Thread: [Music] Genres

[Music] Genres

Hello internet, a question for you. Today at work, they decided to play the local "Oldies" station. Throughout the day, I kept muttering to myself "This is not oldies" As the day went on, discussions started about what songs are oldies and what is not.

As of typing this, here is the last 10 songs played on the station:
    1. Spinners (1976) - Rubberband Man
    2. Stealers Wheel (1972) - Stuck In The Middle With You
    3. Creedence Clearwater Revival (1972) - Sweet Hitch-hiker
    4. Grand Funk Railroad (1974) - Some Kind Of Wonderful
    5. Simon & Garfunkel (1970) - Cecilia
    6. Beach Boys - (1988) Kokomo
    7. Sugarloaf (1970) - Green-eyed Lady
    8. Kenny Loggins (1979) - This Is It
    9. Temptations (1964) - My Girl
    10. Paul Mccartney & Wings (1973) - Band On The Run

Does this seem like an "oldies" genre lineup?

I'd like to get some random perspectives on if these songs are "Oldies" or not. After a few responses, I'll post with my argument on why I think this local radio station needs to change its tagline to something other then "*City name*'s ONLY Oldies Station"

Oldies generally means "older than x"... so as time goes by, more music is going to be brought into the genre. Kokomo is probably the only tune that doesn't fit, but it has a sound so similiar to older BB music that they probably don't even make the distinction.

"oldies" isn't even a genre... It's more like a definition or description of music before the 1980s which is currently accepted by radio stations around the world.

Deleted
    Imagine 30 years from now Kesha is going to be considered an oldie... *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Imagine 30 years from now Kesha is going to be considered an oldie... *shudder*
    No, she won't. Music that's classified as "oldies" is usually also a "classic". Not all popular, trending music is considered a classic, thankfully.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    No, she won't. Music that's classified as "oldies" is usually also a "classic". Not all popular, trending music is considered a classic, thankfully.
    This.

And then there are Bands - like The Jimi Hendrix Experience or Pink Floyd - I would never refer to as Oldies. Some music just does not get old and is relevant to this date.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would consider that list to be more in the classic rock realm (With the exception of the seemingly random "Kokomo" which is oddly misplaced in that lineup). The term "oldies" makes me think more of pop hits from the late 50's to mid-60's. Stuff like old doo-wop, early Motown, etc. Though the term "oldies" really is more of a subjective term than an actual classification, as others have said. You say "oldies" to my grandpa and he'll start talking about Benny Goodman :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been told my 90's music is oldies. go figure...