Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Again, midterm elections =/= term elections. People tend to hate Congress as an institution which skews the numbers.

Additionally, considering voting in the Republicans resulted in a worse than do-nothing Congress, many of them may change their mind.

Then again, I don't have much respect for undecided voters.

Nope because those Republicans that was voted into office in 2010 did what they campaigned for that got them in office and that was to put a stop to the government over spending

So you look at it as a do nothing congress and i look at it as they did what they said they would do

10+ Year Old Account
    Civics is not a graduation requirement in American High Schools. Hence the mass of uneducated voters that don't understand a number of things.

For instance, in the US do you know what it takes to sponsor and co-sign a bill? Putting your name on it. Which you can do at any point up until the last minute.
    That is one that has always confused me about US education. The purpose of education on a base level should be to prepare people for the coming world. Ideally it would go much further than the minimum required to function properly as an adult, but in the end, things such as individual economics, critical comprehension of issues, logical thought, civics, fluency-oriented language classes, and American law seem far more important than aiming several years of education towards passing standardized exams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    That is one that has always confused me about US education. The purpose of education on a base level should be to prepare people for the coming world. Ideally it would go much further than the minimum required to function properly as an adult, but in the end, things such as individual economics, critical comprehension of issues, logical thought, civics, fluency-oriented language classes, and American law seem far more important than aiming several years of education towards passing standardized exams.
    Believe me, it's a conundrum that is not lost on the current crop of educators. The problem is people demand "Practical" results from education at the cost of its social benefit.

Personally, I think citizenship tests should be required in order to vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Believe me, it's a conundrum that is not lost on the current crop of educators. The problem is people demand "Practical" results from education at the cost of its social benefit.

Personally, I think citizenship tests should be required in order to vote.
    I think that only individuals who have served in the military and defended our off world colonies should get to be citizens!
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I think that only individuals who have served in the military and defended our off world colonies should get to be citizens!
    Bitch please, the bureaucracy is just as necessary as the military.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bitch please, the bureaucracy is just as necessary as the military.
    NEVAR! Join the MI if you want to vote!

I watched The Newsroom and it doesnt paint a pretty picture of the Tea Party. Well... The Tea Party doesnt paint a pretty picture of the Tea Party but you know what i mean.
    It also makes the debates look absolutely ridiculous

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 07:58 PM ----------

Only after Buenos Aires is destroyed by an asterioid will people listen!

Military service should be required to become a politician. Maybe this way they will actually reconsider before creating more wars.

(And make it so that they must serve as a grunt for at lest 1 year)

/Not joking

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I think Fleet is the way to go. Fleet has sexier uniforms, and you don't have to do CQC with giant acid-spitting bugs...

10+ Year Old Account
    Civics is not a graduation requirement in American High Schools. Hence the mass of uneducated voters that don't understand a number of things.

For instance, in the US do you know what it takes to sponsor and co-sign a bill? Putting your name on it. Which you can do at any point up until the last minute.
    I don't know what state you are in, but a graduation requirement at the high school I attended, was a class called "American Government" which is civics.

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I watched The Newsroom and it doesnt paint a pretty picture of the Tea Party. Well... The Tea Party doesnt paint a pretty picture of the Tea Party but you know what i mean.
    It also makes the debates look absolutely ridiculous

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 07:58 PM ----------

I like The Newsroom, the only issue is that it is an idealized version of the way the news should have been covered. It is a fantasy, like The West Wing was a fantasy. Good fantasies, I will give them that, but fantasies nonetheless.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I dunno, I think Fleet is the way to go. Fleet has sexier uniforms, and you don't have to do CQC with giant acid-spitting bugs...
    You don't get power armor and shoulder launched tac nukes either.

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    By then, it'll be too late.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I don't know what state you are in, but a graduation requirement at the high school I attended, was a class called "American Government" which is civics/
    Probably a district only thing. The four districts near where I live do not have a civics requirement for graduation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably a district only thing. The four districts near where I live do not have a civics requirement for graduation.
    Intresting, and where are you, if you do not mind me asking?
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Intresting, and where are you, if you do not mind me asking?
    The 'Teau.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't get power armor and shoulder launched tac nukes either.
    Hey man, if you want to be a grunt then by all means, go for it. But bugs scare the crap out of me when they aren't 10 feet tall and ripping guys in half.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey man, if you want to be a grunt then by all means, go for it. But bugs scare the crap out of me when they aren't 10 feet tall and ripping guys in half.
    Focus your rage and strike them down!

...Wait, wrong movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnevis View Post
    Romney has a six point lead among Ohio Independent voters according to that recent CBS poll, but a five point deficit overall in the state. He sure might win Florida, but not many prognosticators are thinking he'll take Ohio.

You're up on the spin, but my bet would be with the people who are actually betting. Romney's back under $3.30 on Intrade.
    Its worth remembering that conservatives over report themselves as independent. Something like 40% of tea partiers list themselves as such even though they vote straight GOP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its worth remembering that conservatives over report themselves as independent. Something like 40% of tea partiers list themselves as such even though they vote straight GOP.
    Yeah, I think the race is pretty much sealed at this point. With only a couple of polls showing a Romney lead and the majority of the swing states posting Obama leads, it's hard to imagine the Republicans grabbing the election.

15+ Year Old Account
    No but the International Fleet does have to deal with giant ants.

I may be switching stories here...
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Yea, ground pounders are sooooo last year...