Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    To be honest it's pretty obvious i have no idea what you are talking about here. We have stickies for the uninformed pls read that. Just saying that its free to play tells us all we have to know. Pls read up and then draw a conclusion
    So wait its not free to play?? what does that have to do with anything? Its not a sub based MMO so yes it would be easy to play along side a traditional sub based MMO that I play atm, im sorry but what does that tell you other than you being rude? I do not know all the ins and outs of this game as I have just recently started taking a look at it,read this thread and responded but dont worry ill get to the stickies

By the same token:
    I mean how many times can you do the raids before you've been there done that?
    Ill give you that one for sure but its the carrot (the gear and stat progression) that keeps players like myself doing those activities and frankly, and I know that not everyone does, but I do enjoy that aspect of games. The poster above highlighted the fact that there "are" stats on gear and I will kindly do as the other poster suggested and read up but after reading other comments in this thread about how it didn't matter and it was pretty much just cosmetic, if that's true, just threw me from what initially has been peaking my interest. Take it for what you will.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-01-22 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linitund View Post
    Nonono - That's a complete misconception of what actually happened and you know it. It was ''Ignore the good, zerg the 100 resi'd shcrubnub for your free honor and then I might go onto the good depending on who else is with me at the time."
    soooo what's going to stop people from doing that in GW2? "zerg the baddie in generic gear b/c he doesnt know how to play"

o wait i know what's going to stop it, having only 5 people to defend 3 capture points
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The game is B2P guys. There's no "Should I commit myself to this game because I'm paying a monthly fee!?!?!?!?"

You pay £30-£40 for the game and boom. It's yours. Stop thinking this is going to be a traditional MMO that requires you to log in everyday, do the daily grind and farm PvP to gather the best of the best. What should keep you logging in everyday? The fact you enjoy the game.

Also with the power plateau there is no feeling that if you stopped playing for a month, you'll be left behind. The vast majority of people are so used to the wow model that I think it will take a bit of time and patience to understand that there are other ways of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Also with the power plateau there is no feeling that if you stopped playing for a month, you'll be left behind. The vast majority of people are so used to the wow model that I think it will take a bit of time and patience to understand that there are other ways of playing.
    Yet if you put a lot of time into a game, yet never progress because anyone that logs in is constantly at the same level as you. What is the point? At least if you put work into it, and have gear that is better than someone who plays once a month, you can feel like you actually stronger as a character.

I still don't see people exactly the same from the moment you hit max level except for new clothes could be any fun after 2 weeks..
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    So I have a question. I realize there is no raiding and whenever you want to pvp, you que and get pushed to level 80 with all the pvp gear unlocked.

So then, as a level 80 what gives me the incentive to farm PvE or PvP gear? I could just hit level 80 and que for PvP and have all the gear available to me.

Am I missing something?

Someone explain please
    You do realise its basically a simple PVP orientated style which allows you to not waste time doing what you would normally do in a mmo.

I know ill get slammed for saying this but its basically like COD.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=saberon;15167293... at 50 you use your own shit.[/QUOTE]

I can't say that I fancy doing that. Surely you would be better using a sword. A sword is far more robust for fighting, than any sort of excrement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Yet if you put a lot of time into a game, yet never progress because anyone that logs in is constantly at the same level as you. What is the point? At least if you put work into it, and have gear that is better than someone who plays once a month, you can feel like you actually stronger as a character.

I still don't see people exactly the same from the moment you hit max level except for new clothes could be any fun after 2 weeks..
    To have fun?

There are plenty of other things that can be given as rewards to earn over time than a difference in power. I just don't see why this is something that's required. What other types of games are out there that are played primarily to earn something that automatically makes you better at the game? Fighting games, shooters, RTS, MOBA, etc don't do that. Sports don't do that. Board games don't do that. Life doesn't do that.

Besides, I'd much prefer feeling better as a player for overcoming an obstacle by improving how I play to feeling like I have a stronger character after overcoming an obstacle because I got a higher stats.
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

15+ Year Old Account

Pretty much every post you have made here says that you don't like the way the game is. Why are you still here if you obviously don't like it and have no plans to play it?

Then I bid you farewell good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Ill give you that one for sure but its the carrot (the gear and stat progression) that keeps players like myself doing those activities and frankly, and I know that not everyone does, but I do enjoy that aspect of games.
    Fun. And looks is the only carrot there is. Stats is an illusion. Stats are what make you deal more damage than other people without actually having to play better than them, while looks is what shows what you really want to show: that you have done something that was hard. It's like titles. It's like the mounts you get from Glory of the X.

Also...

Gear progression is, in theory, used because you have tiers. If gear didn't progress, then you could farm gear in Tier 11, and then go straight to beat Madness of Deathwing. It's also used to extend content, by making bossfights you can't beat because they are massive gearchecks, which demands that you do the bosses you have already beaten over and over, until you have enough gear to execute the fight.

However, if you have no raiding, and no tiers, and no demand of having to do something to get to something else at the same level, then gear progression in endgame has no other use than thumbs up'ing the Skinner Box.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2012-01-22 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Pretty much every post you have made here says that you don't like the way the game is. Why are you still here if you obviously don't like it and have no plans to play it?
    Oh I'm still going to buy the game, I'm just trying to get someone to explain how a Role-playing game where your character doesn't advance other than new clothes could hold the attention of a large population.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

What ive learned today, and which i found really interresting is how wow makes you think you evolve.

A new season comes along, you spend two days farming all the honor gear, you basicly made yourself 5% better, Thou, you also gain 5% more armor and 5% more resillience.
    What do you accomplish, except changing out your gear?
    You gain nothing, you get visiual gains.

How fun wouldent wow be, if the gear and content you did at the start of the game will stay just as hard for the reminder of the game?
    If you could go into instance, without being overgeared and it would actually be a challange? And then do it with friends 4 months later and its still just as hard. And then add the factor that the content changes everytime you do it.

Whats fun with content that is hard at the start, and then you get all the craftable gear, and some gear and you oneshot heroics for 5 months and you have to grind them to keep up with the tokens and gear?
    Whats the point? Wouldent it be better to just say, hey! lets do this for fun, and not because you HAVE too.

Another thing in wow is the routine, you logg inn, do 15 dailys, do weekly pvp quests, weekly baradin hold.
    Then you sit and wait for a raid to happen, the raid happens and your done for the week.
    The next day you logg inn, do you daily quests, checks check ah
    And then do exactly what? Logg on your alt and do the same routine?

I mean, when you break down wow, all you do is to change out your gear visiually and gain very little, atleast compared to others on your competetive rating.
    How many times when playing wow have you not been mad because you clearly SEE that someone outgear you as hell, and get stomped on just because they outgear you?

Isent it better to be able to jump into world pvp for 3 hours, have a blast, in a multizone with 2k people duking it out?
    then do some duengeons, fight challanging encounters that never is the same with friends.
    Did i mention that you did not have to search lf tank/healer for 30 minutes? And that you dont need to queue with retards who knows nothing?
    Then jump into some instanced pvp and fight people from everywhere from 1vs1, 2vs2 up till 10vs10 and everyone is equal when it comes to gear and the only thing that decide who wins is skill?
    Then your friends come online and you do ranked pvp, and earn points towards a monthly tournament that you can win cash in?

Explain whats wrong with this?

Whats more fun? standing there outgearing a guy and having x% advantage over him in pvp?
    Or owning him when you got equal gear?
    I will find alot more entertainment winning over people when i know they had a 50% chance to win at the start of the fight, and I won.
    Last edited by Ajesto; 2012-01-22 at 06:46 PM.

Oh I'm still going to buy the game, I'm just trying to get someone to explain how a Role-playing game where your character doesn't advance other than new clothes could hold the attention of a large population.
    Yeah I wonder how. How could Skyrim be fun after lvl 15 when you had full deadric armor and never needed a new item again.

You still progress your character with skills, story, traits, server reputation etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars is known for it's PvP franchise, so yeah there you have your answer.
    The perfumed* boys he wrapped in chains and threw into the sea. They were unnatural creatures, and the ship smelled better once cleansed of their presence.

*Degenerative Casuals

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you explain why a game needs to artificially make itself easier as a player spends more time in it to hold that player's attention?

A fun game doesn't need to provide a reward for a player spending time with it. Playing a fun game is its own reward. If you don't actually have fun in a game, maybe you should rethink your continued patronage of that game?
    Also known as Welcome on the WoW forums.

Deleted
    If cataclysm learned me 1 thing its that the general populace is not interested in a challenge though they just want their carrot and they will whine if its to hard. I loved the dungeons at the start of cata, they were roflstomp proof. But when the gear steps in and the nurfhammer comes down its all the same daily routine grind. I for one hope arenanet throws some challenges at us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your character does advance through personal story lines, which gives vanity stuff aswell as changing your home instance according to your decisions, which you can show off to friends.

Ok, I've been reading this thread and it made really sad tbh.

First off, GW 2 fans have to realize that GW2 is NOT going to be for everyone. And you know what?...that's completely fine. It is pretty obvious that ArenaNet is not trying to do what other most recent themepark MMOs like WoW try to do. They want to make a different kind of game, that would appeal more to the traditional MMO players that played the game for the actual MMO experience (+ some pure old school competitive scene) and people who would like to try an MMO but they don't like many aspects of modern MMOs similar to WoW.

Some people play MMOs for the soul purpose of getting loot in order to get more loot which they call "end game", and everything else is just a sauce. I am going to straight up and say that indeed GW2 is not going to be a game you would enjoy. Luckily, there is a very popular MMO which has an active development team that fits you right and it's called World of Warcraft. There are also many similar games on the market. Please don't come here and complain that we say to you "go back to WoW" because it is pretty obvious that this is the type of game you enjoy.

Do you play any games besides mmos? Have you played an FPS or League of Legends for example? How come people play those for so long even though they can't "advance" their power plateau there?

One thing is, you'll have to have a bit of an open mind to accept different ideas. If you can't, well then I suspect you'll always be disappointed.