Thread: PVP tips

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

PVP tips

I'm getting a bit more into PVP on my sentinel and really enjoying it so far. Nothing quite like Force Leaping into after a ball carrier and smacking him around for a bit. I'm only lvl 14 atm but any tips or advice you guys could give would be awesome.

Pick up Biochem if you havent yet.
    Yub Yub

10+ Year Old Account
    out of curiosity do i get a knock back as a sentinel at some point? everybody else does damnit...

if Sentinel is not the tank tree, then no, you don't. You're stuck in the boat with the operatives/scoundrels and powertechs/vanguards wearing the "no knockback" tee. That's ok though, when 1.1.1 hits, you won't be at the back of the bus anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Low level PvP is painful simply because you don't have all your abilities, don't have all your talents, don't have many or any knockback, stun or root, don't have much or any expertise, etc.

Stats wise, you'll almost equal to the level 40-49, but he'll kill you 5 times before you can do anything.

Deleted
    Sentinel at 14 is horrible for PvP. As with Marauder, you lack a bunch of good abilities and talents such as force choke, obfuscate and Predation.

It gets better later though.

When you get it, use Cleave to aoe at Turrets and Doors. If you talent for the cost reduction for Sweep and Cleave it's only 1, and it's more useful than using Slash that only interrupts one person.

Awe is immensely useful. Especially if you catch all the defenders at a door with no CC break. When you get it, make sure it's an available bind.

Your defensive CD's as a Sentinel are key. Don't blow them all at once because you're likely to just get chain CC'ed until they wear off. Guarded by the Force is an incredibly powerful CD, but do not use it at High health, unless you know you would otherwise die.

I prefer Focus because it has better control, and when fully talented, you have like a 7 or 8% damage reduction compared to Watchman or Combat taking full damage. You also get an incredibly powerful AoE bomb to use (Force/Zealous Leap -> Force Stasis/Exhaustion -> Force Sweep) on upto 5 targets, doing more damage than a Merciless Strike does, just about. Watchman has self-heals, and I guess that would mean you can get the medals for healing? I'm not sure, I've never tried it.

You will get slapped around like a little girl, you don't have a reliable stun (Stasis/Choke are channeled) to pin healers or ranged down to stop them from being able to instantly knockback, or stun and run, or just kite in general. You have 1-2 slows, depending on your spec, but they'll only go so far. A Stun is another Interrupt, and it's better to save Awe for more than 1 person.

You can use Transcendence at the start of Alderaan and Huttball to great effect, especially if you have two Sentinels chaining it with the instant 30 centering CD. This gives the majority of your team a territory advantage, particularly in Alderaan. If you can get there just quicker than them and successfully take the turret, you not only make it easier to defend, as tou get a speeder to that location, but you also start damaging quicker.

Do not try taking 3-4 at a time, unless you're comfortable with knowing that as soon as your CD's are down, you're likely to die. Leap -> Awe is useful, as is Leap -> Sweep ti interrupt at Turrets/Doors. You're also expendable. If you can slow 5 people to that it's 7v3, it's worth it. It's a team game, not Smash Heroes.

You're a support. You provide group buffs so remember, you're worth more to your team if you're within range. Trans is amazing in Huttball, and Inspiration can, potentially, turn an engagement, such as bursting down door defences and planting a bomb or taking the turret before they land.

If you can CC to stop them interrupting someone take an objective, do so. CC > Damage.

Just a few things I've noticed and learned as I've PvP'ed over the last few weeks.
    Last edited by Matt0193; 2012-01-26 at 04:29 AM.

How to get MVP votes:

http://i.imgur.com/56FWY.jpg

(Look at chat, and don't get mad, this was meant as a joke and I only did it once, was surprised that it worked )

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how much you've PvPed before so this may be a "no duh" list.

1) Always remember the objectives.

2) Always run with a group, even if its two random pugs who happen to be in the same area.

3) Never start a fight if you're outgunned, and never stay in a battle you can't win.

4) Always remember the objectives.

5) When in doubt, C4.

I've never played a sentinel, so I'm not sure what kind of tools you have. But remember all of them and learn how to use them to make someone's life miserable. Even a crappy ability have some ingenious use in PvP. For example I almost never use Telekinetic Throw as a dps shadow, but if someone's running away from a group I can hit it for a 4 second channeled snare and let someone else get a kill shot. DoTs can prevent people from stealthing, and AoEs can sometimes knock them out of it. And there are plenty of nice combos that will take people out long enough to turn the battle to you.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Wait till you're 30-40 with PvP as a Sentinel.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Seriously all the no sayers saying he should wait is so untrue, yes you´ll be at an disadvantage, but you get to see so much more of your class if your introduced to 1 abilility at a time, than 112012021 abilities at lvl 50 ( theres not that many, But ive run out of keybinds by now, and i have 21 keybindings , Ive learned how to deal with certan siturations when all i got is knockback and stun, ive successfully guarded a door single handed agiasnt 3 people by the time i was lvl 20, for just enoght time to backup to arrive, Yes i died, Did they get the door? Nope! Mission Accomplished. One of the hints i can tell for senti´s is that force charge is incridbly godlike in Huttball, even as lowlvl, get the ball, drop down into the pit, Charge an player who stands on the jedge, (IF YOU CANT DONT RUN UNDER THE BRIGDES, That makes sorcs at a higher lvl unable to safe your but and draw you to them.), Pop your anti stun, Score, die and Cheer.

Actually, Low lvl pvp is SO MUCH more about skill than about gear, Atleast in huttball, i havent done much Ald, or voidstar as low lvl, But Huttball is just wonderful, Nothing more enjoyable than pwning people 30 levels above your level..

I dinged lvl 50 before the 50 que was only for 50´s, So this could only have gone better, as fighting lvl 50 pvp geared people really was laughable, But doable.

There's some great tips in this thread for you. Don't listen to the "reroll/wait till" posts.

As has been said, you play best as team support. That's our niche. Make no mistake though, we deal a TON of damage and we do it very fast.

Sents really can't be beaten 1v1. Even at 50 the only classes that I've had to bust ass on are good sorcs and snipers. We simply have too much defense on had and (when taltented) the shortest interupt cd in the game (two interrupts if you spec for 0 meter leap).

You will be a tad weaker at low level, but that's mostely due to lack of powerful support/defensive cds. At low level I just went to town on healers and such.

Trust me, well played Sents are borderline op. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of nerf threads pop up after the ability delay fix (our biggest problem and it hurts us more than most).

15+ Year Old Account
    finally switched my Jugg to rage from immortal and omg i love pvp get a group of 5 around me pop my relic have 4 stacks of shockwave and 6-7k crits on all of them

I'm a 50 marauder

If you want to see a lot of big numbers play as Focus in pvp. You can leap > force stasis > sweep at full stacks for 6k+ at 50 with good gear

If you want more survivability, play watchman and all your bleeds will heal you. also, merciless slash will hit pretty hard with good gear.

make sure you use your defense cooldowns as much as you can. you will get focused. you will get bounced around by everyone using knock backs. you will get incredibly frustrated.

watch out for hazards in huttball. even if you are no where near them.. some how people will manage to knock you into one and you will die.

also, if you try to pvp as a fresh 50... just stick it out. at first it will make you want to quit the game or reroll (seriously). after time you will geat gear and it will be less painful.
    Last edited by Skuz; 2012-01-26 at 04:41 PM.

knockbacks really should be on DR

so annoying being punted off, run around, get punted, run around, get punted

make friends with a healer or tank and pvp with them. guarding/taunting is sooooo strong in pvp

Deleted
    Knockbacks are on resolve, meaning that when you get knocked back, it increases your resolve bar.

Problem is the resolve bar fills nowhere near fast enough.

I'd like to see the first stun fill the resolve bar by half, the second another quarter, and the stun last half the duration, and the last stun/knockback last 1/4 of the duration or throw you 1/2 the distance away, and max your resolve bar.

As it stands the amount of lockdown is far too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Wait till you're 30-40 with PvP as a Sentinel.
    I top DPS on my lvl 14 Marauder. The trick is to choose your targets. I go after squishies and stick with my group.

Objectives > all. Do not use your force leap if you are able to get in close without it.

Most times, when it's 2v2, I can get in melee and keep force leap for when I am knocked back.

It's a very big pain not to have a heal interrupt, so I tend to do poorly against healers, at least I keep him healing himself instead of others but I really like my sentinel/marauder. (Too bad I already have a melee with my assassin and in PvE melee = Liability.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    guarding/taunting is sooooo strong in pvp
    As he's a sentinel, that's not applicable. If he'd have rolled Guardian instead, he'd have 3 more medals a fight, and a stun, and a knockback ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoth View Post
    Too bad I already have a melee with my assassin and in PvE melee = Liability.
    What? I'm seen as one of the better DPS in my guild, and I'm a melee? Guardians/Juggers can soak with Guard, and OT if needed and Sent/Mara offensively and defensively support better than anyone else. I really don't see how you can be a liability unless you're actually terrible.

I need tips vs Operatives.
    I'm level 27 Smuggler Gunslinger Saboteur, i can fight well vs others classes level 40 in warzones, i lose but at least they reach 20% hp or something like that, vs operatives i cant do shit.
    He start, then i use my "Escape" and my Knockback to gain some distance and... im dead. Sometimes i try to use Dodge and attack him, but i still get killed and he is still 80% hp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdecker View Post
    I need tips vs Operatives.
    I'm level 27 Smuggler Gunslinger Saboteur, i can fight well vs others classes level 40 in warzones, i lose but at least they reach 20% hp or something like that, vs operatives i cant do shit.
    He start, then i use my "Escape" and my Knockback to gain some distance and... im dead. Sometimes i try to use Dodge and attack him, but i still get killed and he is still 80% hp.
    Scoundrels/Operatives can do that right now. Don't expect to beat one 1v1 unless you catch him out of stealth.