Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to gain weight

I weight 37kg and after going through comments on my last thread I have decided to gain weight. Could you guys provide me with some valuable information to gain weight and beat my skinny heredities

Deleted
    After your last topic do you still think MMO-Champion is a good place for real life advice? :/

awww, cute attempt yogg.

Basically, EAT, eggs, meat etc. Proteins, and protein shakes a few times a day, and lift heavy weights at the gym :P. This is the short answer.
    Annyway depending on your goals, if u just wanna look nice i would actully recomend checking out
    www (DOT) leangains (DOT)com
    Even though there is Alooot of methods that works depending on your goal, you should first find out what you want and surf the net etc, the information is out there . Its most likely not here at MMO-champ though.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by runkel View Post
    Basically, EAT, eggs, meat etc. Proteins, and protein shakes a few times a day, and lift heavy weights at the gym :P. This is the short answer.
    Annyway depending on your goals, if u just wanna look nice i would actully recomend checking out
    Even though there is Alooot of methods that works depending on your goal, you should first find out what you want and surf the net etc, the information is out there . Its most likely not here at MMO-champ though.

GL
    Thanks bro ill be back when i get some muscles

Quote Originally Posted by runkel View Post

GL
    I am no expert, but isn't carbohydrats better for weight gain? And don't join a gym, such a scam, buy some weights and practice at home... or start lifting one end of your sofa up and down, just make sure u keep ur back straight and lift with your legs.

if you don't like your body the way it is now you may have troubles liking what you become after ingesting obscene amounts of calories. reassess your goals and figure out why you look the way you do and then try to figure out what your short-term goals are going to be. overeating is an easy way to accumulate adipose tissue, which is never lost only reduced in size. so if you want to look bulky and out of shape then yeah, eat tons of protein and mess with your liver by eating tons of sugars.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    I am no expert, but isn't carbohydrats better for weight gain? And don't join a gym, such a scam, buy some weights and practice at home... or start lifting one end of your sofa up and down, just make sure u keep ur back straight and lift with your legs.
    Gyms are far from a scam. For 10 bucks a month I have a place to go 5-6 days a week and never repeat the same thing twice.

Plus girl watching. Oh yoga pants, how I love thee.

Gaining weight is tough for some, I'm 29 and still have trouble(6'1", 175). 3-4 protein shakes a day, meat, veggies, carbs. I put on weight slowly that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    yes and no. carbs are part of building up muscle but protein is the main re-builder of muscles. And lifting a end of a sofa up isn't going to do much unless you have the body of a 10 year old.

If you want to build muscle then start lifting weights with higher weight and fewer reps. Do some research online or call up and talk to a personal trainer at a local gym. They're more than happy to give you some advice.

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

Deleted
    Dude, 37kg?................

Its simple you have to eat more, increase your portion size eat it even if you feel full! i gained a stone over the last 6months and hope to push another over the next i didnt go for some crazy diet i just made sure i ate!

4 weetabix in a pint of milk for breakfast > sandwich meal deal on my uni campus, sandwich crisps drink// when i wasnt being lazy tuna pasta with spring onion here i didnt really like it but cheap and nutritious > 2 chicken breast, rice and veg for dinner various sauces spices etc for chicken i was just making sure i ate big! if i did have rice i had pasta. finally later on a couple of hours before bed some snake, cashews, 4 weetabix, protein shake.

That was my base diet, if i ever felt i could eat between these meals i always tried to get in milkshakes or nuts or whatever i fancied with a goal of gaining weight you just gotta eat! im generally not that big on fatty foods tho im always giving in too a maccies/subway :P

this change pushed me over 5kgs over 6months with very little change in fat, combined with free weights for arms, back, squats, and finally sit ups.

Im ALOT more confident for it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You weigh 5.8stone?

What sex,age and height are you?

Take in more calories than you burn, that's the simple answer.

Consult a doctor to ascertain your health needs is better. Weight is less important than overall health/diet. Gaining empty calories yet starving your body of essential vitamins and minerals is more detrimental overall.

There was an interesting TED talk that relates to this from a doctor who reversed a medical condition she had when she changed her dietary intake.

It is very easy to gain weight... oh gee i swear on my life 70% of the adults i see are just fat but somewhat they have abs which erks me.

Im guessing you pretty much eat fatening foods and just basically be a couch potato otherwise saying exceed your calories everyday and burn less or burn nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefkow View Post
    It is very easy to gain weight... oh gee i swear on my life 70% of the adults i see are just fat but somewhat they have abs which erks me.

Im guessing you pretty much eat fatening foods and just basically be a couch potato otherwise saying exceed your calories everyday and burn less or burn nothing at all.
    No, it is not easy for everyone. Don't give advice with knowledge you are clearing lacking.

Given your weight you're going to need to drastically increase calories, conventional bulking is not going to work for you. My guess too is you live off sugar and do nothing active. Head over to bodybuilding.com forums and read read read. Those guys will probably make fun of you, but they'll have helpful advice. Best of luck, its far easier for overweight people to make diet changes, do cardio and see results. Don't get discouraged, you're probably a year away from achieving your ideal goal, persistence and dedication are key.

81 lb..? Isn't that like the average weight of an 11 year old? Either you are very short (<5 feet), chronically anorexic, or a nerdy & skinny middle schooler looking to beef up to fight back the playground bullies? If it's the first one, I wouldn't try too much to gain weight. Someone that short and of small stature probably needs no more than 1500 calories a day just to maintain weight. If you start consuming calorie dense food, you'll start gaining weight in a bad way. You need to increase protein, carbs (good ones like that from milk or whole grains), iron, and non saturated fats into your diet at slowly increasing levels. An easy way to do this would be to eat a diet like someone trying to lose weight would, except add some calories increasing ingredients.

Example:
    Make a large salad for a meal and add cooked eggs, a medium fat dressing (maybe 2% milkfat), and a hearty non-red meat like ham, turkey, or chicken. Trust me, you can make a 600 calorie salad that will give you a very balanced nutrient load that will also help you beef up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you lift, or preferably power lift, I could recommend you this - designed for my students/lifters.

There is typically a lot of confusion in conjunction with a lot of bad advice when it comes to what I like to call "eating for purpose." While it is one thing to eat to survive, it is another thing altogether to eat to accumulate strength and muscle mass. In Powerlifting or any strength-centered sport, if one's intention is to gain strength and lean muscle mass, on top of lifting heavy, one must also eat in a manner that provides the body with what it needs to build muscle and strength.

There is ONE fact that all young lifters have a hard time grasping: FOOD IS THE MOST ANABOLIC SUBSTANCE ON EARTH. All of the supplements in the world will not take it's place. Save for a few supplements, most of what the various Supplement stores peddle to you guys is typically garbage. I will talk more about this in a minute.

To "eat for purpose," the rules are to KEEP IT SIMPLE. If you follow these simple rules below, you WILL get stronger, which in turn will bring forth added muscle mass and weight:

1) Eat between 4 and 6 meals per day. Make sure that at least 3 of the meals are 'square meals' meaning actual FOOD. The general rule of thumb to keep this even simpler is to force yourself to eat every 3-4 hours. Set your watch, and plan accordingly.

2) Each meal should have between 20 and 40 grams of protein; whether this be through an actual food meal or a shake.

3) Drink as much water as you can. Spread it out evenly throughout the day. Shoot for finishing at least 1 gallon, if not more. Have at least 12 ounces of water after each meal, as it aids digestion.

4) Each meal should have approximately 30 to 80 grams of COMPLEX carbohydrates per meal. Complex carbohydrates are slow-acting, long lasting carbs that provide the body with fuel. Examples of complex carbs include, but are not limited to: Oatmeal, 100% Whole Grain Bread, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Pasta (preferably whole grain), etc. Check nutrition labels, learn them, they are your friend.

5) Veggies are your friend. Preferably raw or steamed.

6) Simple carbohydrates are SUGARS. Think candy, pop, junk food snacks, etc. Avoiding these are a good idea. However, fruit sources are largely sugary but are OK in that they provide a good amount of macronutrients and anti-oxidants. The only time that I advocate using clean, simple carbs is IMMEDIATELY after a workout in conjunction with 30 grams of protein.

Fats: Learn the difference between good and bad fats. The truth is, a little bit of fat will not hinder you. In fact, they are actually a bit BETTER for you than too much sugar. GOOD fats can be found in: Meat- Beef, Chicken, Eggs, and especially FISH. Also, various nuts are excellent sources of GOOD fats- Seeds, Peanuts, Almonds, Cashews, Pistachio's, Brazil nuts, etc are all good ideas.

Eating for purpose while in high school of college...

Meal 1 = Breakfast. NEVER skip breakfast. In fact, eat as much as humanly possible. Make sure there is plenty of both complex carbs and Protein in each breakfast.

Meal 2 = (Snack- around 2nd or 3rd Period). Bring a protein bar, beef jerky, milk, nuts, etc. Something quick that you can choke down in a hurry.

Meal 3 = Lunch. Make good food choices! Know the foods you should be focusing on and stick to those. Again...high complex carbs, high protein, moderate fat. MILK is an excellent muscle food any time of the day. I used to buy 3 or 4 milks when I was in high school just to make sure I got plenty of protein.

Meal 4 = Post-Workout: IMMEDIATELY after your workout is the perfect time to eat for anabolic purposes. A Protein or meal-Replacement shake is ideal. This is the only time where simple sugars are actually an asset to your diet.

Meal 5 = Dinner: If Mama cooks it, EAT IT.

Meal 6 = Late-night snack: You don't NEED to have this meal, but if you DO, make sure that it is high in protein.

SUPPLEMENTS: While they are NOT necessary, I WILL say that a high quality Protein Powder and/or Meal Replacement powder is money well-spent. Protein BARS are pretty good too! I would also add that every teenager, especially you guys and girls, should have a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement. The Wal-mart Men's or Women's Daily will suffice. ANYTHING BESIDES THAT IS GARBAGE, and I promise you the chump working the counter at GNC or wherever will be happy to rob you of your money promising you that one or more supplements are the "next big thing!" Buyer beware! And, for the love of all things Holy, DO NOT use or buy those pro-hormones. They SHOULD be illegal by now, but if not, they don't work anyway. If your lucky, you'll get all of the bad side-effects of hormones, and absolutely NONE of the gains. Also, they shut DOWN your body's own anabolic hormones; aka Testosterone, and this you DO NOT want. Plus, you'll fail the drug test in a sanctioned meet!

I am not big on Creatine. Why? First, while it MIGHT add a small amount of strength, it's effects are NOT permanent. Second, if you are not drinking enough water, you are risking muscle strains or tears. Third, a good creatine is expensive, and you are better off saving your money for more Protein powder or Meal-Replacement powder. The weight you gain on it is water.

So, to conclude, make sure your food intake is CONSISTENT, and as high-quality as you can get. Just eat every 3-4 hours. If you can't have a meal, have a snack or shake.

Another rule is, don't wait until hunger. Eat BEFORE you get hungry.

A 'ghetto' recipe from Coach Fox's secret chamber:

Poor Man's Weight Gainer Shake:
    10 oz of milk
    8 oz of water plus a few ice cubes
    1 banana
    2 scoops of Protein powder
    1/2 cup of PLAIN Yogurt
    1 cup of dry Oatmeal (the stuff in the cardboard can)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    ^^^ All of this for dieting is unnecessary.

OP, figure out your maintenance calories. Add 300-500 cals, lift 3x a week focusing on compound lifts. Your diet should consist of whole foods, feel free to treat yourself once in awhile or just fit your favorite foods into your daily allowance. Get 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass(if you don't know your LBM, just do body weight), .45 grams of fat per lb of bodyweight. In your case, just go w/ 80+ grams of protein & 35-40 grams of fat. Also, eat when it's convenient for you. No need to eat every few hours.

Edit: creatine is very inexpensive. You can get 200+ serving for around $20. As for a routine, look into starting strength by mark ripptoe.
    Last edited by Shik Valentine; 2012-02-07 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikomei_TFC View Post
    ^^^ All of this for dieting is unnecessary.

OP, figure out your maintenance calories. Add 300-500 cals, lift 3x a week focusing on compound lifts. Your diet should consist of whole foods, feel free to treat yourself once in awhile or just fit your favorite foods into your daily allowance. Get 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass(if you don't know your LBM, just do body weight), .45 grams of fat per lb of bodyweight. In your case, just go w/ 80+ grams of protein & 35-40 grams of fat. Also, eat when it's convenient for you. No need to eat every few hours.

Edit: creatine is very inexpensive. You can get 200+ serving for around $20. As for a routine, look into starting strength by mark ripptoe.
    A schedule helps a lot of people visualize just how much food you need to eat above maintenance to gain weight on a strength program. It definitely helps me to pre-plan my meals. If I don't, no way in hell am I hitting my 4k unless I just GOMAD it. We could all debate the merits of meal timing until the cows come home but having a meal schedule definitely keeps you eating even when your body says it isn't hungry.