Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    SWTOR is sanctum of world pvp. Some people that don't meet opposite faction players either play on unbalanced (factionwise) server or are just blind or play at wrong time. I've always battled 10-12 republic players in each zone when played my currently 34lvl sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by dothetango View Post
    I understand that some of this happens in Lineage 2, but I've listed the very basics. I kept it as simple as possible... i gave enough knowledge to let the readers know what the game is "about". All of the other ideas we've come up with currently aren't in any other games, and would make it way different than Lineage 2, or GW2.
    did you read my lengthy post regarding full loot pvp, full attack, siege, realm pvp, etc? I would like to see your thoughts on those specific ideas

10+ Year Old Account
    Warhammer online is based on world pvp and like 100,000 people still sub on the last server on there, it's pretty damn active.

I did, but because I have a low amount of posts, it has to be approved by a moderator.. do you have AIM or SKYPE? We can chat over that if you'd like.

There has to be severe punishment when you die.
    As for player owned territories... There have to be a few territories that are owned by NPC factions and can't be conquered by players (like a capital city) for the game to be able to function properly. But a lot of secondary zones and cities should be open for capture by players.

yep, we've taken all of that into consideration, haxartus.

although, i'd say that the majority of people don't like there to be severe punishment when you die

yep, we've taken all of that into consideration, haxartus.

although, i'd say that the majority of people don't like there to be severe punishment when you die
    The idea is to have risk/reward with pvp. For example, if you kill someone, you take a part of their money or gear.
    Also the existence of overpowered items should be allowed, but only for people that have worked really hard for them.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The idea is to have risk/reward with pvp. For example, if you kill someone, you take a part of their money or gear.
    Also the existence of overpowered items should be allowed, but only for people that have worked really hard for them.
    personally, i wouldn't like working my ass off for my gear, and then someone taking it. but, we're thinking of making the currency all gold. for example, you buy everything with gold.. even items, as opposed to commendations. Taking money from their bodies is most definitely going to be implemented in the game. However, I don't know if you will actually take it from the player (you get 1 gold when you loot their body, they lose 1 gold).

We're thinking of implementing different ways of being powerful.. by this, i mean the king mechanic and a few other things as well.

personally, i wouldn't like working my ass off for my gear, and then someone taking it.
    When you go to casual pvp you wouldn't wear your best gear, just gear that you can replace. If someone decides to wear more expensive gear and you kill them... well, you win big time.
    Everything should be purchasable with ingame currency, but some of the powerful stuff should cost the equivalent of millions of gold in WoW.
    Some of my ideas here are taken from EvE online. You should check out the game.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    When you go to casual pvp you wouldn't wear your best gear, just gear that you can replace. If someone decides to wear more expensive gear and you kill them... well, you win big time.
    Everything should be purchasable with ingame currency, but some of the powerful stuff should cost the equivalent of millions of gold in WoW.
    Some of my ideas here are taken from EvE online. You should check out the game.
    casual pvp meaning what?

what would be the point of buying gear if you just lost it all when you die? all that hard work down the tube.... i think there's a select few people that would like something along those lines. kinda reminds me of playing hardcore on diablo.

casual pvp meaning what?

what would be the point of buying gear if you just lost it all when you die? all that hard work down the tube.... i think there's a select few people that would like something along those lines. kinda reminds me of playing hardcore on diablo.
    The point being that you can earn a lot more than it costs with it.
    In EvE you can earn 10-15 million an hour with a ship that costs 35 mill + 25 mill in fittings (gear in WoW terms).
    And you wouldn't buy such ship if you didn't have at least 500-600 mill so you can replace it at any time.

casual pvp meaning what?

exactly. Remember those good ol' days of HC diablo2 Closed Battle.net? When everyone would do a run a griefer would to hostile? There was a mad dash to quickly TP out or you're dead -

look to games like UO or darkfall for examples of full loot pvp. When you pvp in today's MMOs but there really isn't any sense of loss when you die, well you just respawn and try again. When there is something very real that's at stake, the adrenaline rush is crazy.

Imagine yourself being chased. You stand to lose everything if he catches you. Believe me, you will be weaving in and out of trees, bushes, anything you can do throw him off. The feeling is unbelievably intense.

You also just need to think, how is my game actually different from wow, if really, much of it is the same?

also about losing all your gear. when everyone has access to everyone else's gear so to speak, the gear actually becomes very fluid, in terms of how it's passed around. That's where your guild comes into play where everyone put resources together in a pool for crafted gear. So when you are ganked, you let your guild know and you'll have a full set in no time flat. You just need to be more careful next time, don't be venturing out alone.

The thing is, it sounds like you want a pvp game, but you're holding back a little on some really hardcore elements that make pvp the danger it could be. For example let's say you want the players to be able to protect their gear. You could always implement something that says, items by default are not soulbound. For it to be soulbound, you need to see a crafter who'll perform that service for you, using difficult to obtain and extremely expensive mats. But if you soulbind that item - you may not remove it without destroying it. So then there's a price to pay(as it should be).

You can still drop items you are wearing in Lineage 2 if you die at PvP.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

My brother and I, as well as a long time WoW friend are brainstorming ideas for a game that we would eventually like to propose to a company.

I won't get into details, as a lot of our ideas are very innovative, and unique, but I'll ask this question:

Would you guys be interested in a World PvP mmo, and if so, what kind of things would you like to see?

Also, if you're interested in joining us with this project, feel free to contact me so we can discuss things further.

Thanks, and I look forward to some of your responses!
    So you mean Lineage II 2.0? The old days had some crazy world pvp. I wouldn't mind a pvp-based game but dont expect it to be successful...

Usually, pvp-based mmos are either under the radar or they crash and burn... PvP is a niche crowd
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    also about losing all your gear. when everyone has access to everyone else's gear so to speak, the gear actually becomes very fluid, in terms of how it's passed around. That's where your guild comes into play where everyone put resources together in a pool for crafted gear. So when you are ganked, you let your guild know and you'll have a full set in no time flat. You just need to be more careful next time, don't be venturing out alone.
    The fact that you can kill someone and take a part of their gear doesn't mean that you would be able to wear it. Maybe it's not for your specific class or you don't meet the requirements.
    But you should be able to instantly sell it and buy something for yourself. No more soulbound stuff.

casual pvp meaning what?

Risk vs reward does a lot for the intensity of any game.

10+ Year Old Account
    World PVP rarely works though. You almost always end up in some 5 on 2 situation, or in SWTORs case 300 on 20! You would have to implement strict faction population control to keep the sides fairly even and keep the pvp somewhat balanced.

I have a 50 Jugg and Vanguard in SWTOR, and playing on both sides of the faction imbalance, neither was any fun. It just sucks. World PvP in my mind now is just for people who want to have an overwhelming unfair advantage in numbers to roll over random people.

I'd rather have a PVP MMO built around balanced classes, organized competition, and combat that rewards player's quick thinking, cooperation, game knowledge, and response time.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    World PVP rarely works though. You almost always end up in some 5 on 2 situation, or in SWTORs case 300 on 20! You would have to implement strict faction population control to keep the sides fairly even and keep the pvp somewhat balanced.
    The 5 on 2 situation wouldn't be a problem if it was possible to escape, but it's hard for tab targeting MMO's to make that possible without making escapes too good and always work.

Like in Darkfall it worked excellent, you could evade 50 people if you had your eyes open and knew what you were doing and you could escape from fights by mounting up and avoiding arrows/spells from the people chasing you, using the environment whenever possible.

And that's also the reason you have 3 or more factions, because with two factions there will always be faction imbalances.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post

I have a 50 Jugg and Vanguard in SWTOR, and playing on both sides of the faction imbalance, neither was any fun. It just sucks. World PvP in my mind now is just for people who want to have an overwhelming unfair advantage in numbers to roll over random people.

I'd rather have a PVP MMO built around balanced classes, organized competition, and combat that rewards player's quick thinking, cooperation, game knowledge, and response time.
    yea i think world pvp works better with a low TTK in a game thats skill based. In Plnaetside its quite easy to defend against 20 people with just 3 or so, because you can pick them off fast so you're not getting overwhelmed, also there is no in combat healing, so even if you rush in and die you can still take afew without, unlike wow or SWTOR or something where you jsut get stunend and whoever you;re targeting gets healed up.

I am sorta surprised at the lack of mentions of Planetside 1 and 2 though...sadface.
    Xilë - Affixed - Frostmourne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
    yea i think world pvp works better with a low TTK in a game thats skill based. In Plnaetside its quite easy to defend against 20 people with just 3 or so, because you can pick them off fast so you're not getting overwhelmed, also there is no in combat healing, so even if you rush in and die you can still take afew without, unlike wow or SWTOR or something where you jsut get stunend and whoever you;re targeting gets healed up.

I am sorta surprised at the lack of mentions of Planetside 1 and 2 though...sadface.
    World PvP being Skill Based? Maybe in teamwork sure but anything else, blah

Planetside 2 looks good for wPvP and looking forward to GW2 for normal PvP. TOR has a decent PvP but needs to be worked on...

Apparently DAOC2 is being in the making ...
    -K