Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Will SW:TOR Survive For the Next 1 Month Even? All the Negativity is Frightening!

I'm so far just LOVING the game right now, but my guild mates and friends tell me that's because I'm only level 21 right now and that the game is not that fun after level 25, and that it gets worse at level 50. I hope they're wrong, but regardless, most of them say they're quitting the game as soon as their free month runs out.

I've also been reading the swtor official forums lately and theres lots of complaining/"I'm cancelling because of x" threads there. Are that many people really leaving?

Also, I read somewhere on the swtor official forums that the bioware was losing 4% of their SW:TOR subs every day. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

EDIT: found the post on the SW:TOR forums. I can't post the link (the filter won't let me), but here's what it said:
    EDIT2: Thanks to Cataclysmic Skyris, I found a way to bypass the filter. Here you go:

ht [DELETE] tp [DELETE] : [DELETE] / [DELETE] /ww [DELETE] w [DELETE] . [DELETE] s [DELETE] w [DELETE] to [DELETE] r [DELETE] . [DELETE] c [DELETE] om [DELETE] / [DELETE] community [DELETE] / [DELETE] showthread [DELETE] . [DELETE] php?t=171487&highlight=Xugos

h t[DELETE]t p [DELETE] : / /[DELETE]w w[DELETE]w.[DELETE]s w tor[DELETE]aren a[DELETE].[DELETE]c[DELETE]o m /[DELETE]stat[DELETE]istics

The over-all trend diagram says that SW:TOR's population has been dropping by ~4% every single day since the two days after release.

It also says that 86% of servers are light, and ~13.5% are standard, and ~0.5% are other.

Losing 4% of your total subscribers everyday is not something that "always happens to new MMOs."

Let's say this: 1.2 million subs right now.
    From this it follows that:

(1.2 million)(0.96)^30 = 0.293857643(1.2 million) = ~352k subs after 30 days.
    This trend is also quite reputable since it has been occurring for the past 2.5 weeks or so.

The number of 352 000 subscriptions is lower than Bioware's published break-even point of 500 000 subs. Is this trouble for SW:TOR's future over-all?

This is alarming news to anyone who realizes that SW:TOR's community is already dispersed in-game as is, will a population drop make implementing cross-server services such as LFG and PvP matchmaker MANDATORY things in order for the game to survive?

I believe so, because as is, people spam LFG chat for 40 min - 50 min in order to just look for a group. As the population drops, this will only get worse.

Merging servers is also a possibility, but most MMO developers avoid that like the plague since it is a subtle indication that their game is dying.
    I really hope this game doesn't die, at least as long as I find it fun, because playing an MMO with no people in it is dull and depressing. I also hope tons of people stick around because if not, Bioware might close servers, as they have said that they need 500k+ subs to survive, and that's just barely.

Can anyone make me feel better? >.<
    Last edited by Generix; 2012-01-15 at 05:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Generix View Post
    Also, I read somewhere on the swtor official forums that the bioware was losing 4% of their SW:TOR subs every day. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
    Pray tell where did you come across this tid bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Pray tell where did you come across this tid bit?

thankfully, they put in a forum search tool in today. i'll go find the thread quickly.

I think so, especially a Zombine patch coming next week.

The hell with them, enjoy yourself and don't worry about what other people are doing. There's no sense in letting others dampen your fun because they're upset with this or that. So long as YOU are having fun, that's all that matters.

one thing i have noticed is the servers are nearly as full as they have been... while the "shiny" factor of the game proberly has worn off i doubt that they are klosing 4% subs a day... that seems to b a lil over the top

Every single person I know who tried it have already quit or are planning to quit.

We'll just have to see if the upcoming content/fixes make people happy.

I'm having loads of fun at 50, it seems some servers are pretty dead, but I have no problem finding hard mode groups and pugging normal operations so far. The PvP is pretty fun and the queues are quick too. And actually, you know what. I enjoy the daily quests. They give a shit tonne of credits, and some absolutely awesome gear, and you get the gear in only like 5 days of daily quests, so it's not super grind fest. I'm starting to get the stuff for my "main" companion now. In fact, I often find I simply don't have enough time to do everything I want to do each day!

It won't let me post links...anyone know of a way to get around this?

If you're personally enjoying the game, why let what you 'hear' is happening impact it in any way?

I'm sure this game will do fine in the long term.

10+ Year Old Account
    just drop the html part or space it out

Deleted
    I hope it does. I haven't been this addicted to a game since WoW came out!

put www. abcd. com

Every MMO has this kind of negativity these day, it seems. If you're enjoying it, then I see no reason to stop playing.

Also, the likelihood of them losing 4% of their subs a day is... not at all. Unless you can link a legitimate source for this information, count it among the numerous lies spread about SWTOR. A legitimate source being not someone on the forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lphomiej View Post
    Every single person I know who tried it have already quit or are planning to quit.

We'll just have to see if the upcoming content/fixes make people happy.
    Every single person I know, or have grouped with in any capacity has been enjoying the game immensely and will continue to play it for the next couple months. See what I did there

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the world of forums.
    Few people make threads, with the intentions of praising the game. Most threads are about "i quit because of x and y". The rest are probably enjoying the game.

I was like you once, i thought forums was the way of knowledge and understanding. But it's not that easy.
    Don't let others control your fun. Especially not internet anons.

Just play the game. Don't worry.
    Last edited by Winfernal; 2012-01-15 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Every single person I know, or have grouped with in any capacity has been enjoying the game immensely and will continue to play it for the next couple months. See what I did there
    i see what u did there.... Me and mates are enjoying and thats all we care about atm

most poeple from my guild are 50 and we are having fun for the moment.. but with only level 50 pvp on a meduim server where 50% of poeple are not 50 in the BG
    i can see the pvp die VERY fast

realy hope they are fast with thos cross realm pvp things.. :/

Thank you, Cataclysmic Skyris, it works now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know those charts to and you should not be quick to accept peoples interpretation of statistical data based on absolutely no work or research. It could be that the trend is showing a dip because people are going back to school and the holidays are over. Furthermore they do not represent actual subscription numbers at all. People are making interpretations of data based on incorrect assumptions.