Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    With the 4man limit on diablo 3 I personally wouldn't consider it an MMO, that said if you consider being in the same room as 3 others 'massive' I'd say hey, you're in an MMO!

But in the end we can all look back on the day, when not a single **** was given.

He's not "batshit crazy", he just doesn't understand the definition of MMO.
    Diablo 3 is Online and has a Multiplayer option (even though it's a single-player game at its core), but will never be "Massive". The maximum amount of players you can interact with in-game at the same time is 3 (in a 4-player group). Compare that to WoW, where there are thousands of people in the game on your server at the same time... well, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    No it wouldnt be implied.

There are single player rts games example starcraft 1 on the nintendo 64 is single player or split screen no online.
    Final fantasy, parasite eve, .hack were all single player RPG's for the most part of 18 years.

RPG MOBA FPS RTS These are Sub genre MMO Single player Are the GameType. or w/e.

Just because you say some fps is and fps does not make it an mmo so you say mmofps.
    I am just thinking 10 years ago SC1 was just RTS ... nowdays it's MMORTS. It's the same game ... but with a fancy name.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    He's not "batshit crazy", he just doesn't understand the definition of MMO.
    Diablo 3 is Online and has a Multiplayer option (even though it's a single-player game at its core), but will never be "Massive". The maximum amount of players you can interact with in-game at the same time is 3 (in a 4-player group). Compare that to WoW, where there are thousands of people in the game on your server at the same time... well, yeah.
    Don't you interact via the Auction houses, with other players? well beyond just a few.

Deleted
    D3 as an MMO? What people are smoking these days...

Massive - no
    Multiplayer - yes (optional)
    Online - yes

I'd like to quote this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Yes it is an mmo, no he is not crazy.

Monster hunter is an mmo, Halo is an mmo, anything where the pool of people you can play with is more then the controlers you can plug in, is an mmo.
    Using this logic, i dare to claim that almost all games ARE or WILL BE MMO's, since i can use emulators, to play via net with other people, games like The Chaos Engine, Sonic, Super Mario Carts 64, also i can interact with other people... So i guess that those games are MMO's then.

/"Sarcasm" off

Most people miss the word >>>MASSIVE<<<
    Yes, people are right, WoW is mostly based around 10 15 25 40 content, which is not "massive" and they are right.
    Wanna play MMO? Play EVE or L2, those are MASSIVE.

P.S. Just to clarify one thing - if game allows you to strip away from other players and lets you play singleplayer mode - its not an mmo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SadWarrior View Post
    D3 as an MMO? What people are smoking these days...

Massive - no
    Multiplayer - yes (optional)
    Online - yes

I'd like to quote this post

Using this logic, i dare to claim that almost all games ARE or WILL BE MMO's, since i can use emulators, to play via net with other people, games like The Chaos Engine, Sonic, Super Mario Carts 64, also i can interact with other people... So i guess that those games are MMO's then.

/"Sarcasm" off

Most people miss the word >>>MASSIVE<<<
    Yes, people are right, WoW is mostly based around 10 15 25 40 content, which is not "massive" and they are right.
    Wanna play MMO? Play EVE or L2, those are MASSIVE.

P.S. Just to clarify one thing - if game allows you to strip away from other players and lets you play singleplayer mode - its not an mmo
    Then by your logic is guildwars 1 an mmo? is vindictus an mmo?

And p.s what is l2?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkzter View Post
    Batshit crazy? Really?
    Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    It is not an MMO. An MMO is where a huge number of people all play and interact together. Diablo III is where people play in groups of maximum 8 separately from the other groups.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKenny View Post
    It is not an MMO. An MMO is where a huge number of people all play and interact together. Diablo III is where people play in groups of maximum 8 separately from the other groups.
    8 was D2, D3 is 4 only

I think everyone's gonna drop down on their knees and beg for forgiveness when Blizz announces that Diablo 3 is a precursor to Titan. Yes that's my theory. On release its a coop with up to 4 players..... within 2 years its a full blown MMO

Well it would be cool

OT - IMO D3 is not an MMO.

this is really tricky with D3 in my eyes.

Is it online? YES.
    Is it multiplayer? YES.
    Is it massiveley multiplayer? Well hard to tell at D3. You can play with just 4 people, even the mentioned 8 would make it massiveley multiplayer. Tho over the auction house you are connected to massive amounts of other online gamers, and auction house means interacting with them which again influances your own gaming expierinece. so yeah i´m simply not sure what to say.

end of the line for me stays: This is a subject where you can be of different opinions and still nooone is really wrong.

Deleted
    The main hurdle for this case is that a lot of people seem to think MMO means "massive, multiplayer online" - it doesn't. It means "massively multiplayer online".

You can only ever group with 3 other players at a time in your own server world. There's no interaction between worlds.

Having a lobby and an auction house does not make the game an MMO. If that were the case Facebook and Ebay would be MMO's.
    Maybe you really think they are MMO's. If that's the case, then yes, to you D3 will be an MMO.

But as far as I'm concerned the term MMO applies to the playable bits (hense multiplayer), it is afterall a game. An auction house and a lobby chat room are not actually parts of the game.
    The game part is where you're running around hacking stuff to pieces. In that case you have a max of 4 players.
    Not an MMOARPG. MOARPG yes. MMOARPG no.
    Last edited by mmoc959f708b82; 2012-02-01 at 04:05 PM.

- Does Diablo 3 have a persistant world that updates while you are offline? No
    - Can you interact with thousands of other players, like meeting them in cities like Stormwind and Org, or randomly meeting other players while you are questing? No (the AH and the chatroom does NOT qualify as this)

Diablo is a hack and slack action RPG with the option of playing online with others (yes I am aware that your save file is saved on Blizzards server online, and that you can't play offline, but that is to prevent piracy, the game still plays EXACTLY like a offline single player game).

Diablo 3 is not a MMORPG. This is one the times where "I'm right, and if you disagree with me you are wrong", is apropriate (spelling?) to use. Simple as that. If you think Diablo 3 is a MMORPG, you need to look up what the term means.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Diablo 3 is a Hack n Slash type Co-op Online Role Playing Game.

This thread reminds me of time when some retard was hell bent on feeding people with "OMG ITS FPS GAEM" while talking about 3rd person shooters.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Lets look at the term MMO. Massively-multiplayer-online

Now lets look to see where it fits. And hopefully clear up some stuff because some people think the term MMO is strictly for the RPG genre when it isn't.

WoW is a massively multiplayer online role playing game.

The Battlefield games are massively multiplayer online first person shooters.

And Diablo 3 is a massively multiplayer online action role playing game that sports co-op gameplay.

Just because it's not open world and teams can only be a maximum of 4 doesn't mean it's any less of an MMO. You can still contact the thousands + players on your server directly, that alone makes it an MMO.

Looks like these days every game with online multiplayer is a mmo ... time to find new term for real MMOs.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    Lets look at the term MMO. Massively-multiplayer-online

Now lets look to see where it fits. And hopefully clear up some stuff because some people think the term MMO is strictly for the RPG genre when it isn't.

WoW is a massively multiplayer online role playing game.

The Battlefield games are massively multiplayer online first person shooters.

And Diablo 3 is a massively multiplayer online action role playing game that sports co-op gameplay.

Just because it's not open world and teams can only be a maximum of 4 doesn't mean it's any less of an MMO. You can still contact the thousands + players on your server directly, that alone makes it an MMO.
    Yes it does actually, Massively Multiplayer doesn't refer to the amount of people in a lobby but rather the amount of people active on one specific world at the same time. If there were 400 people playing D3 on the same map at the same time I could call it an MMO, but there wont, there will be 4 thats hardly massive.

By your logic I could call SC2 an mmo, or SC1 or any game that exists with a way to chat with others and MMO. Heck I can 'directly' contact anyone I want through steam so I guess every game that has steam features is an mmo now.

So in SC2 can you get in a party with 10 of your friends, and go wreak havoc on another group of 10 friends?

And steam is not a game.

Is anyone else as tired of "batshit insane" as I am?

Its not an MMO, its not "massively multiplayer". Why do you care so much what he calls it though?

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Is anyone else as tired of "batshit insane" as I am?

Its not an MMO, its not "massively multiplayer". Why do you care so much what he calls it though?
    It's true, I don't really care if the term MMO means something different to others than it does to me, I just posted what I consider to be an MMO and that's all really. Obviously people have different opinions and that's cool.