Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    very much untrue because if they were in fact independent entities blizzard wouldn't have to give quarterly reports to activision but to vivendi directly

there is a hierarchy here with blizzard below acitivions...

the biggest gripe i have with SOPA is that the ESA is actually supporting this and those are the ppl you guys as gamer need to let know to wake up
    Giving out reports to your parent company, or even a peer company does not even come close to being managed by them.

On July 9, 2008, Activision officially merged with Vivendi Games, culminating in the inclusion of the Blizzard brand name in the title of the resulting holding company, though Blizzard Entertainment remains a separate entity with independent management
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

Board & Management
    The Board of Directors of Activision Blizzard consists of eleven members: six directors
    designated by Vivendi, two Activision management directors and three independent
    directors from Activision’s board of directors. René Pénisson, a member of the
    Management Board of Vivendi and Chairman of Vivendi Games, will serve as
    Chairman of Activision Blizzard. Brian Kelly, Co-Chairman of Activision, will serve as
    Co-Chairman of Activision Blizzard. The three independent directors are Richard
    Sarnoff, Robert J. Corti and Robert Morgado. Other Activision Blizzard directors will be
    Robert Kotick (President and Chief Executive Officer of Activision Blizzard), Bruce
    Hack (Vice-Chairman and Chief Corporate Officer of Activision Blizzard), Jean-Bernard
    Lévy (Chairman of the Management Board and Chief Executive Officer of Vivendi),
    Doug Morris (Member of the Management Board of Vivendi and Chairman and Chief
    Executive Officer of the Universal Music Group), Philippe Capron (Member of the
    Management Board and Chief Financial Officer of Vivendi), and Frédéric Crépin (Senior
    Vice President, Head of Legal Department of Vivendi).
    Last edited by mmocb9db9223dd; 2012-01-25 at 06:36 PM.

Law is the victory of civilizitation above its instincts. Laws can forbid, and if broken, react through an executive. But consequences by laws which are merely executed through conjecture and suspicion, that is not law, that is repression and censorship. And that is SOPA. A bill, enabling the US, from whom most Western countries get at least 80% of their traffic according to the German weekly newspaper Spiegel, to remove any website from the DNS-Service, if there is the mere possibility to commit a copyright infringement.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycki View Post
    Giving out reports to your parent company, or even a peer company does not even come close to being managed by them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment

who said anything about being managed by them you said they are independent entities which they are not since there is a clear hierarchy there is a pecking order and blizzard is at the bottom. if there wasn't the quarterly calls would be made to videndi directly not activision
    Last edited by Bigitybones; 2012-01-25 at 06:43 PM.

Apple did support SOPA but pulled away fearing public backlash; they however did not come out against it tho. I wonder what Steve jobs would say about sopa...

ACTA is the shit now... FUCK SOPA were facing an even bigger threat! Can you ppl PLEASE understand THAT!

who said anything about being managed by them you said they are independent entities which they are not since there is a clear hierarchy there is a pecking order and blizzard is at the bottom
    People at the top control everything and yes blizzard is at the very bottom; even if they don't support sopa, they can't say shit because vivendi owns them.

Deleted
    who said anything about being managed by them you said they are independent entities which they are not since there is a clear hierarchy there is a pecking order and blizzard is at the bottom
    Of course there is a hierarchy, nobody denied that.

Vivendi Universal --> Vivendi Games (Activision Blizzard) --> Blizzard & Activision (both separate entities)

Activision does not tell Blizzard what to do. Thats what I mean with a separate entity with independent management.

Of course they still answer to their mother company, which Videndi is the majority stockholder of and thus has the final word.

Just as Vivendi always had.

But hey, if you want to believe Blizzard became some kind of underdog in movie like scenarios (mostly people shouting bullshit on the internet) then be my guest.

[...] blizzard wouldn't have to give quarterly reports to activision [...]
    Where does it say that?

SOPA is kind of beaten, it will properly not be passed. PIPA and ACTA is still threats though.

Quote Originally Posted by Judic View Post
    SOPA was postponed indefinitely. Just an FYI.
    In other words, It has been return to it's rightfull place. It's shelf.

It is postponed by just a year, it will be mentioned again.

Activision (and blizzard) can support SOPA all they want, but it wont get passed, it will be postponed again.

Majority of this planet votes AGAINST it.

I'd want no piracy, but I dont want to lose the freedom in internet. Internet is not owned by anyone, it is a freelance country now.
    You cannot censor it, you cannot shut it down. If you want to shut it down, you might as well remove U.S.A from the history of ever being existed.

I hope SOPA will be gone forever, it has no place for this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycki View Post
    Of course there is a hierarchy, nobody denied that.

Vivendi Universal --> Vivendi Games (Activision Blizzard) --> Blizzard & Activision (both separate entities)

Activision does not tell Blizzard what to do. Thats what I mean with a separate entity with independent management.

Of course they still answer to their mother company, which Videndi is the majority stockholder of and thus has the final word.

Just as Vivendi always had.

But hey, if you want to believe Blizzard became some kind of underdog in movie like scenarios (mostly people shouting bullshit on the internet) then be my guest.
    actually you worded your statement inaccuratley there and yes activision could tell blizzard what to do thats why there is a pecking order... lol dont assume you know anything about my opinion of blizzard either.

---------- Post added 2012-01-25 at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Where does it say that?

do some research and youll find out i mean blizzard calls bobby kottick for a quarterly report just cause they feel like it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shidare View Post
    ACTA is the shit now... FUCK SOPA were facing an even bigger threat! Can you ppl PLEASE understand THAT!
    What the hell is ACTA, just heard of it now.

do some research and youll find out i mean blizzard calls bobby kottick for a quarterly report just cause they feel like it right?
    I did and I haven't found anything supporting that claim. Kotick is part of Activision Blizzard.

As quoted by someone a few posts above me:
    Board & Management
    The Board of Directors of Activision Blizzard consists of eleven members: six directors
    designated by Vivendi, two Activision management directors and three independent
    directors from Activision’s board of directors. René Pénisson, a member of the
    Management Board of Vivendi and Chairman of Vivendi Games, will serve as
    Chairman of Activision Blizzard. Brian Kelly, Co-Chairman of Activision, will serve as
    Co-Chairman of Activision Blizzard. The three independent directors are Richard
    Sarnoff, Robert J. Corti and Robert Morgado. Other Activision Blizzard directors will be
    Robert Kotick (President and Chief Executive Officer of Activision Blizzard), Bruce
    Hack (Vice-Chairman and Chief Corporate Officer of Activision Blizzard), Jean-Bernard
    Lévy (Chairman of the Management Board and Chief Executive Officer of Vivendi),
    Doug Morris (Member of the Management Board of Vivendi and Chairman and Chief
    Executive Officer of the Universal Music Group), Philippe Capron (Member of the
    Management Board and Chief Financial Officer of Vivendi), and Frédéric Crépin (Senior
    Vice President, Head of Legal Department of Vivendi).
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2012-01-25 at 07:04 PM.

Deleted
    Maybe because hes the President and CEO of Activision Blizzard ?
    Is it really that hard to understand.

15+ Year Old Account
    actually you worded your statement inaccuratley there and yes activision could tell blizzard what to do thats why there is a pecking order... lol dont assume you know anything about my opinion of blizzard either.

Maybe they call Kottick because Mr. Kottick was promoted to CEO of Activison Blizzard when Vivendi bought Activision?

Here is what you have

.......................Vivendi..............................
    ..........................l....................................
    ..................Activision-Blizzard....................
    ........................./\..................................
    ......................../..\..............................
    Activison_______/....\________Blizzard

Activison does not tell Blizzard what to do. Hell, Activison Blizzard is a holding company, which means it really does very little other than organize Vivendi's games division (Vivendi has a Blizzard and an Activision, that takes many hands to carry. But now they put both of those in a box called Activision-Blizzard, and it is now much easier to keep track of
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission View Post
    I support SOPA fully.

censorship is needed, definitely.
    soh go live in china..
    Couldn't even go 20 posts without feeding the troll...

10+ Year Old Account
    What I want to see, are blue posts on the offical forums from Greg street, Metzen and the rest saying if THEY do or do not support SOPA.

As people say, Activision is a company of its own that latched onto Blizzard and its heads and tied themselves into it, which is one now funds blizzards projects.

If the heads at blizzard do not support Sopa, the fact that they are now tied to a company like activision that does would have me question them, do they feel right being tied to an organisation like Activison given they are against there beliefs.

If blizzard heads however are going along with whatever activision tells them to believe in, then that would have me fuming.

I suggest instead of random childish speculations as these kind of threads create, why don't when you mobs have a chance ask one of the blues about this problem, ask them if they are for or against Sopa, and if they are why.

Edit: What I hope it is, is well blizzard may be tied to activision, they think on there own terms, kind of like how is a bigoted father finds out his son is gay and wants nothing to do with him, but the son stands for his right to be gay and open, they are still father and son.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2012-01-25 at 09:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Maybe they call Kottick because Mr. Kottick was promoted to CEO of Activison Blizzard when Vivendi bought Activision?

Here is what you have

.......................Vivendi..............................
    ..................Activision-Blizzard....................
    ........................./\..................................
    ......................../..\..............................
    Activison_______/....\________Blizzard

Activison does not tell Blizzard what to do. Hell, Activison Blizzard is a holding company, which means it really does very little other than organize Vivendi's games division (Vivendi has a Blizzard and an Activision, that takes many hands to carry. But now they put both of those in a box called Activision-Blizzard, and it is now much easier to keep track of
    Thanks for that further clarification. I doubt it will help though. People just want to believe what suits their hatred towards something best.

So I wont be wasting my time on this subject anymore.

ITT: People who can't tell apart Activision and Activision-Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    SOPA might be a piece of shitty legislation but it was created for legitimate purposes. Businesses have a right to protect their copyrights and if Activision wants to support it, that's fine. This does not mean, however, that Blizzard supports it.

The next time SOPA comes around (assuming it hasn't significantly changed) then, by all means, fight it. Remember, however, that the enemy is the legislation and the government, not the businesses that have legitimate reasons to support it.
    No, sorry, but in this case the enemy is most definitely the business end. First off, these are the same people that screw over the talent that they are supposedly defending with, let's say, "creative" accounting. Some of the most profitable movies ever technically lost money because of the way that the industry balances its books. Why does this matter? Because the actors often get paid in large part by how much their movie or TV show grosses.

Second, this is another case of an industry refusing to get with the times. Instead of changing their business model and competing with piracy they attack their customers. It has been shown time and time again that the majority of people (me among them) will pay a reasonable price for these services as it is far more convenient for them. However, when you take away the ability for a paying customer to watch what they have often already paid for (TV shows mostly in this case, but movies and music as well) they will steal it.

Perhaps you are not old enough, but the piracy argument has been played by these guys before. When video cassette recorders came out the movie and TV industries sued and whined ad nauseum about how it was going to ruin their business. Well, it didn't, and for the last thiry years they have made billions off of rentals and people still watch television.

I feel no empathy for this industry. Yes, it is their right to protect their IP. However, they are fighting this battle the wrong way, they are openly hostile to their consumers, they rip off their talent whenever they can, and they will most certainly lose. Good riddance.