Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A foreign guy's (funny) thoughts on 2012 Presidentials

Hello boys.

I don't know shit about USA politics. I barely know the names of the guys. I know that there's two sides: a Donkey, and an Elephant. The 19th, there was a debate in Florida, and I watched it between two periods of my Ottawa Senators hockey.

At this point, I'm wondering - is the guy you elect really important? I don't know much, but it doesn't seem like the president takes a lot of decisions. He just messages the people about what his party's doing. Now take the next part with a grain of salt; they're MY random thoughts. Enjoy!

Newt Gingrich; seems popular in the southern states. He seemed to just agree with Ron Paul the whole freakin debate. Likes pewpew.
    Mitt Romney; he's the Stephen Harper of USA. He's straight forward, has straight thoughts and just spoke em out outloud. He's for war, it seems.
    Ron Paul; He's old. First thing that struck me. He can't even stand straight. Imo he does it because he wants to, not because he wants glory anymore. He's funny, also. Lastly, he looks human. Doesn't feel like a robot when he talks.
    Rick Santorum; The robot. Idk hes got good points (excellent ones, like the rest), ofc, but he looks so straight forward, makes bunnies cry.

Here you go guys, thats how I see it! I'm the kind of guy that draws mustaches on the newspaper, take this with a grain of salt, and they're my thoughts. Have fun!

NO FLAMIN, I DON'T WANT TO SEE ARGUMENTS OVER WHICH IS BEST. This thread is made for fun! Mods, if you feel this is innapropriate, delete it. Was just sharing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what? I'm proud of you for just knowing their names. You know a thousand times more about American politics than I know about Canadian politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    You know what? I'm proud of you for just knowing their names. You know a thousand times more about American politics than I know about Canadian politics.
    The Daily Show is very popular...

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Newt Gingrich; seems popular in the southern states. He seemed to just agree with Ron Paul the whole freakin debate. Likes pewpew.
    Mitt Romney; he's the Stephen Harper of USA. He's straight forward, has straight thoughts and just spoke em out outloud. He's for war, it seems.
    Ron Paul; He's old. First thing that struck me. He can't even stand straight. Imo he does it because he wants to, not because he wants glory anymore. He's funny, also. Lastly, he looks human. Doesn't feel like a robot when he talks.
    Rick Santorum; The robot. Idk hes got good points (excellent ones, like the rest), ofc, but he looks so straight forward, makes bunnies cry.
    You know, I actually kinda like Harper. He's definitely not the best PM we ever had, but he can get his shit together and actually get the government to work, which seems to be a big problem south of the border now. And he doesn't really have any decent opposition, considering that ALL opposition parties are leaderless at the moment.

P.S. RIP Jack Layton
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Part of that is that other countries have to watch us. If someone looks at us funny we invade, so many other countries like to keep an eye on us. On the other hand Canada is content being "America's hat" and goes about their own business without hurting anyone...until their massive army of armored battle moose is ready at least...

15+ Year Old Account
    Rick Santorum actually claimed that a pregnancy due to a rape is still a blessing from god.
    Says alot of how messed up the christian right are if this person become their fave.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I have just read the wikipedia pages on all of them.

I am about 98% sure the world is fucked. They all seem so ridiculously right wing.

Newt Gingrich: due to Gingrich having, "dedicated much of his time to calling America back to our Christian heritage. From the wikipedia page. Yaaay! Wants to defund planned parenthood and is generally pro-life. Wants public school prayer (lol). Opposes same sex marriage. Opposes stem cell research.

Mitt Romney: During his 2007–2008 run for president, Romney declared that he thinks abortion should be illegal except in cases of rape, incest, and when the life of the mother is threatened. Supports the death penalty (most of them do), he supports abstinence education in school (1 word for that, retarded, since every single study in the history of the world disagrees with you). Opposes gay marriage. Doesn't believe in climate change.

Ron Paul: He seems the most sane of all of them. However, still opposes same sex marriage. Actually supports the Don't Ask, Don't tell policy (which is one of the most awful things ever created), called himself an 'Unshakable foe of abortion'. Supports the death penalty. Doesn't care for climate change. Has some decent points, but still seems to be a bit too much far right for my tastes.

And last of all, Rick Santorum: Very, very homophobic. Most of these guys are and it's really something that pisses me off, as a straight male. I honestly don't understand why people have so much opposition over two consenting adults doing something which makes them both happy. Anti gay adoption too. Also pro life. But its the anti gay comments that really get to me, putting it next to paedophilia and beastiality.

'Santorum has stated that he does not believe a "right to privacy" is part of the Constitution; he has been critical of the Supreme Court decision in Griswold v. Connecticut (1965), which held that the Constitution guaranteed that right, and overturned a law prohibiting the sale and use of contraceptives to married couples.[137] He has described contraception as "a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be,"[138] and stated in 2003 that laws should exist against polygamy, adultery, sodomy, and other actions "antithetical to a healthy, stable, traditional family" since they were harmful to society.[131]' (from wikipedia).

I honestly fear that any of these people could get into power. But particularly the last one.

Scares me to think these people could be world leaders...
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Rick Santorum actually claimed that a pregnancy due to a rape is still a blessing from god.
    Says alot of how messed up the christian right are if this person become their fave.
    Working as intended, he's talking about the child, not the rape itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Still one hell of an insensitive thing to say, especially given that he can never understand what it feels like to be the mother of a child from rape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    While I may not agree with your views (assuming they are in fact your views), I absolutely love the way you phrased that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    I have just read the wikipedia pages on all of them.

I am about 98% sure the world is fucked. They all seem so ridiculously right wing.

Newt Gingrich: due to Gingrich having, "dedicated much of his time to calling America back to our Christian heritage. From the wikipedia page. Yaaay! Wants to defund planned parenthood and is generally pro-life. Wants public school prayer (lol). Opposes same sex marriage. Opposes stem cell research.

Mitt Romney: During his 2007–2008 run for president, Romney declared that he thinks abortion should be illegal except in cases of rape, incest, and when the life of the mother is threatened. Supports the death penalty (most of them do), he supports abstinence education in school (1 word for that, retarded, since every single study in the history of the world disagrees with you). Opposes gay marriage. Doesn't believe in climate change.

Ron Paul: He seems the most sane of all of them. However, still opposes same sex marriage. Actually supports the Don't Ask, Don't tell policy (which is one of the most awful things ever created), called himself an 'Unshakable foe of abortion'. Supports the death penalty. Doesn't care for climate change. Has some decent points, but still seems to be a bit too much far right for my tastes.

And last of all, Rick Santorum: Very, very homophobic. Most of these guys are and it's really something that pisses me off, as a straight male. I honestly don't understand why people have so much opposition over two consenting adults doing something which makes them both happy. Anti gay adoption too. Also pro life. But its the anti gay comments that really get to me, putting it next to paedophilia and beastiality.

'Santorum has stated that he does not believe a "right to privacy" is part of the Constitution; he has been critical of the Supreme Court decision in Griswold v. Connecticut (1965), which held that the Constitution guaranteed that right, and overturned a law prohibiting the sale and use of contraceptives to married couples.[137] He has described contraception as "a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be,"[138] and stated in 2003 that laws should exist against polygamy, adultery, sodomy, and other actions "antithetical to a healthy, stable, traditional family" since they were harmful to society.[131]' (from wikipedia).

I honestly fear that any of these people could get into power. But particularly the last one.

Scares me to think these people could be world leaders...
    I think you don't like them because they don't support their views because they are from a right wing party. What do you expect, and still all of them are better than Obama.

I think Ron Paul would do fine as a world leader, and the others would be better than obama

10+ Year Old Account
    While I may not agree with your views (assuming they are in fact your views), I absolutely love the way you phrased that.
    Lulz, well like I'm sure Huntsman would argue, it isn't the kid's fault his father is an asshole rapist.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

We don't allow people to talk about their religions on these forums, and we also don't allow people to bash on those religions. Please keep both these things in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I think you don't like them because they don't support their views because they are from a right wing party. What do you expect, and still all of them are better than Obama.

I think Ron Paul would do fine as a world leader, and the others would be better than obama
    A super right wing party. Compared to most of the rest of the world, your left wing is our right wing.

Gaybashing should not be acceptable from a politician. (Santorum). Supporting the Don't ask, Don't tell policy is also stupid. Abstinence is one of the most retarded things ever created, since it very rarely works and statistics show that it is hugely better to just teach kids to use condoms and that sex is not evil, wrong and vile, as most of these people would spew.

They all just want the world to take a step back from the direction it's been going in - the correct direction. They want to cling to traditionalism, without realising that things have already changed.

And why does everyone bash Obama? Seems like the cool thing to do atm...

But yes, I would agree with you, out of that lot, Ron Paul is the lesser of the evils. The 'unshakable foe of abortion' still terrifies me though, along with the climate change denial (but I'm not derailing with that debate right now).
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

All I have to say is Obama 2012!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    We don't allow people to talk about their religions on these forums, and we also don't allow people to bash on those religions. Please keep both these things in mind.
    No talking about religion or Dacien will get you with his red-text firing crossbow!

please don't ban me...

10+ Year Old Account
    No talking about religion or Dacien will get you with his red-text firing crossbow!

please don't ban me...
    I for one welcome our new zombie-slaying overlord

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very annoyed with the republican nominees, we're not in a position to discuss abstract social issues, we have to fix the economy first.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Ron Paul. Though I don't really care that much for politics in foreign countries, I do think the US would benefit the most from him. He may be a conservatist, atleast he's not a religious one. He is a constitutional conservatist. I've watched some interviews with him on Youtube. He's not against gay marriage, but says the word marriage implies a man and a woman. Gay people have right to the same kind of commitment and relationship with eachother. He's also not against the Don't Ask Don't Tell crap in the US military because he feels that isn't the problem. The problem is the military believing gay people have sex all the time and cannot restrain themselves so it's bad. But hetero's are just as guilty. Ron Paul is a more 'down to Earth' kinda guy and actually appears to be the most sane candidate ever. In all those debates he strikes the right nerves and has a clear(er) view than all those other 'I-say-what-ever-the-masses-want-to-hear-so-they-vote-for-me' kinda candidates.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-01-26 at 01:17 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    At this point, I'm wondering - is the guy you elect really important? I don't know much, but it doesn't seem like the president takes a lot of decisions. He just messages the people about what his party's doing.
    From how I see a president, he is suppose to take care of the military and foreign affairs and to pick the supreme judges. He is supposed to lead our country, make aware of our country's health and gives advice on how to fix it, to be the mediator when everyone else is just trying to get their own way, to be the person who does what needs to be done and make tough choices, to be a symbol of out country and set an example. The presidents may try to promise something, but more then half of what they say can not be done by them being a president, it takes the senate to help them achieve it. They could issue issue a Executive order, but these can be very controversial and some people might see them as an abuse of power. One example is Franklin D. Roosevelt with removing all Japanese Americans and German Americans from a military zone.

Our president should be a leader, a person to lead us to the tight path, not a person who makes all of our choices for us.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose