Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Stay with an abusive husband?

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/articl...ove-about-your

To quote:

In Wisconsin -- yes, the same state where lawmakers have introduced a bill penalizing single mothers for being unmarried -- a Republican state representative has come out against divorce for any reason -- even domestic abuse.

Instead of leaving an abusive situation, women should try to remember the things they love about their husbands, Representative Don Pridemore said. "If they can re-find those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help," he told a local news station.

...... I've apparently forgotten what century I live in.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    welcome to a republican america... keep em out of office!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    welcome to a republican america... keep em out of office!
    i despise the republican party, but even i cant lay this at their feet. this is one crazy lone gunman. man, what an idiot

Disgusting is what it is. How can someone suggest something like this with a straight face? Oh yeah, they're religious, manchavinistic, woman-hating pigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

I'm making a prediction:

He's not going to get re-elected.
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

Deleted
    Unbelievable... Just un-fucking-believable...

I guess that we should, in this world that's gone to hell in some respects, really consider it a good thing that something like this comes out in news and blogs as a ''wtf'' scandal, rather than the way that it's supposed to be...

But seriously, I'm not from the USA, but lately it seems to me that they're just breaking world records in stupidity and offensive behavior one after another..

What. Umm... What.
    Somebody remind me what year it is, because it sure doesn't seem like 2012 to me. Even if there is no domestic violence taking place, everybody should still have the right to a divorce. Nobody should force you to stay in a marriage you don't want to stay in. Who cares if the divorce rate is shitty, it's not the government's business to get involved. It's none of their business.

10+ Year Old Account
    One step further on the war on women, it seems.

I'm actually in favor of this. If Christians say that the bible tells them gay marriage is wrong, well it also says divorce is wrong also. Also they should go a step further and kill girls who are not virgins that get married. Why? It's in the bible..

Deuteronomy 22:13-21
    New International Version (NIV)
    Marriage Violations

"13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.
    20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you."

i get your point snakes, and i happen to agree (assuming you are indeed using satire here), you're begging for an infraction. please watch your step, as i like your thinking

Lol it seems like every single PROPOSAL for a ridiculous law ends up on here. Guess what? Crazy people have crazy ideals. Doesn't mean that most of these laws will come even close to passing. Actually this wasn't even for proposing a law. This was just an example of freedom of speech. I could care less what he says, even if it is insane.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    I'm actually in favor of this. If Christians say that the bible tells them gay marriage is wrong, well it also says divorce is wrong also. Also they should go a step further and kill girls who are not virgins that get married. Why? It's in the bible..

Deuteronomy 22:13-21
    New International Version (NIV)
    Marriage Violations

"13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.
    20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you."
    This was the old law that hasn't been in effect for christians since 33 BC, almost 2000 years ago. Jesus gave a new law in the same bible if you cared to read it you would understand it better. Biblically, women shouldn't stay with an abusive husband.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    This was the old law that hasn't been in effect for christians since 33 BC, almost 2000 years ago. Jesus gave a new law in the same bible if you cared to read it you would understand it better. Biblically, women shouldn't stay with an abusive husband.
    Exactly. Snakeseye0 really have no clue what he's talking about.

The OP isn't actually quoting the article provided.

Here's an actual quote from the article.
    "It is inexcusable that a single mother making $15,000 gets her kid out of the Milwaukee Public Schools but a married couple earning $50,000 is stuck in the public schools," he wrote. "It is also somewhat outrageous that some married couples feel they can only afford one or two children in part because they are paying excessive taxes to provide programs for someone else to have four or five children.
    Sounds like a pretty reasonable position to me.

Here's another quote that comes to mind:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    A lie can run around the world six times while the truth is still trying to put on its pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceresc View Post
    http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/articl...ove-about-your

To quote:

In Wisconsin -- yes, the same state where lawmakers have introduced a bill penalizing single mothers for being unmarried -- a Republican state representative has come out against divorce for any reason -- even domestic abuse.

Instead of leaving an abusive situation, women should try to remember the things they love about their husbands, Representative Don Pridemore said. "If they can re-find those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help," he told a local news station.

...... I've apparently forgotten what century I live in.
    I have no words. "Instead of leaving an abusive situation, women should try to remember the things they love about their husbands"
    women: You're right, I enjoy getting beaten when he comes home drunk every night. Thanks, Wisconsin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Ok why don't you go ahead and tell me the new law than.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

Here's another quote that comes to mind:
    But propaganda websites blowing things way out of proportion is entertainment for all!

I hope whoever runs against this misogynistic pig next election will win by a landslide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

Or maybe you're reading a completely different article than the rest of us. Because the article linked in the OP actually does say:
    According to Yahoo News, Wisconsin Rep. Don Pridemore helpfully suggests that, rather than divorcing an abusive spouse, you should try to remember the things you love about the guy while he is beating you up.

Which links to: http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/wisc...232700220.html

Which in turn links to: http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/142161793.html
    The bill's co-sponsor, Representative Don Pridemore, told TODAY'S TMJ4 he thinks even in abusive relationships, there are other options than divorce.

"If they can refind those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help," said Representative Don Pridemore.

Assuming all the various articles are reporting accurately, there is nothing reasonable about this position.

How do these people get elected to public office? If they are truly one-off crazies, how the eff did they get to this level of power in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps both couple shouldn't have open their legs and pants before they get married or know each other for very long time. The problem with people today is they are rushing into marriage or having relationship without knowing each other. "Pregnant? Ooops, let's get married." "I love you and I've known you only for two months! Let's get married!" Seriously, what were they thinking?

Every couple who want to get marry should go to marriage counselor so they will be better prepared and aware what to expect in the marriage. Not only that, spend your time getting know that person. Don't rush it. Check how he/she react among friends, his home, his workplace, and much more. Unless something had impact and change them during the course of the marriage, they have no one but themselves to blame for not knowing that person, whether they are abusive or not.