10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The cost of doing business in a dense area like California is always going to be higher than in the less developed parts of the US, that's just basic economics.
    California is actually in a pretty bad way. All the harsh legislation really does just hurt it because of the way the states work.

For example, the Apple thing with Apple having an office in Reno to avoid the 8.8% corporate tax.

The wealthiest and most able companies get around it and California's exponentially growing social welfare need/expectation isn't in line with their budgetary issues. There's all sorts of shadow economies, and the fastest growing business is fueled by illegal, out of the country people.

Just outside one of the wealthiest areas in Cali (SF) is one of the US's worst areas of foreclosure (Modesto, ranked 3rd, IIRC).

The worst part of California's problems is that their whole system needs reform. The tax code/incentives, minimum wage laws, immigration, education, infrastructure and just the way the state is run. I'm sure there's bureaucratic excess.

As a point of reference, I see the whole US immigration issue as having two poles: California and Arizona. California gives them waaaaaay too much, but Arizona has as part of it's culture people who watch the border and shoot illegals as they cross for sport. AZ's law about proving your citizenship brings to mind images of fascist jackboots dragging off people who don't have their 'papers'.

And California's knee jerk environmental are painful to the state because they just make it to where companies leave and makes it harder on the people that are there. If we care about the environment, we can't take a stance of, 'Well, we're green in California, so that's good enough.' Especially when all it does is hurt the lower three quintiles of the population.

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I'd bet California's dairy/cow industry does more damage to the environment than LA.

And every "Green" SF hipster with their smart phones taking Instagram pictures, using their $2000 Facebook machines to tweet pseudo-philosophical drivel while drinking lattes before driving their lithium laden hybrids to the hip new underground spot fueled with "party favors" manufactured by one of the world's last great slave trades needs to realize that they're ginos and hypocrites to boot.
    Last edited by Stanton Biston; 2012-05-01 at 11:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    And every "Green" SF hipster with their smart phones taking Instagram pictures, using their $2000 Facebook machines to tweet pseudo-philosophical drivel while drinking lattes before driving their lithium laden hybrids to the hip new underground spot fueled with "party favors" manufactured by one of the world's last great slave trades needs to realize that they're ginos and hypocrites to boot.
    This is almost sig worthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real Clear Politics electoral map: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...llege_map.html

Interesting that Arizona is classified as a toss up atm.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Real Clear Politics electoral map: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...llege_map.html

Interesting that Arizona is classified as a toss up atm.
    Brown people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brown people.

Bad Wells! BAD!!! That isn't very PC of you...
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Bad Wells! BAD!!! That isn't very PC of you...
    /shrug it's the answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    /shrug it's the answer.
    I believe they prefer the term "chicano," this week at least.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Brown people.
    Phoenix, AZ is the fastest growing source of hipsters according to Time magazine.

A plot by Austin, San Francisco and Portland to divert the stream, I'm sure.
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

15+ Year Old Account
    Phoenix, AZ is the fastest growing source of hipsters according to Time magazine.

A plot by Austin, San Francisco and Portland to divert the stream, I'm sure.
    If we didn't remove them, being Hipsters, our Smug clouds might combine and cause catastrophic damage to the world
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    If we didn't remove them, being Hipsters, our Smug clouds might combine and cause catastrophic damage to the world
    The catastrophic damage being the final deification of Zooey Dachenal and the resulting 'vintage' obsessed mass of zombies.

The zombie apocalypse will not start in a secret laboratory or in the den of foul worship of some otherworldly essence.

The apocalypse will start in a Goodwill and it will be ironic.
    Last edited by Stanton Biston; 2012-05-02 at 05:08 AM.

The catastrophic damage being the final deification of Zooey Dachenal and the resulting 'vintage' obsessed mass of zombies.

The zombie apocalypse will not start in a secret laboratory or in the den of foul worship of some otherworldly essence.

The apocalypse will start in a Goodwill and it will ironic.
    All of Arizona is sacrificed so she can ascend to her new throne as a Hipster Lord.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have absolutely no idea what just happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what just happened.
    Neither do I, but I think I might approve...maybe.

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Neither do I, but I think I might approve...maybe.
    Arizona, classically portrayed as a 'red' state is being portrayed more as a swing state. This is odd, given Arizona's recent very 'red' acts like their immigration laws and recent supreme court case.

I countered with the fact that Time magazine stated that Phoenix had the fastest rising number of hipsters. Interestingly enough, Time provided a working definition: Over 25, college graduate, moving to a city without first securing employment. Which is a pretty 'blue' class of people.

The funny thing about Arizona is they have a huge population that isn't really represented in their state government due to districting and poor voter turnout. It was just made worse by the 2010 deadlines.

Low property costs also bring in a lot of retirees. We saw the same stuff in Florida, though that's winding down there as property values go up.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Unless of course you're referring to the density of our politicians when it comes to fiscal accountability, then I would have to agree with you.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:09 PM ----------

Admittedly I'm not very well schooled in economics, but how does an already developed infrastructure and plentiful human resources drive prices up in the first place?
    Yea, those politicians you've got seem quite dense

10+ Year Old Account
    Figured an Obama ad might belong here.

- King Stannis Baratheon

lmao. 'I keep hearing about tumblr, and whatever that is too.'

I had lols over the depiction of the Koch Brothers.

But all the things they talk about halfway through amount to "Elect Romney and he'll continue fucking up after us."

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the things I really like about the ad is the tone of it.

- King Stannis Baratheon