a direct WoW copy in many ways, pic related: http://i.imgur.com/Yc6so.jpg

Combat and pvp are beyond terrible atm, nonresponsive nonfluid combat.. even Rift was superior in this regard regardless massive imbalance.

I wouldn't waste my time on it at this point if i was you.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    To be honest, you probably won't get great responses to this thread.

Anyone who actually likes the game will be playing today and not lurking here.

Anyone who isn't playing the game will be dropping their opinions.
    aha..
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2012-01-14 at 08:43 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is not a generic MMO. The questing for example is very rpg based. Like Mass Effect. You make your own choices.

If you don't like it, i advice you to not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefuu View Post
    It's pretty much vanilla wow status, with alot of bugs, exploites and unfinished content.

It's also a direct WoW copy in many ways, pic related: http://i.imgur.com/Yc6so.jpg

Combat and pvp are beyond terrible atm, nonresponsive nonfluid combat.. even Rift was superior in this regard regardless massive imbalance.

I wouldn't waste my time on it at this point, friend of mine bought it i had enough of the game for a lifetime in a day..
    Bullshit.

It's not a direct copy of WoW. Do you even play?

I've played rift for 6 months, from launch, and 1 month later on. The PvP here is superior, i'm sorry, but stop pulling shit out of your ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Judging from a couple responses before mine, I already know this thread is going down the same path as its 235235235 predecessors in the past few weeks. I'm with JustinTime though, do some research on the game and judge it for yourself don't let other's opinions make the choice for you.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Btw. Don't make threads like that on MMO-champion. It doesn't matter what subforum you are on. (RIFT, SWTOR, etc.). Some people will spot it on the frontpage, and bash it for all it's worth. This is mainly a WoW community, you know. And the WoW community is VERY unforgiving about other MMOs.

I advice you to check it out yourself, first.
    Last edited by Winfernal; 2012-01-14 at 08:50 PM.

I always give a generic response to questions like this with regards to any MMO: I would wait a while to see how it hashes out.

It's pretty much vanilla wow status in a bad way, with alot of bugs, exploites and unfinished content.

I wouldn't waste my time on it at this point if i was you.

aha..
    yup sith warrior is the class the closest to another wow class anyoen sayign anythign else is dumb , blind, or both srly marauder is like a fury warrior, and juggernaut is arms warrior on the ''unique'' dps tree and the tank tree is prot warrior thats it.

Still give the game a try its really cool and got its unique flavor imo, its one of the best mmo out there atm, (dotn look at the bugs for now wait couple of months) the responsiveness isnt bad, except for certain spells, on my concealment Ops the only spell that act weird is carbine burst and thats about it .

I would say give it a shot, when you buy a single player game you pay 50-60$ for a 10-50 hours games (the range vary a lot) for this game you pay 60$ with the free month you can go well over 100 hours of gameplay ( I am on parental leave so I play a lot each night) and if you are familiar with the mechnics and all those shenanigans you will liek it, and you will probably even hook into the story of your class/character . IMO its a good buy I ll play for couple of months if in 4-5 month there is no improvement on the bug and the quality then Ill leave but for now levelign to 50 with each class to see the story is just nice . You can level the 4 class, after your first playtrought just spacebar the side quest and enjoy your class quest
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2012-01-14 at 08:55 PM.

I like it personally, mostly because I don't already 100% understand pretty much everything outside of new boss encounters not even on the PTR and it hasen't started to feel like only the bosses matter just yet.

Oh and there aren't pop culture references at every other quest, big selling point for me. (Not saying there are no references, but I have yet to run into a zone where 80% or more quests are a reference to some movie unrelated to the game or something found on youtube).

Worst thing I can say about the game is that it's buggy and people use general chat to compare things to WoW like it's some holy grail and it's a disgrace that someone thought to copy such an original idea that is WoW.... but that's a reason why you can close the channels.

Angry Birds is a direct copy of crush the castle, which was a direct copy of another game, which was a direct copy of another game. Despite what some people think, something new doesn't need to provide new ideas, it just needs to do the old ideas better, and that's what swtor does.

Story is involved, questing encourages grouping up with people even for simple things, combat is pretty smooth for most classes, graphics aren't cartoony etc etc...

As Justintime said, form your own opinion. There's already tons of threads on tons of forums. Read some, look up info, ask some friends who play. You'll get more reasonable responses than you do here.

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    yup sith warrior is the class the closest to another wow class anyoen sayign anythign else is dumb , blind, or both srly marauder is like a fury warrior, and juggernaut is arms warrior on the ''unique'' dps tree and the tank tree is prot warrior thats it.
    Spamming an activated ability to generate points for using deadlier moves? Sounds like a rogue to me, toos in mauraders with crappy stealth? Definately combat rogue status there with the medium armer /nod

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    Angry Birds is a direct copy of crush the castle, which was a direct copy of another game, which was a direct copy of another game. Despite what some people think, something new doesn't need to provide new ideas, it just needs to do the old ideas better, and that's what swtor does.

Story is involved, questing encourages grouping up with people even for simple things, combat is pretty smooth for most classes, graphics aren't cartoony etc etc...

As Justintime said, form your own opinion. There's already tons of threads on tons of forums. Read some, look up info, ask some friends who play. You'll get more reasonable responses than you do here.
    WoW copied from other MMOs back in time, when it arrived. It was the "casual" alternative to the other top MMOs.

The game is great.

However there is a lot of wow fanbois on this forum and they just like to mock other MMOs for some reason (competition is good btw).

If you are a Star Wars fan already, why do you even have to ask?

There is bugs, but every MMO has bugs, people are fools if they think MMOs aren't raped by bugs at first, everyone has been so far, but a problem with MMOers is they have memory loss.

I'm lvl 50, full champion pvp set, completed all HMs and OPs, I have found very few bugs, nothing game breaking. It's very fun and the sci-fi genre is a great change from fantasy. It's about time, personally, I am sick of fantasy MMOs.

If you are a Star Wars fan, Mass Effect fan, or even just like futuristic shit (even though it was a long time ago ), this game is a must for your collection.

If WoW was released in today's environment, damn, it would of been crucified. Even though when it was released there was the whiners (as always), the MMO community was a lot more tolerant back then.
    Last edited by Trix; 2012-01-14 at 09:02 PM.

Deleted
    Yes
    10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Spamming an activated ability to generate points for using deadlier moves? Sounds like a rogue to me, toos in mauraders with crappy stealth? Definately combat rogue status there with the medium armer /nod
    Please go play a sith marauder, it plays and feel the same, my GF and I love the game, I play concealment ops, and my gf a marauder, and she said ''its easy I put my keybind and attack at the same place I do in wow, this way its the same and doesnt feel different, I love it'' being the same doesnt meen its bad, but the fact is it actually feels and almost play the same

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes

/10 chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    The game's storytelling is Lightyears ahead of world of warcraft's. You feel that your character does have moral implications in that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

Deleted
    The game is awesome!