Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Blizzard makes more money from a single transfer out of a dead server than a monthly fee. Doing realm consolidations would cost them effort, cause bad publicity and lose transfer fees, so it's not going to happen. They care more about the short term profits than about their customers' enjoyment.
    That's pure pish.

Everyone who "can't afford" a realm transfer will happily sit on their dead realm for the next 3 months to complain about it all the while paying their monthly sub. Not one has the common sense to save the small amount required to move realm for a main char or couple of characters.

SSDD, people wanting stuff for free because they're different to everyone else.... You're not. You're a special snowflake in a Blizzard... Just like every other snowflake.

I always thought it would be nice if they did what they have in guild wars, which is a drop down menu at the top of the screen that allows you to go to what ever server you want.

You would essentially open up the entire population of 12 million to be able to join guilds and form parties together, but at the same time, still not have overcrowded cities with everyone in the same place.

The idea of separated servers is being kept around purely as a monetary decision in this day and age of server infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiana View Post
    But in the same time it makes such servers world top pve servers because it effectively doubles the amount of guilds and good pve players.
    I guess people that transfer to such servers understand that they are not going to get any world pvp activity anyway. Everything has a price. Especially hardcore pve progression.
    You could say that.. But we have only 1 guild that have 8/8hc, and the rest of them have 7/8. But in WotLK we were both "top guilds", fighting to be First, with the alliance. I miss that, i miss haveing alliance on my server, just to see a Nelf or a gnome makes it so much more fun.. To see an alliance player now is the same as winning the lottery IRL, around the same chance. And it sucks (i miss my alliance! ;( )
    And the reason my server is so full is more due to high ranked PvPers.. Half my PvE guild is gladiators.

Point is! If Blizz do this, is not a negative thing. It will make the game "fun" not only for PvPers, but for those people who hate pvp, but cant move to do dailys because there will be 9.9 vs 0.1 to kill you if you try (alliance)
    The game is after all based upon "Horde vs Alliance", and blizz made this problem, so they should fix it aswell.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by splashattack View Post
    That's pure pish.

Everyone who "can't afford" a realm transfer will happily sit on their dead realm for the next 3 months to complain about it all the while paying their monthly sub. Not one has the common sense to save the small amount required to move realm for a main char or couple of characters.
    If they don't have the money to transfer, odds are they'll probably just unsubscribe.

Seems like Blizzard wins in the long run, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas EU is still rocking

In the North American realms during peak hours I usually see 10 full servers and about 12 high population servers, the rest go to medium / low. There are 226 North American Realms? Only disadvantage I see with the medium and low population servers is a horrible economy, raid finder and LFG can solve the multiplayer parts of the game, but the local server still takes a hit.

I think eventually there will be some consolidation of realms, less hardware, less overhead.

There won't be server consolidations or at least blizzard will try hold off on that as long as possible. It will send a signal that the game is on a downhill path and you can't have that with SWTOR being a decent MMO and rift devs really putting great effort into that game. Of course the big boys Diablo 3 and Guild wars 2 will be making launches this year and if you think your realms are dead now wait until those games hit the market.

My suggestion to players who still enjoy wow, level a new char on a high pop server if you don't want to pay. It's extremely quick if you just dungeon your way to 80 and even questing is super fast. With the new dungeons and LFR your char will be raid ready in no time and eventually you will be able to play the only challenging part of the game (all 1% of it) heroic mode DS.

Alternatively you could get a fresh experience in SWTOR or Rift or take a MMO break until GW2 which is looking amazing too.
    Last edited by TimeTravel; 2012-01-30 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyKalibur View Post
    So in the last month, I've noticed a huge decrease in chatter (trade chat), AH postings and raids.
    Let's put it this way: [anal] and [Thunderfury] cascades, if they manage to start, last a merciless 5 minutes or less.

That, I can truthfully say has been the best thing done to trade chat in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Speaking as a EU alliance player I would love to transfer to Silvermoon EU theres just a multitude of problems when considering a move. First of all I want to keep playing with my guild so I would have to convince 25 players to move with me. Second of all I have 10 characters in order to have 1 of each proffesion, if I were to move I would want all proffesions on the new realm.
    Exactly the reason for some of us. We have a small group of friends that have stuck together since vanilla and endured 2 free realm transfers. Both off very heavy realms which came with random crashes and que times. We were happy to move as a group but with things the way they are now we would be looking at paid transfers which if it was reasonable, (I'm pretty poor but still play) I would be happy to pay. as it stands now I would transfer 3 of my characters for a total of 75 dollars. My wife would transfer all her level 85's which would cost 250 dollars. My son would want to transfer so he's in it for 25 and my daughter for 50. Holy crap!!! Nah I can't afford that. I want to stay excited about playing the game but the endless wait... no one in guild coming online... leaves you with grinding out some mats for the acquisition of gold or just find a conversation to participate in.... LOL That's not easy now in days either. To me I think it would be in their best interest to do the math, research and give a little to their loyal players.
    Last edited by ToyKalibur; 2012-01-30 at 05:45 PM.
    Nothing to see here!

Had 3 other people today ask where everyone is... Their words were "it's like a ghost town around here for weeks". I don't think I could have said it better.

Still dead.
    Last edited by ToyKalibur; 2012-02-05 at 12:07 AM.
    Nothing to see here!

I see other threads with the same thing. Hope Blizz acts on some of this. I know it's a stretch but would keep me interested I know.
    Nothing to see here!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyKalibur View Post
    I see other threads with the same thing. Hope Blizz acts on some of this. I know it's a stretch but would keep me interested I know.
    The most I could envision them doing at the moment is just keeping up the realm transfers to lower pop realms.

Even then the huge problem is that people -know- those realms are emptying out, and it becomes a massively less appealing feature. Why leave your warm, well-lit, and popping server for another cold, dank, tumble-weed ridden one?

It's just 'meh' at this point I suppose, but the free transfers are definitely losing any effectiveness at combating the problem that they've had.