Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Being possitive in Arenas

My self and a friend decided to make a 2s team this season just to have some fun, we are both primarily in to pve content (enjoying pvp alot more myself ATM) so we thought we would see how high of a ratting we could get in the bracket. We got to 1400 no problems and then we seemed to have hit our wall, for 2 nights we watched our ratting slowly drop. Came in the next night with a positive attitude and was there just to have some laughs. We went in and won with ease, almost got hot streak and got to 1600! not bad for this being my first time participating in arenas! Just being positive creates smooth communication and easy execution.

Now remember, Not saying 1600 is high!

hey 1600 is good for beginners in arena. eventually you learn the tricks of some areas and how each class interacts against you. and hey its awesome you had fun doing arenas cuz alot of mine end in headaches when i do em with pugs for points lol

are your gems a joke or are you seriously that bad

Try to post more constructively ~ Ultima
    Last edited by Ultima; 2012-01-24 at 10:22 PM.

Staying positive is probably the main thing when it comes down to competitive play, -until you go vs ferals and the rollface and win but thats for another thread- makes you play better in general if you aren't pissed off. Best thing to help you improve is watch streams and movies of good people + Skill-capped.com.

P.S Frapsing yourself and watching back to spot mistakes helps alot too, if you're wanting to take arena seriously!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are playing your vial rogue Id be surprised if you could ever get negative doing Arenas.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

As hunter-warrior we hover around 1500 ourselves. We only just got back to WoW after not playing for a while due to school and simply interest in other games. Each of us only have 2 pieces of Conquest; so not really all that geared. There have been quite a few polls here that ask "What is the most frustrating class?", etc. and the two highest options are always hunter and warrior.

Also, both classes have been asking for desperate buffs for a while. So for 2 underpowered classes (what it seems like) I think 1500 in our current gear (also, no healing each other - only heals are Victory Rush, Enraged Regen, and Chimera Shot - so not much survivability on either of us). Pretty much just find lowest geared player, pop everything, LOL!

Edit: I think we're about 55-45.

Hunters are faaaaaar from underpowered in 2v2. My ret paladin partner can tank just about any other class but if we let a hunter go for 5 seconds without any peels he will 100-0 him like it's nothing. Their burst is insane and they have huge control versus melee.

But yeah, warriors need some help :P

Keep playing, Learn other classes and learn to predict. After that the sky is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Hunters are faaaaaar from underpowered in 2v2. My ret paladin partner can tank just about any other class but if we let a hunter go for 5 seconds without any peels he will 100-0 him like it's nothing. Their burst is insane and they have huge control versus melee.

But yeah, warriors need some help :P
    It depends. If the hunter has good gear? Lol, you're dead. If the hunter has average gear and you get on him? you don't stand a chance. You have to simply look at a hunter and he will be forced to pop nearly every defensive coolldown he has... and then some.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickx View Post
    are your gems a joke or are you seriously that bad
    Try to post more constructively ~ Ultima
    My friend, people dont get R1 first time when they step in arena.
    Yes 1600 mmr is good for a newby player.
    I remember myself when i got 1600, and was not so easy, was a real acomplishment.
    Now i'm Glad (on 4 classes).
    I bet you are not even close to 1600, dont hate others, try to start with you.

To OP : gj mate, be confident, you will perform better every time ... see you on Cyclone & Misery Battlegroups

Yeah yeah positive whatever.

But some days are just gonna be bad days, take what you take, stop, and wait for another. It always happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    It depends. If the hunter has good gear? Lol, you're dead. If the hunter has average gear and you get on him? you don't stand a chance. You have to simply look at a hunter and he will be forced to pop nearly every defensive coolldown he has... and then some.
    I would maybe suggest checking out a few vids on kiting and controlling melee.

TBH if a Hunter knows how to kite well he shouldn't get touched much in Arena vs melee atm. If his partner (your Warrior) is actively doing his job you should never really be touched. He has Imp HS, Throwdown, Charge to name a few peels that he can use to discourage a melee off you.

Atm I play Ret/Dk/Disc and I personally think Hunters are in the top 3 scariest classes for our comp. We can't stay on Hunters due to Conc Glyphed counter Deaths Advance and their burst forces us defensive after even 2-3 seconds out on the open.

I agree that your comp isn't easy but in all reality you should be able to practically force them to turn on your Warrior which then will allow you to peel them with damage and either force them to go defensive or die.

OT: First off congrats on 1600 that is a big step for someone so new to Arena don't let anyone tell you differently.

Definitely I agree with you. I actually like to stop on any nights when someone gets angry. You can't play when upset. It makes people make mistakes and I'd rather go do 2's than sit there losing pts when it actually matters.

While yea, being positive and all that helps and all that warm huggy stuff.

If your playing healadin/dk in 2's and only 1600, or any losses with a legendary geared vial rogue, not sure how being negative or positive matters.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serurian View Post

If your playing healadin/dk in 2's and only 1600, or any losses with a legendary geared vial rogue, not sure how being negative or positive matters.
    Please read my post again, this is my first arena season im participating in regardless what comp, or what gear i have, i am very new to this!

To all the other positive responses, thank you! id love some constructive criticism regarding my gear and gems, as i saw a comment on them up there!

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you planning to play. I see the DK and Rogue. You do have a vial rogue with PVE weapons, if you get him enchanted and get the belt buckle, just gemming max damage, you would do very well. Though I would gem it to get the socket bonus's which you didnt do on the DK. Like you have a 20 str 20 resil on your legs in a blue socket, with a set bonus of 20 resil, you could get that 20 str 20 hit gem, etched demonseye and get that 20 resil, and gain 20 hit, then maybe not need to reforge hit on a piece.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by elyken View Post
    Please read my post again, this is my first arena season im participating in regardless what comp, or what gear i have, i am very new to this!

To all the other positive responses, thank you! id love some constructive criticism regarding my gear and gems, as i saw a comment on them up there!
    As far as your DK:

You're gems and gearing decent but not quite right. You seem to understand the whole balancing Mastery, Strength and Resilience battle as a Frost DK. You are missing some socket bonuses that don't make sense. Those 20 Res bonuses are huge and actually can allow you to use full on 40 Str red gems while keeping the same amount of Resilience *if you don't feel too squishy*.

Your specs are both incorrect.

Cookie cutter UH spec: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...adg!SbYTYSZeWQ

You can do quite a few things with that spec though. You can drop 2 in BA and get 2 in BB if you feel squishy. You can drop SD and go for RoR. You can drop pts in Blood tree and have 2/3 and 3/3 in SD and RoR.

Cookie cutter Frost spec: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...!kYehSZeTaQ!Sb

Again you can mess around here but not a lot. I personally would move a few if not all pts from BA to BB if you're having troubles surviving.

TBH though I would suggest going UH over Frost. One big reason is your weapon since it scales with UH's Mastery (even though you aim for Haste as UH you still have latent Mastery.

Your reforging says your playing Frost but honestly I don't think its the better spec for any comp if played competently. If you aren't a good UH player i.e. you aren't good at micromanaging your pets just play Frost because its the easiest somewhat viable spec in the game.

As a PvEer I would guess that you have quite a bit of time spent playing UH because of how its been the dominate spec for most of DK's lifespan. It isn't an easy change over but imo its worth it. In most 3's comps you will be the kill target vs 80% of teams as a DK and 99.9% of them if you play Frost. Having a Paladin and a Feral basically forces most Meleecleaves to make you their kill target due to Bubble and Bear Form especially at lower levels where swaps won't occur much you will be ridden to death. UH survivability is about double Frosts if you play it right.

Frost when tunneled becomes quite a bit less dangerous. They can essentially peel every bit of your damage minus HB which just isn't much pressure vs any 1500+ team. This forces you to just hit what you can reach which isn't always the best target. UH while completely peeled or CC'd still does about 70% of its damage via pets and to a lesser degree diseases. Also UH puts out outrageous pressure and during its CD's does more burst than Frost. The only advantage Frost has is more frequent kill windows via PoF where as UH HAS to use Garg right.

GL just keep plugging along. 75% of Arena is just about practice the rest is finding good teammates and GOOD communication. Do BG's when you can't do Arena and remember to have fun and don't take it too seriously or you become a useless douche no one wants to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyrtnap View Post
    I would maybe suggest checking out a few vids on kiting and controlling melee.

TBH if a Hunter knows how to kite well he shouldn't get touched much in Arena vs melee atm. If his partner (your Warrior) is actively doing his job you should never really be touched. He has Imp HS, Throwdown, Charge to name a few peels that he can use to discourage a melee off you.

Atm I play Ret/Dk/Disc and I personally think Hunters are in the top 3 scariest classes for our comp. We can't stay on Hunters due to Conc Glyphed counter Deaths Advance and their burst forces us defensive after even 2-3 seconds out on the open.

I agree that your comp isn't easy but in all reality you should be able to practically force them to turn on your Warrior which then will allow you to peel them with damage and either force them to go defensive or die.

OT: First off congrats on 1600 that is a big step for someone so new to Arena don't let anyone tell you differently.

Definitely I agree with you. I actually like to stop on any nights when someone gets angry. You can't play when upset. It makes people make mistakes and I'd rather go do 2's than sit there losing pts when it actually matters.
    Well to be fair, yes, I do have quite an easy time kiting Unholy/Blood DKs. My only problems are frost DKs (howling blast), rogues (crippling poison), frost mages who know enough to keep me frozen in melee range (otherwise I can beat them), and feral druids (lol bleeds).

Also, 1549. We then lost a few matches and back down :3. fuuuuuu. (been playing arena since about a week before last season ended so i'm also not the best, I'm with you OP heh)

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    Well to be fair, yes, I do have quite an easy time kiting Unholy/Blood DKs. My only problems are frost DKs (howling blast), rogues (crippling poison), frost mages who know enough to keep me frozen in melee range (otherwise I can beat them), and feral druids (lol bleeds).

Also, 1549. We then lost a few matches and back down :3. fuuuuuu. (been playing arena since about a week before last season ended so i'm also not the best, I'm with you OP heh)
    You're doing good wasn't trying to be hard on you just trying to give you a little advice.

On Frost DK's remember than Silencing shot stops Howling Blasts this is more of a defensive measure or should be used early to ensure you can have it back up to stop the Lichbourne heals. It actually stops everything that DK's can do defensively. If they are UH never cast anything with magic damage into AMS because you are just giving them either free damage or monstrous free heals.

With Ferals you can also silence when they have Predators Swiftness up to stop/postpone Cyclones and heals if there is nothing better to silence. Remember to fear beast on the Ferals. They are moving faster than any other melee so make sure you are using Glyphed Conc shot on them to keep them slowed when you can spare the Focus. They will probably shift out of it but thats one global they aren't using to do damage, CC or heal. I also believe they lose combo pts if they shift but I can't remember for sure.

Rogues... yeah not much advice especially with the state they are in atm.

You pretty much can shit all over a Mage with the amount of damage you can put out alone especially if they don't have a healer. Don't be afraid to send your Warrior on their other DPS since he won't have dispels past your Freedom.

Just keep practicing it takes everyone a few seasons to really get ready to be serious if that makes any sense. You're on the right track especially with how early into your arena career you are. Also pick of a non-Druid healer and do 3's its honestly so much more fun and balanced than 2's that you will probably lose your taste for 2's other than practicing and warming up.

p.s. I don't play a Hunter but I played Priest/Hunter/DK for several seasons so my strats are me trying to remember how my Hunter did it and how good Hunters do it to me but I'm fairly sure I'm not terribly far off.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    @dyrtnap

First off thank you for that awesome response, i switched around quite a few of my gems today, im not sure if you posted this before or after i did. I went for the Socket bonuses that i felt were worth getting and gemmed more pure strength.

Actually, i have never done much of any pve on my dk, was all on hunter or rogue, i have close to no exp playing uh holy but i have been pushed to re spec to it by my arena partners guildies, and friend so i do think ill give it a try. I have looked into it previously but had a very hard time getting my hands on a half decent "guide" :/ and the ones that i did find were very vague and all over the place in comparison to one another.

Seeing as you listed a spec i will read through it and try and get a feel for what it is all about, i have a basic understanding of it, just need some time with it i guess

1600 is a good start considering my gladiator buddy was stuck at 1100 the first time he came back to wow in an year lol