Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Am I too picky or are companies releasing crap lately?[PC]

Seriously..the ONLY good games I have played in the last year or 2 are as follows..

Portal 2
    Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    BF3
    Batman: Arkham City
    (Lots of indie games that I'm not going to bother listing)

Other big hits that I though were garbage:

SWTOR - Shouldn't have even been released in the state it's in.
    COD:BO - COD..is just not for PC gamers anymore.
    Brink - Overhyped POS that could have been good if they didn't try so hard to be different.
    Red Faction Armageddon - Most linear game I've played since Super Mario Bro's.
    Dragon Age 2 - Shouldn't even have Dragon Age in the name..sooo bad
    Cataclysm - Sigh
    LOTR: War in the North - Double sigh
    MW3 - Didn't buy it..but ffs can a developer/publisher get any lazier than this?
    Duke Nukem - 12yrs...
    Crysis 2 - Console port sequel of the game that turned PC graphics in a new direction. So much more linear than Crysis 1 as well. Big let down!

Ok I could go on but I don't wanna..but it's SO SAD that I have like 15 indie games that are $15-FREE that are done better than some of these blockbusters and personally I could sink more hours into Killing Floor or Bastion than I could in any of the games listed in the "garbage section"

Deleted
    well, witcher 2 was good as long it lasted.. (3 days or so?) everything got more and more fun, then you kill this guy.. bam.. game over..

Deleted
    Same with me really, although my good list involves DA2, ME2, SC2 and a few others as well as Skyrim, while I found Witcher 2 incredibly boring. It's probably a good game, just not my thing and I wasn't able to even finish it. Played it like 5 hours or so, then put on hold and haven't got back to it yet.

Dead Space 2 was fun for me and I'm about to get Saints Row: The Third. I just picked up this game called Dustforce on Steam. If you like platforming games then I'd recommend it.

Here's the trailer:

Millions of people are enjoying the games you listed. I think you've grown up, and along with that you've grown cynical. Stop being picky and enjoy what you have.

You think SWTOR is garbage and I think Skyrim is shit. Opinion is opinion.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Millions of people are enjoying the games you listed. I think you've grown up, and along with that you've grown cynical. Stop being picky and enjoy what you have.
    I agree with his list. The games he didn't like are either under average, terrible, or rehashes.

Stop buying into what you read online regarding all these games as 'broken' and 'lazy devs' and all that crap.

SW:TOR works well.
    Brink tried something new, and it didn't work. I don't call that lazy.
    DA2 was better than DA:O. Yes I said it.
    Cataclysm... well yes. I see your point.
    MW3 -> they took a system that works and made a few tweaks to make it better.

Sounds like you just buy into what the troll/vocal minority say about a game and let that influence your enjoyment of it. That is too bad because of those games you listed, most of them were very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    An millions of people aren't enjoying the games I listed..

You proved nothing here..

My question was, are games getting less adventurous, less complex and all around dumber for a dumber/younger audience? imo..yes.

MW3 is a perfect example but I really wouldn't like to get into a game battle in this thread..so I'll just say this. It's a $60 DLC with no innovation what-so-ever..

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Stop buying into what you read online regarding all these games as 'broken' and 'lazy devs' and all that crap.

SW:TOR works well.
    Brink tried something new, and it didn't work. I don't call that lazy.
    Cataclysm... well yes. I see your point.
    MW3 -> they took a system that works and made a few tweaks to make it better.

Sounds like you just buy into what the troll/vocal minority say about a game and let that influence your enjoyment of it. That is too bad because of those games you listed, most of them were very fun.
    Thats your opinion and fine..have it..but don't say I buy in to stuff.

I probably bought 50+ games on Steam alone(a lot of them indie games because of sales) from Jan 2011 - Jan 2012..I only listed a few of the "BIG HITS", which I mentioned in my post if you read it fully. I wouldn't go list a game that I found really fun but wasn't that popular, like Far Cry 2 for instance..I loved that game but it wasn't all that popular.
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-01-18 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    You think SWTOR is garbage and I think Skyrim is shit. Opinion is opinion.
    It's obvious that the whole first post is his opinion, but on top of the fact that he's the one spewing the words out he even put "Other big hits that I though were garbage:" right in there.

Wait a min... Are you telling me Skyrim was released bug free?

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    I agree with his list. The games he didn't like are either under average, terrible, or rehashes.
    And that's your opinion. I don't think TOR or LOTR War in the North is shit. It would be incredibly naive to assume that a person is going to like every game released. I find it strange that the OP says "companies are releasing crap lately" but then he lists several games that he really enjoyed. No, companies are not releasing crap lately, they just aren't all enjoyable to you.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    My question was, are games getting less adventurous, less complex and all around dumber for a dumber/younger audience? imo..yes.
    I wouldn't agree with you there, though. I'd cite Dustforce as an example of the opposite of what you're saying, and it just released yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I don't have anything to say to that.
    Last edited by Coke; 2012-01-18 at 06:44 AM.

An millions of people aren't enjoying the games I listed..

You proved nothing here..

Millions of people like cheeseburgers, millions of people don't like cheeseburgers. That doesn't mean the food is amazing, that doesn't mean the food is bad. It's stupid for you to think that just because you don't like it, it means that companies are losing quality. And I like how you try to indirectly insult those you don't agree with. It's childish, really.

Seriously..the ONLY good games I have played in the last year or 2 are as follows..

Portal 2
    Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    BF3
    Batman: Arkham City
    (Lots of indie games that I'm not going to bother listing)

Other big hits that I though were garbage:

SWTOR - Shouldn't have even been released in the state it's in.
    COD:BO - COD..is just not for PC gamers anymore.
    Brink - Overhyped POS that could have been good if they didn't try so hard to be different.
    Red Faction Armageddon - Most linear game I've played since Super Mario Bro's.
    Dragon Age 2 - Shouldn't even have Dragon Age in the name..sooo bad
    Cataclysm - Sigh
    LOTR: War in the North - Double sigh
    MW3 - Didn't buy it..but ffs can a developer/publisher get any lazier than this?
    Duke Nukem - 12yrs...
    Crysis 2 - Console port sequel of the game that turned PC graphics in a new direction. So much more linear than Crysis 1 as well. Big let down!

Ok I could go on but I don't wanna..but it's SO SAD that I have like 15 indie games that are $15-FREE that are done better than some of these blockbusters and personally I could sink more hours into Killing Floor or Bastion than I could in any of the games listed in the "garbage section"
    I'd say you're picky. RFA, DA2, Cataclysm and Crysis 2 from that garbage list were decent. Actually Cata was amazing. No, those games didn't blow your mind, but I wouldn't call them garbage.

So you've played through at least 15 games in the last year (two of which were MMOs!) and still have time to spend sitting around complaining about how unfulfilled you are?

Wish I had your free time and disposable income.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    I have to admit, I've enjoyed less games than I have in the past years.

loved skyrim
    loved portal 2
    loved bastion
    loved [insert other indie games here]

swtor... i dunno if its my comp (top end laptop i got in august) or the game's framerate itself is choppy, but I just couldn't stick with it
    Last edited by Rainec; 2012-01-18 at 06:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    Wait a min... Are you telling me Skyrim was released bug free?
    No, but it was purely playable on my PC when I got it. Which was a couple days after release.

I had no issues with the game. But SWTOR for instance..the entire engine, not an easy fix mind you, is causing spell lag in crucial situations, like PVP and Raiding. Or the countless bugs I could list that would probably leak on to the next page.

Again..I don't want this thread to turn into this game vs that game.

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 01:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So you've played through at least 15 games in the last year (two of which were MMOs!) and still have time to spend sitting around complaining about how unfulfilled you are?

Wish I had your free time and disposable income.
    I don't think you really grasp how long a year is..

You know it's 365 DAYS right?

SW:TOR is definitely not worth a subscription. It's a very awesome KOTOR 3, but the actual combat is just... not smooth at all. Raids are actually less interesting than what WoW has to offer (even in it's worst days, WoW has some innovative and fun fight mechanics).

Cataclysm was a failure from my POV mainly because I play to PvP and they major screwed this up. Marketing wise, it clearly shows Blizzard aiming for the F2P community eventually. The F2P-Shop market is just too huge to let go and the average gamer is losing interest in subscription games. F2P is where the future is and Blizzard will juice that cow more than chinese MMOs or LoL.

Skyrim was fun the first 30 hours. But it's a single player game so I didn't expect anything else.