Deleted

Leveling Sith Assassin: Madness compared to Deception

Hi guys,

I am leveling my Sith Assassin (lvl 35) with all points in the Deception tree and so far it's working fine. But I get tired of having to be behind the target to use Maul. Especially because I am completely limited to Khem as a companion due to his tanking abilities.

So I was wondering, has anybody experience in leveling with the Madness tree?

My idea of the build: (8 / 2 / 31, I am not allowed to post the link)

I know that's it's difficult to judge a build without a damage meter, but maybe some of you can share your experience?

Cheers,
    Tri

I've heard Madness works just fine for leveling. That said, I don't see what's your problem with using Khem (unless you're bored of him/want to use other companions for RP's sake, like I do with Ashara), I found him to be a brilliant companion to level with along with a Deception build, could mow down pretty much anything.

Deleted
    The problem with any tank companion is that they take only slightly less damage than a dps companion, while doing a lot less damage themselves.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZhGMRkZf0cR.1

spec i would use at 35, at 40 i'd respec into 31 deception and go for the generic 0/33/8 chain shock build. chain shock is pretty invaluable and this build doesn't play much differently from full deception.

Deleted
    My main issue with Khem is that I am little bit bored of him and just want to try out some other companions. As a Deception Assa with Maul as my main attack, this is a tough thing to do. I know that he's brilliant in terms of effectiveness but well... I just need some change.

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 02:39 PM ----------

Hmm ok, so speccing fully into Death Field doesn't make any sense? I am not a min/maxxer, but I want to keep at least some effectiveness..

generally you don't want to use maul without duplicity up. it's not worth the force cost. especially once you get voltaic slash and your shock starts hitting a lot harder.

Deleted
    OK, then I'll wait until Level 40 for Voltaic Strike to evaluate the effectiveness. Thanks!

BTW I know that I need Duplicity to use Maul effectively, but with the standard UI it's just hard to track when it's ready. So I just Maul all the time.

I leveled in the madness tree. Once you get the talent that buffs death field, it's pretty damn good. I mostly leveled with dark charge (the tanking stance) and used either andronikos or talos as my companion, depending on the situation.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-01-25 at 04:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with Deception is that a lot of people just don't understand the playstyle. I leveled Deception with no problem. The last couple class quest were hard but even Tankassins had problems because they aren't really melee friendly. After 40 I barely used Khem only used Xalek (I used Xalek over Khem because I hadn't geared Khem for a couple of levels by now and Xalek could just get gear I didn't want for myself) for a couple of end quest that needed a tank. At 40 you get Volatic Slash, it changes everything. You really shouldn't be using Maul unless it procs but now you will never use Maul unless it procs and that clears up a lot of past frustration.

I switched back and forth between deception and madness a couple times while I was leveling and I feel like it doesn't really matter what you spec. Just play the spec that you enjoy more. Give madness a shot, see how it is, and if you don't like it just go back to deception.

Deception is lots of big numbers and you kill fast if you can get a bunch of crits, Madness is 2-3 dots so smaller numbers but better sustained dps and some abilities still can crit pretty hard.

I also use Talos all the time. With the tank pets and dps pets you have to seethe after every fight and I found that kind of annoying, so I just use Talos and he removes all the downtime. There's certain class quests I know I couldn't do without Talos, the droid everyone has problems with near the end of the quest line I killed on the 2nd try with Talos, and as deception. IMO Talos is the best companion.

Like someone else mentioned, dark charge makes a big difference in your survivability. It's so good that I base my pvp spec off it and have to ignore all the other weapon charge talents. It's like being a tank that can still do good pretty good damage. Dark charge is probably only something I'd use on the more difficult fights though, for questing.

I think the cookie cutter pve madness spec is something like 3/7/31