Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Well Gandalf wielded a sword, defeating demons and such, in a dress.

just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Well Gandalf wielded a sword, defeating demons and such, in a dress.

just saying
    wonder who would win a sword-duell if Aragorn and Gandalf fought against each other (Gandalf without his magic). Everyone can wield a sword, but the question is: can he wield it effectively?

Well Gandalf was sort of a demi-god, so don't think that would be a fair fight. And his magic is not really magic in what we think anyway. It was very low key.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Gandalf without his magic
    that's the flaw in your thinking, you assume there is only one way to do something and saying "everything else cant be used, i dont care if its how your new style works!" it'd be like asking an elementalist to never use fire and earth attunement b/c you think all mage type characters should only cast ice and lightning

who's to say a spellsword, magus, eldric knight, or arcane archer is bad because they break the mold? thats why they are awesome. their different abilities give them something totally new and new ways to approach situations that no one else can do.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Gosh, Spellsword was so fun. When they put out the Book of Nine Swords, I was all over it. Crusader, Swordsage... more. I want it all! Laser swords, wings like a angel, the fiery aura of a demon and the ability to bend space & time to my will.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...?t-132503.html

4ever.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-11 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    who's to say a spellsword, magus, eldric knight, or arcane archer is bad because they break the mold? thats why they are awesome. their different abilities give them something totally new and new ways to approach situations that no one else can do.
    I don't say it's bad. But a spellsword is no warrior and no elementalist either. If there was a profession spellsword then I would love to see spells which are characteristic for that playstlye. I just don't feel that a thief should be able to throw fireballs... if so he should be renamed to some profession which does that stuff.

in the example above... well isn't Gandalf an Maia (??). So he is definitely not a wizard only, I guess it would be ok for me if he is swinging a sword too.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-07-11 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    No, your POV makes a lot of sense. It's more a preference for "low magic" & strong archetypal game settings you seem to desire.

Many people find the "fantasy" more palpable when it revolves around internal logic that isn't too outlandish-- the desire to see warriors slay dragons in plate armor instead of a wedding dress, for noble heroes of the realm to ride horses instead of zipping around on jet packs, wizards wearing robes instead of pimp suits, etc.

Not uncommon really.
    I.. agree. It's not uncommon at all, and that line of thinking is applies to other areas, at least for me. For instance it is why I'm glad the costumes/town clothes are kept separate, kept to non-combat, from combat gear. I don't want a Warrior to override her plate armor with a wedding dress costume. Not everyone may see it that way, like it or agree.. but hey, that's how I see it.