Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    You are fully aware of the technical issues with supporting several different graphic cards, right?
    OS X already supports Nvidia chips, if you're talking about software issues.
    AMD and Nvidia use the same type of physical interface, if you're talking about hardware issues.
    You're clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Why don't Heinz allow you to choose ketchup with bacon and apple juice flavor? Atm they're using AMD. For 3 years ago it was nvidia. I'm sure it'll change again in a few years.
    As I'm sure you noticed, my post was a reply to the infamous "the customer has the right to choose" quote coming from an apple fanboy.

If the customer has the right to choose, then apple is shit, because they won't let you choose. End of discussion (from that point of view).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    It's not just for a fashion statement. No one sees me using my Mac Book Pro. It's about user experience. It's about using a product that looks good and feels good to use. It's about the design. It's about the experience of using it. Little things like that make a difference.

It's called choice.

Why do people buy a $40 t-shirt when they could get one for $5? Why do people buy coffee at starbucks when they could make their own? Why do people pay to play WoW every month when there are plenty of free games. It's choice.
    I would say Mac i's kinda like the raidfinder.
    Made for idiots and easy to use. But you don't really get much out of it.

However, Thanks to Adobe mac is supperior in alot of media related development.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    I frankly believe PCs are better.
    They're not. Technically they're exactly the same, except for the packaging and choice of features.

You can install Windows on a Mac, and it becomes a Windows-pc.

Speaking as an IT manager who looks after 500+ very mobile staff across Europe with a mix of Apple and dell hardware, I find Apple's support to be atrocious.
    With Dell, I can phone them up and arrange an engineer to get to our staff wherever they are in the world the next day with all the necessary parts. With Apple I have to take it back to the Apple store and if I'm lucky I might get it back a week later, with a pressure sales pitch that I shouldn't get it repaired at all but I should by this shiny new model instead.

Also I am sick to the back teeth of people within the company wanting Apple laptops, not because of the functionality, but purely for the looks and the perceived status symbol they have become. 90% of the apple users we have spend all their time working inside a Windows VM because the Apple OS doesn't do what they want to so or support any of the applications we need to, yet they insist on having one because of the looks.
    Gorbag - Elemental Shaman since Nov 2004
    Raider of Logic Tarren Mill EU

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Please, if you think slapping a 3rd party window manager and a theme on Windows suddenly makes it behave just like OS X then you should probably not speak on this matter until you've educated yourself a bit further...
    When did I say it would operate exactly like OSX? I said it would emulate the look and basic feel. I think you're just looking for things to argue about now.

You should probably step away from the mac, and take a breather. This thread is obviously upsetting you to the point of you becoming irrational.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forumpost View Post
    OS X already supports Nvidia chips, if you're talking about software issues.
    AMD and Nvidia use the same type of physical interface, if you're talking about hardware issues.
    You're clueless.
    The problem is in keeping drivers up to date and when it comes to custom form factors (such as Apple's desktop and laptop cases) you also need to fit the hardware in there, more choices mean lower volumes per option and higher costs which results in higher prices or lower profit margin.

As I'm sure you noticed, my post was a reply to the infamous "the customer has the right to choose" quote coming from an apple fanboy.

If the customer has the right to choose, then apple is shit, because they won't let you choose. End of discussion (from that point of view).
    The customer has a right to choose. But just like you can't buy yourself a Ford XC90 you can't buy an Apple M14x. You have the choice of not buying from the manufacturer if you don't like the product offered.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementalThreat View Post
    This is why more game companies need to support Macs.
    Except Macs are terrible for gaming and ridiculously overpriced. My $1500 i5-2500K OCed at 4.7 GHz will smoke any of those $3000-$4000 apple desktops. Apple will only hold the niche for little hand held gadgets they will never compete in the desktop market nor should they. Stick to what you are best at. They are best at hand held portable media devices dont try and do something you arent good at cause you will lose your ass.

Just for lolz look at http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/mac_pro

Their $5000 desktop only has 6 gigs of RAM and only a 5770 which is 68% worse than my GTX 570. Not to mention WTF would you do with 12 cores?
    Last edited by Lythria; 2012-01-26 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterus View Post
    When did I say it would operate exactly like OSX? I said it would emulate the look and basic feel. I think you're just looking for things to argue about now.

You should probably step away from the mac, and take a breather. This thread is obviously upsetting you to the point of you becoming irrational.
    Your words:
    "If you really wanted the look and feel of OSX I'm sure you could do some research and find something similar for windows."

You later altered this to "basic feel" but even so, just adding a new window manager and a theme to Windows does not in any way make it "feel" like Mac OS X. The main reason for this being that Windows isn't Mac OS X, the underlying systems are completely different, you'd need an abstraction layer between the two that handles everything from basic things like file system structure to default operating system dialog windows (not to mention that the two operating systems and applications for them have slightly different UI elements that are used in different ways and since this is repeated over and over again in each OS it is extremely hard to make Windows feel like OS X, just like fvwm95 doesn't feel like Windows 95 no matter how hard it tries).

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lythria View Post
    Except Macs are terrible for gaming and ridiculously overpriced. My $1500 i5-2500K OCed at 4.7 GHz will smoke any of those $3000-$4000 apple desktops. Apple will only hold the niche for little hand held gadgets they will never compete in the desktop market nor should they. Stick to what you are best at. They are best at hand held portable media devices dont try and do something you arent good at cause you will lose your ass.

Just for lolz look at http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...family/mac_pro
    1. Current Mac Pro lineup hasn't been refreshed in a long time.
    2. The target market for the Mac Pro isn't gamers, it's the kind of user who needs a workstation in the old-school meaning of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    It's not just for a fashion statement. No one sees me using my Mac Book Pro. It's about user experience. It's about using a product that looks good and feels good to use. It's about the design. It's about the experience of using it. Little things like that make a difference.

It's called choice.

Why do people buy a $40 t-shirt when they could get one for $5? Why do people buy coffee at starbucks when they could make their own? Why do people pay to play WoW every month when there are plenty of free games. It's choice.
    Then notice how I stated that the whole looks>functionality thing is just an awful thing for humanity in general.

You even said it yourself, you like the design and how it looks, so you are willing to pay 3 times what it's actually worth.

Thought we were in some sort of economic hardship?
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGhostlands View Post
    Apple fanboy and proud to admit it, most people in here say they hate macs ect, but none of them have actually tryed one out over a period of time, my 27inch iMac with 8GB of ram, will perform anything that a game throws at it, i can play WoW on Ultra with about 80 FPS, so yes, stop hating until youve tryed it out.
    Of course it can play any game you throw at it.

Your iMac is a fairly high-end pc! It is a pc!

Even if OSX doesn't support a game, you can install a dual boot Windows 7 and still play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    They're not. Technically they're exactly the same, except for the packaging and choice of features.

You can install Windows on a Mac, and it becomes a Windows-pc.
    Jup, but you will have spent an extra 500-1000 pounds on the pwetty looks.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    The problem is in keeping drivers up to date and when it comes to custom form factors (such as Apple's desktop and laptop cases) you also need to fit the hardware in there, more choices mean lower volumes per option and higher costs which results in higher prices or lower profit margin.
    Keeping drivers up to date is not a problem. Both Nvidia and AMD supply their own "certified" drivers for any OS, as long as they make a profit.
    As I'm sure you know, companies like Apple and Dell just make a deal behind the curtains with a certain company to only use their chips for certain models. Apple only uses AMD video cards now, Dell only used to work with Intel etc etc. Nobody's buying into that whole "drivers issues" bullshit.
    Seriously, how can you even bring that up? I mean, you're the ones saying Apple's profits are so high they make Microsoft's profits look small. Then you tell me Apple can only support one manufacturer, while Microsoft supports god knows how many (and more than one architecture). Don't you see you're contradicting yourself?

The customer has a right to choose. But just like you can't buy yourself a Ford XC90 you can't buy an Apple M14x. You have the choice of not buying from the manufacturer if you don't like the product offered.
    Basically, what you're saying is "you have the right to choose, but not if you buy Apple". I know, right? IT's all I've been saying for quite a few pages.

Or, I have the choice of building my own PC, in which case I have to deal with people that have no idea what they're talking about calling me either mainstream or hipster, gamer or poor or whatever else fits their dumb idea of an opinion.

In reality, I make a choice, get a better product and pay less, not to mention actually being smarter. It's only logical apple fanbois will go for the throat.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you'd actually checked the figures you would've known that Apple's market share in laptops and desktops has been growing. Their Mac sales are also growing in absolute numbers.

And plenty of developers already use Macs, go to any developer conference (excluding MS-centric ones organized by MS or one of their partners) and you'll have to be blind not to notice the hoards of developers using Apple laptops. And there are games on OS X, just not as many as on Windows. So yes, considering market share and absolute numbers of machines out there it would make sense for game developers to also start paying attention to the Mac market.
    Their share in the market has been growing, yes. However, what you're neglecting to do is consider the sheer size of the market.

Q1, Apple sold 5.2 million Macs. Now, let's be hypothetical, and say there's some growth over the year coming up.
    In fact, let's be fucking CRAZY and say, "Mac sales will have doubled by the end of the year". So in Q1, 5.2 million - in Q2, 6.9 million, in Q3, 8.6 million, and in Q4, 10.4 million.

It's an unprecedented year for Apple, in our hypothetical universe; they sold 31.1 million Macs!
    They'd be DOMINATING the market, right?

Wrong.

http://www.etforecasts.com/products/ES_pcww1203.htm
    http://www.c-i-a.com/worldwideuseexec.htm

Both of these resources (quickly found by doing 'yearly PC sales' as a google search string - literally result #1 and #2) will indicate that in 2010 (the most recent data available), there were 325 million PCs sold. Over 10 times the sales in our hypothetical universe!

In reality however, in 2010, there were 13,662,000 Macs sold. A piddly 4.2% market share.

source:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...r-Results.html

The article in the OP suggests that Mac sales have increased by 26%. That sounds like a lot, right?
    Except, as the Q4 results of 2010 suggests, this is actually a DROP in growth, as 2010 saw a 27% increase over 2009.

If anyone is guilty of not actually checking the figures, it is you.

How about the droves of old *nix guys who switched to Macs because they wanted a UNIX system that works out of the box? Or all the Java developers who use Macs (there's a load of them)?
    I'm one of those old *nix guys; I'd never consider a Mac a Unix system that 'works out of the box'.
    OSX has none of the features that I use a *nix-based OS for. It's no more a real Unix OS, than an XBox360 is a Windows system.

And again, define 'load'; sure there are a lot. However, the number of Java developers who use PCs dwarfs the number of those who use Macs by almost the same margin as PC users dwarf Mac users. It's just not a fair comparison, and the only people who develop for Macs are those who aren't in it for the money, I'll tell you that much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterus View Post
    When did computers/devices become a fashion statement and add to your sex appeal? Oh, I guess that was part of apples market advertising as well wasn't it.

I honestly don't care what other people spend their money on, but if there is a topic where clueless people are posting about how amazing their inferior product is I don't see why I shouldn't educate them.

My laptop has so much gloss on it enough to make any mac user jealous, trust me.

OSXL isn't a bad os. Windows just does everything you would ever need from it and more. W7 is a much more widely supported platform.
    So now you're the goto person in the world that decides what is or isn't able to be a fashion statement - grow up.
    It appears you do care about what people spend their money and if people are happy with their device why are you losing sleep over feeling you have the right to educate them.
    It appears you do care about what people spend their money

---------- Post added 2012-01-26 at 11:12 AM ----------

So then, why doesn't Apple let me choose between AMD and Nvidia?
    Consumers have the right to (gasp) not buy an Apple product if it doesn't have the option they want.

Your words:

1. Current Mac Pro lineup hasn't been refreshed in a long time.
    2. The target market for the Mac Pro isn't gamers, it's the kind of user who needs a workstation in the old-school meaning of the word.
    Yes AND, his computer won't be even near a bi-6-core-processor Mac Pro in terms of raw computing power.
    It's not made for games, which are usually designed to run on Mr. Nobody's computer, it's made for running extremely power-consuming professional programs which use every bit of it, and in that case, it completely blows a standard PC out.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    People talk about how Android has a higher market share than iOS as if that means anything. Of course it does, Android is open for anyone to put on their phone. It is to mobile devices what freewebs is to websites.

In terms of things that actually matter, Apple is annihilating. And what matters is hardware sales. The iPhone is the #1 phone on the planet, outselling every competitor there is. Don't look at which OS has more users, look at which phone has more users.
    You have to take OS into consideration, so you can count all devices. So Apple sold 37 mil iPhones, but Samsung was very close with 35 mil... the difference is far from "anihilating". And to that you can add all the phones sold by HTC, LG, Motorola for example, based on Android, which will dominate the iPhone numbers by a far greater margin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    Consumers have the right to (gasp) not buy an Apple product if it doesn't have the option they want.
    Yes - which I graciously do, not to mention laughing at people buying Apple products.
    How does that change the fact that Apple does NOT, in fact, tolerate customer choices?

Your words:
    "If you really wanted the look and feel of OSX I'm sure you could do some research and find something similar for windows."

You later altered this to "basic feel" but even so, just adding a new window manager and a theme to Windows does not in any way make it "feel" like Mac OS X. The main reason for this being that Windows isn't Mac OS X, the underlying systems are completely different, you'd need an abstraction layer between the two that handles everything from basic things like file system structure to default operating system dialog windows (not to mention that the two operating systems and applications for them have slightly different UI elements that are used in different ways and since this is repeated over and over again in each OS it is extremely hard to make Windows feel like OS X, just like fvwm95 doesn't feel like Windows 95 no matter how hard it tries).
    Which is exactly why I adjusted what I said to be harder to misconstrue. Windows could not every genuinely emulate OSX perfectly, so long as the underlying platforms are drastically different in many cases.

What I did mean to say was that if the appeal of the layout and general look of the OS appeals to you, it can be emulated very easily. No, it won't be OSX but it will look very similar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    well-built consumer computers in existence.
    My sister had a macbook that she spilt a small amount of liquid on (i know this isnt apples fault ofc) and it broke a few months later due to corrosion on the motherboard she took it into the apply store to get a quote for a repair and they are trying to charge £1100 just to replace a motherboard (although ofc they added in other components). However my mums laptop (dell) has had plenty of stuff spilt on it and nothing is faulty, and my dad has had his dell for eight years and its still going (hes careful with money and wont raplce it until its dead ) and i have never had a problem with my desktop. Just my personal example of macs being shoddy (have more examples when it comes to their phones)

Edit: Also the price paid for the hardware you actually get in their products is ridiculously overpriced and for anyone who doesnt know apple doesnt develop their own hardware

Deleted
    Keeping drivers up to date is not a problem. Both Nvidia and AMD supply their own "certified" drivers for any OS, as long as they make a profit.
    As I'm sure you know, companies like Apple and Dell just make a deal behind the curtains with a certain company to only use their chips for certain models. Apple only uses AMD video cards now, Dell only used to work with Intel etc etc. Nobody's buying into that whole "drivers issues" bullshit.
    Seriously, how can you even bring that up? I mean, you're the ones saying Apple's profits are so high they make Microsoft's profits look small. Then you tell me Apple can only support one manufacturer, while Microsoft supports god knows how many (and more than one architecture). Don't you see you're contradicting yourself?
    For one, the OS X drivers supplied by Nvidia and AMD for their workstation-class graphics cards are of notoriously low quality and Apple does put a lot of work into driver development themselves which is understandable considering that their business model for Macs is to sell a complete working solution. That's not to say there aren't flaws (for example, their OpenCL implementation leaves quite a bit to be desired).

And once again, more hardware configurations means higher costs and why would they do this just to gain the support of a fraction of the gamer community (which in itself is a tiny fraction of the market)?

Basically, what you're saying is "you have the right to choose, but not if you buy Apple". I know, right? IT's all I've been saying for quite a few pages.

Or, I have the choice of building my own PC, in which case I have to deal with people that have no idea what they're talking about calling me either mainstream or hipster, gamer or poor or whatever else fits their dumb idea of an opinion.

In reality, I make a choice, get a better product and pay less, not to mention actually being smarter. It's only logical apple fanbois will go for the throat.
    Yes, you have a choice. Why do you feel the need to cram that choice down other people's throats?