Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    it's different for everyone, what motivates you might not motivate me! You just have to find what motivates you

this may seem weird but i got motivated by watching the biggest loser on netflix. seeing how fat everybody starts every season, and then seeing how skinny and great looking they are at the end of the season a few months later, its just really motivating and makes you want to make your own epic changes. and when you watch monstrously obese people exercise, all you can think is, if people as fat as THAT can do it, so can you.

Quote Originally Posted by mishmashmoo View Post
    Any tips? I keep telling myself i need to change my lifestyle but i can never follow through with it
    Think of it as a quest for more sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoomkin View Post
    Think of it as a quest for more sex.
    Haha that would explain why people tend to put on weight when they get married, realizing they're stuck with one person and will never do any better / worse.

Hmmm, a really simple one is after like the first couple of weeks you actually notice the difference.
    I come out of gym now feeling like a sexual tyranosaurus (not quite Jonny Bravo but getting there). The first couple of times you go it takes a bit to get yourself up for it, after that it's stupidly easy to stay on the wagon.

Have a read around about excercise suggests in the direction you want to go (I'm guessing it's shedding fat but you might be coming from the other end too). The more I educated myself about what I wanted to do there was more "aaaahhhh! /facepalm" moments when you realise the smaller end of the changes to make are pretty easy.

Try squash if you aren't horrifically unfit, super awesome fun game /nod.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2012-02-05 at 08:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

you need some good inspirational music!
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

15+ Year Old Account
    Get an exercise buddy. Me and my friend went to the gym together and we motivated each other into going when we couldn't be bothered, it was fun when we were there and had a laugh. After a short while you notice the physical differences and the extra energy you have and that is self-motivating. I used to enjoy going to the gym, the aching is a reminded of what you have to be proud of, and even when I was tired I felt full of energy. When work changed my shift I could no longer go with my friend anymore, and I lost the motivation to keep going myself (plus, I got paranoid everyone was staring at me when I was alone lol).

Also make a schedule, and follow it no matter what. No shortcuts and no "I cba, I'll do double tomorrow", force yourself to do exactly what you've planned and you'll feel proud for it. As soon as you skip one day of exercise, it easily becomes a week, then it'd hard to get yourself motivated again. Trust me, I know.

Diet is just as important as exercise too.
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

Deleted
    It's hard to motivate yourself unless you really want it, if you really want it you will just do it without thinking about it.
    If it feels like a choir it won't last very long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the best thing iv read for people to start excercising, especially if your a gamer, is to earn your gametime, for every hour you want to play video games you have to do 10 push-ups or sit-ups. also walking regularly is a good thing, and when you go shopping always park in the furthest possible spot you can find from the store and walk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just tell yourself - no sex unless you work out.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    The key to any good workout I do is music. If I didn't have my mp3 player with music, I would never make it through a gym session.

Came to the realization that I was going to probably end up being dead by the time I was 40 if I didn't change course.

The best advice that I can give you is to shut the fuck up, stop making forum posts about it, and go squat. If you want to change, then be a big boy, get up, and go. You don't need fancy motivational techniques. You need a solid diet, solid programming, and to just make working out something that you do.

Oh man, taking that first step is a bitch. You want to but when it comes down to it you can't get your ass out of bed. I've been there and I can tell you that it will be difficult even after you have taken that first, second, and third step. But don't fret. Once you get the ball rolling you will find each exercise sessions easier to accomplish and you will even find yourself ready and aching to go back to the gym.

Here are a few steps, and tips, that worked for me:

- Look for a gym and trainer. You need a gym that will give you access to all the tools needed to reach your goal. And you need someone who will motivate and push you. If you don't have anyone, with knowledge and experience, telling you and reminding you what those goals then you will be doing yourself a disservice.

- If personal trainers are too expensive then take active sport classes. I'm not talking pilates here. I'm talking boxing and kickboxing with gloves and bags. You want a class that will focus not only in your physical appearance but also endurance. Not only will you look great but you are learning self-defense and you will be able to keep up with others when playing outdoor games of any kind.

- Love and hate your body. See those man boobs and the belly? Hate them. Be embarrassed about them. Once you start training them look at yourself in the mirror, naked, and take a mental picture (or real picture if you want physical proof) so you will see how you progress.

- Do not be embarrassed about exercising. When you are in a gym, a class, or with a trainer, remember that you are not the only one trying to get in a shape. Don't try to compete with others or attempt to look good for anyone else. This is a personal goal and all your thoughts should be focused on you. The only outside voice you should hear is the trainer urging you to move forward.

Good luck with the exercising and I really do hope you reach your goals.
    I'm still thinking about it...

Ask a friend if they would like to become your workout partner. Also start off easy and slow once you start the workouts you start to feel good about yourself and you get thoughts of I can do this! Go out and jog/run a mile or two everyday or every other day whatever works for you.

You don't have to get ripped or super cut that's a whole new level and requires tons of dedication on the workouts and especially the diet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if this will apply to you but I recently started exercising and eating healthier too, and for a long long time that's been something I wanted to do but just never did.

For me the thing that finally got me to do it was cutting all fizzy drinks, or anything with artificial sugar and especially caffeine in it, and after about a week I felt so much better than I ever have, even just getting up in the morning is easier with no caffeine in my diet, so from there I took it further. I don't know if you drink as much coke (or pepsi etc) as I used to but if so then try that, or if you have another similar vice then try cutting that out instead to motivate you.

EDIT: Many people tell you that you'll feel better, healthier etc if you exercise or stop eating X but I think the most motivation comes from actually experiencing it your self.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you feel the urge to exercise, force yourself to the floor and begin doing pushups. Once you get started it's easier to continue.

Get a job at a fast food joint, cooking nasty food for fat slobs all day will really push you to get in shape. It did for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Stop thinking about it and just do it.
    this really. i find if i tend to think about it i just start getting lazy and find reasons not to..and tbh they are more compelling..