Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Please help me decide if I should get back to WoW (for PvP!)

Hey everyone!

So I've been fiddling with SWTOR over the last month or two, but I'm already getting tired of it, and it's hard to shake the feeling that the game just isn't up there with WoW - not yet, at least.

So I've played WoW in three stretches since launch. NE Warrior in Vanilla, Gnome Mage in TBC and Human DK in WotLK and early Cataclysm. I enjoyed all, but I tend to gravitate towards melee characters in these games. Sort of thinking about making a Warrior again!

Now, I always started chars on alliance because that was where my RL friends played. However, many of them are mostly into PvE, and those into PvP haven't played for a good while. So that leaves me free to try out Horde, which is the one thing that gets my excited about leveling again and all that. A whole new experience in that regard Also, I usually do get to know people on servers relatively fast anyway, so I don't think it's paramount that you join with RL friends.

I really want to focus on PvP and hopefully have a good experience with the game. I would describe myself as being on the verge of a 'hardcore' mindset when it comes to MMORPGs, but not there. I enjoy trying to be good at my class, and I enjoy experiencing character progression and the general feeling of being 'strong' in relation to your surrounding environment and player base. I love doing well in Battlegrounds.

So that was just a bit of background information. Some more concrete question here I hope you will answer for me...

1. Is it true that leveling now goes significantly faster compared to pre-cataclysm? Like, say I play 4-6 hours a day, being relatively focused. How long should it take me to go to 85 approximately?

2. Is there any real hope for me 'catching up' to current PvP standards and being a good player? I mean mostly in terms of gear. I HATE playing catchup, and so I hope the metasystem for gear progression 'moves forward' at a pace that does that I can stand there with the geared guys relatively fast. I know I have to work for it, but months of level 85 play with noticeable 'gear limitations' would suck.

3. Are rated battlegrounds a good alternative to the Arena? I found that the Arena tended to frustrate me more than anything...

4. Will I be severely limited only picking gathering professions for money income and the limited stat increases you do get from them?

5. In general, what are the 'chores' that you have to do to boost your character to a strong level? Like, I don't care for achievements cause they don't help me play, if you catch my drift I care about having a strong, fun PvP char, and I want to know that I can focus MAINLY on what I care about in the game's current state. That was one thing I liked about how WoW developed... it seemed Blizz enabled us more and more to focus solely on PvP if that's what we wanted to do.

6. Is the Warrior class generally considered fun and competitively balanced? Just your opinion on this. I'm leaning towards making an Undead Warrior

I appreciate all answers and comments
    Last edited by mmocaf7d4831fd; 2012-01-16 at 06:40 AM.

I can give you some answers that may help out.

1. Leveling is goes pretty darn fast nowadays. So approximately 5-6 days played when you hit 85.
    1-70 1 day, 70-80 1-2 day, 80-85 2-3 days.

2. It's really easy to catch up if you are active, do every Tol Barad you are able to join and you will have full Ruthless (last season) gear within a few days.
    And then you just have to kill some nuubs in arena to gain some points

3. Imo RBGs involving less individual skill and not necessarily more teamplay than arenas, i would say it's easier than arenas to gain rating, and it's much less frustrating because it's more relaxed than arenas.

4. I would say no, but then i'm kind of in to goldmaking so i make money from pretty much everything but mostly AH combined with some of my professions. I make most of my money with JC and enchanting scrolls, but also Alchemey, BS, Tailoring and Inscription :P

5. For the gear, you can run LFR once a week to get some nice PvE trinkets and some items that can be good for PvP as well. And LFR is so easy that a monkey can clear it so it wont be a problem.

6. The current state of warriors in PvP is poor, they aren't that good, the damage is insane so paring up with another melee for a cleave works i guess.
    Warriors have the lowest representation in arenas now since Season 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    XrayEU really covered it, I would reroll something else other than a warrior but goodluck.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot! Kinda bummed out by the warrior thing... maybe I should go for a mage

Does it really take something like 48-72 hours just going from 80-85 though? Seems like I did it faster back when Cataclysm came out (shortly before I stopped playing), but maybe I just don't remember

Yeah it might, i'm not sure at all how fast you level nowadays, but i remember that the last levels take a while.
    But however i think the played time 5-6 days is pretty accurate for average levling 1-85. I think you are able to hit 85 with 3 days if you hardcore leveling so i guess it's up to how dedicated you are

Deleted
    i can say i did 80-85 with like 14 hours played at release so it won't be 3 days played

Deleted
    Thanks again :-)

So maybe I should start a mage again. The most fun ranged class imo! If I do, would skinning + tailoring be a good choice for PvP you think? Can't shake the feeling that I will probably compromise just a tad too much by picking two gathering professions, even if that'd be easier and less 'chory'

Quote Originally Posted by xrayEU View Post
    1. Leveling is goes pretty darn fast nowadays. So approximately 5-6 days played when you hit 85.
    1-70 1 day, 70-80 1-2 day, 80-85 2-3 days.
    Took bit less then 2 days played to get my ench shaman to lvl 85. So if you remove BoA exp bonuses i'd say 3 days played max to get to 85. Since i've done it 2 weeks ago i recommend you to queue for new dungeons as soon as you're in their lvl range - you get 3-4 quests / each, clear them fast and get really fast exp. Helps you with jumping from one quest hub to another.

P.S. Warriors aren't in their best shape atm, but they're playable. Choose class you'll enjoy the most.
    P.P.S. Try to time getting lvl 85 to AV or IoC weekends, it's a really fast honor. AV can get you full honor set in 24 hrs easily.

if you are passionate about making a warrior, then go for it .. i play a warrior cause i love charging into battle with epic music playing in the background .. mages are awesome, but if you want a real challenge, roll a warrior and try to be the best at it.. i JUST recharged my wow account for the sake of pvp, getting my warrior from 84-85 now, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenslyn87 View Post
    Thanks again :-)

So maybe I should start a mage again. The most fun ranged class imo! If I do, would skinning + tailoring be a good choice for PvP you think? Can't shake the feeling that I will probably compromise just a tad too much by picking two gathering professions, even if that'd be easier and less 'chory'
    For optimizing your toon you should pick up Tailoring + something, but skinning is pretty much the worst you can pick up. But yeah it's a good goldmaking profession if you like to farm.

Tailoring gives 155 int avg.
    Engineering 80 int avg.
    Leatherworking 80 int avg.
    Jewelcrafting 81 int avg (if you are using full blue gems) only 51 int if you are full epic gem.
    Blacksmithing 80 int avg, 100 int if you are full epic gem.
    Alchemy 80 int.
    Enchanting 80 int.
    Inscription 80 int.
    Herbalism 80 haste.
    Skinning 80 crit.

Deleted
    Hmmm, guess balance could shift!

Would I compromise by picking an Undead Warrior? I think they look very cool, but I also think people rate them lowest in terms of racials :/

Deleted
    I levelled my warlock in 2 days 1-85, although that was with heirloom head,chest,shoulders,cloak, +10% guild bonus

warriors are not good right now

mages are massively OP

edit: undead warrior, while they look quite good, is not good for racials, as WoTF is pointless with beserker rage against all but double warlock or warlock/priest teams.

if you want to pvp on a warrior, best are probably human,gnome, tauren,orc (imo in that order, although human/gnome is a close call for warriors, as escape artist is brilliant against mages, but I love gnomes so i play one)
    Last edited by mmoc19d6468924; 2012-01-16 at 09:58 AM.

Deleted
    holy hell, tailoring is nice.

Thanks a lot for the list mate

Deleted
    Hmm, I thought warriors were okey, Swifty ftw

Nah just kidding :P

Deleted
    Isn't BE also quite good? I hear the silence is excellent

I play a mage, and I can't say much negative about the class. I have never had so much fun playing this game since I started my mage. I enjoy PvE for the most of it, but PvP is great too!

EDIT: Regarding race, I'd suggest you going for goblin, troll or orc, if it is PvE you are aiming for.

Looks -> Racials.
    Last edited by Glitchbeat; 2012-01-16 at 10:13 AM.
    "No, Ban-lu, I refuse to cut back on the mana buns."

Quote Originally Posted by Jenslyn87 View Post
    Thanks a lot! Kinda bummed out by the warrior thing... maybe I should go for a mage

Does it really take something like 48-72 hours just going from 80-85 though? Seems like I did it faster back when Cataclysm came out (shortly before I stopped playing), but maybe I just don't remember
    Nah, it's 2-3 hours per level once you hit 80.

Deleted
    Sounds good that leveling won't take that long.

But I'm only really aiming for PvP. Wouldn't Blood Elf be a great choice for a warrior then? It just seems like the silence / extra rage would be really good to have

Essentially, yes. The silence is handy to have, but if you see yourself as a skilled player, I would go for UD (or whatever race you prefer) over racials.
    "No, Ban-lu, I refuse to cut back on the mana buns."

Deleted
    Damn it's hard to pick a class just because you know that you're going to sink so many hours into it But I think I've settled with a mage afterall, just from watching PvP videos and stuff. They do still look fun.

Tailoring gives 155 int avg.
    Engineering 80 int avg.
    Leatherworking 80 int avg.
    Jewelcrafting 81 int avg (if you are using full blue gems) only 51 int if you are full epic gem.
    Blacksmithing 80 int avg, 100 int if you are full epic gem.
    Alchemy 80 int.
    Enchanting 80 int.
    Inscription 80 int.
    Herbalism 80 haste.
    Skinning 80 crit.

This chart holds true for a PvP mage? From browsing a bit, it seems that engineering is the preferred PvP profession. I guess all the gadgets can be good and fun, but they feel sort of 'out of character' for me.

Would a better combination be tailoring and something else? I'm just thinking that skinning would go well with tailoring, but if it's a bad choice overall I should probably not go that route for the ease of it :/