Maybe school environments have changed in the decade plus since I graduated high school...

But there was no objection to academic study of various religions. Half of my Junior year "world history" class was devoted to the major world religions.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 05:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Valid point. I felt that we were going a whole new path and tried to read back on the thread. I honestly have no clue how this whole thing started, so Imma leave it before we go into tangent^7.
    It started between KingHorse, Wells, and myself, I think, several pages ago, with some different conversation between.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Maybe school environments have changed in the decade plus since I graduated high school...

But there was no objection to academic study of various religions. Half of my Junior year "world history" class was devoted to the major world religions.
    People are even more spechul snowflakes now.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    People are even more spechul snowflakes now.
    I see that as a problem, if true...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Honestly, a school is not going to be a forum for profound religious discussion. Period.

No need to bring upon topics that will become controversial in that environment.
    Well - we had Religion class in our "high school" and we did nothing but discuss it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, a school is not going to be a forum for profound religious discussion. Period.

No need to bring upon topics that will become controversial in that environment.
    Noone's asking students to give a dissertation on the reasoning behind the Crusades.

But it's a good place to get stupid questions out of the way before you send kids off into the real world and expect them to be magically tolerant of stuff they don't understand, or for all we know could have been taught by peers to fear.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    Oh yea, I wanted to dig this up the other day, because something bothered me when the whole "Texas wants to get rid of critical thinking!" story hit. As per the coverage,

First off, no one seems to have covered this little tidbit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_...hinking_skills

Further, and this is what I got from the original quote that everyone went apeshit about: Texas' Republican party objects to the basic precepts of 'OBE.' We will all our own opinions about how students should be educated, but I don't think it's overly fair to criticize on a shallow, sensationalized misinterpretation. There are plenty of pro's and con's we can actually discuss when it comes to O.B.E. as a system as opposed to 'traditional' education, or other systems.

In school, but outside of the classroom, students will already be encountering each others' religions on a daily basis. It seems to me that encouraging ongoing ignorance of others is more likely to lead to bullying and persecution, where as being exposed to other cultures and religions (even outside of those currently represented by enrollment) is more likely to defuse such crises of identity.

Don't you see a value in educating people as to the difference between a Muslim and a Sikh? Or that very few Muslims are in the business of killing us? There is a way it can be done, that doesn't promote any specific religion, but that encourages tolerance and understanding. It seems preposterous that we could teach tolerance and acceptance of gay and alternate lifestyles, but religion would be too controversial. Or do you think we should pretend gay people don't exist, too?
    i dont think any school bans private religious discussion among students. a valedictorian speech is different, and really no place for promoting personal beliefs. i realize the student in question was only crediting his faith for his success, but it could very easily have been something less wholesome. a blanket ban covers all bases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Well - we had Religion class in our "high school" and we did nothing but discuss it...
    Yeah, well, Europe is a bit more mature about religion.

Over here we're still fighting about stuff like evolution cuz OMFG JEBUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

10+ Year Old Account

Except I've had courses discussing religion that have been civil. So, you know, generalizations and all that.

Well our religion classes were not just Christianity - it also includes Islam since its the second largest and then we voted at the start of the year if we wanted Buddhism or Hinduism as a third faith.

yeah theres a difference between "academic discussion" and promotion of religions. i dont think refraining from promotion constitutes active oppression.

You mean, besides all the European countries that still have state religions?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    They're a useless cultural relic.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Useless cultural relics supported by taxpayers.

Useless cultural relics supported by taxpayers.
    Not if you don't belong in the church.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well our religion classes were not just Christianity - it also includes Islam since its the second largest and then we voted at the start of the year if we wanted Buddhism or Hinduism as a third faith.
    Sigh, it's not even what I meant.

---------- Post added 2012-08-26 at 03:37 PM ----------

Yeah, the ones that pass gay marriage even if the church doesn't like it. Unlike the US.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Also part of the monarchies - which again are tradition - or in the case of britain, a hostage situations

10+ Year Old Account
    Also part of the monarchies - which again are tradition - or in the case of britain, a hostage situations
    Prince Harry can take me hostage any time.

Yeah, the ones that pass gay marriage even if the church doesn't like it. Unlike the US.
    I didn't know that was your standard. You said more mature. But either way. In ten years the United States will recognize gay marriage if not at the Federal level, at least in a majority of states. And a dozen countries in Europe will still have state religions, still with taxpayers supporting them. In some cases whether they belong or not.

I didn't know that was your standard. You said more mature. But either way. In ten years the United States will recognize gay marriage if not at the Federal level, at least in a majority of states. And a dozen countries in Europe will still have state religions, still with taxpayers supporting them. In some cases whether they belong or not.
    We have church taxes - if you arent part of church then you dont pay church tax.

And a dozen countries in Europe will still have state religions, still with taxpayers supporting them. In some cases whether they belong or not.
    Once the older generations who are die hard in support of this tradition are gone (and these people are already a minority), it will go from useless to non-existant. In some cases that'll happen even sooner. Norway for example is on its way to make it happen anytime now.

As for gay marriage happening in the US in a large scale: I wouldn't be so sure of that as long as the GOP stays the way it is atm.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-08-26 at 08:00 PM.