Video compatibility

I just bought a PC from IBUYPOWER ( Special-A with video card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2GB - Single Card).
    But when I hooked up my old dell monitor (AS501) dont get a display.
    Is it possible my dell isn't compatible with the new video card?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you've confused some monitor speakers for the monitor itself.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/P91244/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Sorry. Monitor is model E197FP 19"...

Quote Originally Posted by wowisbs View Post
    I just bought a PC from IBUYPOWER ( Special-A with video card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2GB - Single Card).
    But when I hooked up my old dell monitor (AS501) dont get a display.
    Is it possible my dell isn't compatible with the new video card?
    Typically when you have an aftermarket video card (not integrated) you have to set up the Bios to choose which card you want to use. This usually means that you have to hook your monitor up to the on board video connector and then tell the Bios to use the other video card, before you can hook it up to the other card and have it work.

The PC only has 1 video card. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2GB was install by IbuyPower when i bought it.
    The monitor was my old one from my dell... I figuredi would just "plug & Play" but I get no video.

How are you plugging it in, Idk where people are getting this you need to hook up to onboard you don't. Now if your going HDMI right away it may or may not display? So im assuming VGA-DVI adapter, this can cause your problem the bios output is usually analog even in UEFI. Now your monitor is a VGA only chances are your monitor is being told to display a higher resolution than its capable of. Ill do a bit more research in the next few minutes and reply again.

10+ Year Old Account
    With that monitor, he only has VGA. As for your problem, make sure that you have your monitor hooked up to your video card, and not your motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekk View Post
    With that monitor, he only has VGA. As for your problem, make sure that you have your monitor hooked up to your video card, and not your motherboard.
    They should both display.

<SNIP> In this instance, a dedicated GPU does not remove disable or stop an integrated from being usable. We do not even know if his mobo has an integrated, nor do we know anything other than no display. Ill be sticking w/ the digital output being screwed up w/ the digital to analog converter.

Please post without the underlying personal attacks. Thank you.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-15 at 07:48 PM.

No need to insult people who are trying to help others. I've actually run into a few motherboards that shut off the integrated GPU when a discrete GPU was installed.

Still, how is it connected, OP? Is it a DVI->VGA adapter? Does the computer beep at all or make any noise when you hit the power button?

By the way, looking at the original post and doing 45 seconds of research shows the "Special A" as having a Z68 motherboard. So yes, onboard video.
    Super casual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    No need to insult people who are trying to help others. I've actually run into a few motherboards that shut off the integrated GPU when a discrete GPU was installed.
    Actually it is standard behavior that the integrated gpu is turned off, when a discrete video card is installed. You can manually turn it back on in the BIOS, but normally it is turned off.

By the way, looking at the original post and doing 45 seconds of research shows the "Special A" as having a Z68 motherboard. So yes, onboard video.
    My guess too. The OP plugged the monitor into the onboard connector and not in the video card.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by wowisbs View Post
    The PC only has 1 video card. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2GB was install by IbuyPower when i bought it.
    The monitor was my old one from my dell... I figuredi would just "plug & Play" but I get no video.
    All PCs come with on board integrated graphics cards, it's a standard feature. Not all BIOS recognize that you have a GPU card plugged into the PCIE slot, and automatically turn off the on board video.

However, the point is that you have two possible spots you can plug in your monitor. One of them is the on board video, the other one is the 560 Ti. Assuming that the motherboard auto switches to the installed GPu, then you probably did plug into the wrong spot. However, just to be safe, you should plug into the on board gfx first and make sure the BIOS is set to disable the on board video, and enable the PCIE slot video.

Just to clear any confusion.

After that, if it still doesn't work right, I'd be willing to bet you got faulty hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    All PCs come with on board integrated graphics cards
    Please do not spread misinformation. All PCs do not in fact have on board integrated graphics. For instance, anyone running a P67 chipset motherboard does not at all have integrated graphics, like me. Think I'm wrong? Look it up, we don't even have a video-port on the motherboard, you HAVE to get a video card to have any video on a P67-based board, it's a more gamer-oriented board, obviously. Or graphics designer, etc.
    "A flower.

That is not quite correct Eroginous. It is increasingly normal to offer onboard video graphics, but firstly the CPU or motherboard has to feature the graphics chip itself as well as the ability to make use of it. Almost all of Sandy Bridge feature the HD 3000 graphics chip.

To make use of that chip you need to have the right chipset. Nearly all of them allow it on Sandy Bridge, save for the first chipset that could be overclocked (P67), but not all of them are actually going to feature the necessary connectors even if they have the right chipset. As an example, my GA-Z68-UD3P has the chipset, but there are no connections on the back to actually hook it up to a monitor. The reason? They only replaced the chipset on their P67 motherboard with that of the Z68.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    As an example, my GA-Z68-UD3P has the chipset, but there are no connections on the back to actually hook it up to a monitor. The reason? They only replaced the chipset on their P67 motherboard with that of the Z68.
    Intriguing. O_o

Would it put video out from the onboard graphics card through the video card? That almost seems like it would be bottlenecked and slow.

That actually seems like Gigabyte being some level of liars, since they put Z68 on a board, you expect all the features, though I know you with your 7970 don't need the onboard, but still...
    "A flower.

It's not really a big deal, and technically no features are lost. The Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z is the same as well.

What I can't do is connect a monitor to the motherboard. However, I can still make use of the "improved" video encoding, etc. All the other features associated with the onboard graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    With something as powerful as the bloody 7970 I'd say just disable the video chipset and carry on living. :P
    "A flower.