Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    It also has huge improvements to the combat system. FUCK STAGGERS!!!
    That reminds me.... Why the heck does disarm make you drop your weapons? I know people who lost exceptionally valuable items just because they blended into the floor. It's uncommon, but still.

Skyrim, and TES in general, is a game/series that really requires you to see a bigger picture if you actually want to enjoy the game.

My only beef with the game was that the Oblivion quests were, on average, far more creative than anything in Skyrim.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    -> Vast world to explore
    -> Good graphics
    -> Hundreds of quests and different storylines. Sorry but you didn't "beat" the game. If you think doing the main quest has anything to do with beating this game then you need to go back to derping in CoD or whatever the hell you normally play. Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls don't work that way
    -> A lot of people like the combat. I admittedly don't but neither is it terrible, I actually quite liked Destruction mages it's the melee combat I can't stand

That seems to be your main issue. You can play Skyrim for a hundred hours and not even touch the main storyline. It's a shit storyline anyway, nothing compared to games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. It's also not meant to be as good. Do you bitch about the storyline in Minecraft? Some games are not made to be played in a linear fasion and cannot be quantified like that. You are treating the game as if it's one primary quest and some side quests, when it's in fact a sandbox world with many different quest lines one of which just happens to be labeled "main" and has to do with dragons.

It has a lot of hype because it's a well made game in a very popular series with a large fan following. If you don't like it then too bad. And to be fairly honest I wasn't blown away either, there was a lot of stuff I didn't care for. But I did spend a good 50+ hours on it before getting bored, I had quite a few fun moments exploring and trying different things and just all around playing in the sandbox world.

I mean I didn't care for the dragons, the horse meh, I never enjoyed melee combat in any of the Elder Scrolls and a lot of the quest lines, especially the main quest, were shitty. So I didn't dwell on any of that. I went out and I rode my horse around or ran around exploring, finding different shit discovering random caves and labyrinths and demons and orc outposts, got turned into a vampire, killed a city, turned back, got cursed as a warewolf, took the curse off, got imprisoned, broke out of prison, etc.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-02-11 at 05:59 AM.

While I enjoyed Skyrim, I do agree that it was massively overhyped, and it isn't anything particularly new or innovative. It's a good RPG, but I wouldn't consider it a favorite of mine, or GOTY. They could have done a lot better with the sidequests (although some of them were really quite fun) in order to make it less repetitive, but hey, that's life. Bethesda games are pretty hit or miss with a lot of people, it seems. Skyrim definitely wasn't the second coming though, and I don't see why people see it as such, really. It's fun, but nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    That reminds me.... Why the heck does disarm make you drop your weapons? I know people who lost exceptionally valuable items just because they blended into the floor. It's uncommon, but still.

Skyrim, and TES in general, is a game/series that really requires you to see a bigger picture if you actually want to enjoy the game.
    Idk what's up with disarms. It's an Oblivion thing, and I guess they didn't think it was a good idea to get rid of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corysi View Post
    Btw, everyone not replying to the question asked in the title is asked to kindly leave or participate in the thread properly, those who haven't are getting reported. Thanks!
    Good luck with that.

Anyway, as for calling the side quests unimportant, I personally disagree. Having done the main quest and quite a few of the side quests, the only real difference between them and the main quest is that the main quest is dealing directly with dragons and the dragonborn. In terms of importance to the story, some of the side quests are just as important (the civil war questline comes to mind). Some of the side quests are nearly as long as the main quest, and involve as much traveling and doing different stuff than the main quest. The main quest is only about a fifth of the story, if it's even that much.

And, at the end of the day, whether or not something lives up to its hype is completely subjective. I've hated things that a lot of people love. I've loved things that a lot of people hate. Accept that TES isn't your game and find something different instead of spewing on the forums and getting angry at the majority of people who are happy with the game.

It reminds me of my ex who would cook chick 5 days a week, but it was cooked differently every night so it wasn't "eating chicken every night". It doesn't matter if it's a BBQ chicken wing or a lemon peppered breast, it's still the same SHIT.

If THIS is how you view everything in life, be it food or video games... then maybe your problem is yourself.

If Lemon Chicken and BBQ Chicken are the same, then you can just boil every type of food down to its nutrients and say its all the same. Is chicken only 10 grams of protein? NO. Lemon chicken doesn't taste like BBQ chicken.

It sounds to me like you are just some sort of bizarre video game hipster, where you see a game TONS of people like and have to point out random parts of it that you don't like to feel "unique" and "cool."

The reason why I personally enjoyed the game so much was because of the sheer amount of things you could do and you could play anyway you wanted...and it looks amazing. I had so much fun just messing around with enemies while hiding in the shadows with my bow. No to mention, if you want a challenge, turn up the difficulty to masters. the game is easily *10 times* harder than on normal until you get a really OP weapon. I have it on the 360, however, and I have no complaints with how it's handled, as far as that goes. Lastly, the main story is indeed a bit short, but there are plenty of other parts of the game that are just as in-depth. The game isn't exactly designed to be played like a linear game, it is at parts of course, but you can go and do whatever it is you feel like.

10+ Year Old Account
    beating skyrim is like beating minecraft, u can kill the last boss, but theres still a shit ton of stuff to do

qq less and go do it
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

The actual quests were nothing to write home about in Skyrim. I just enjoyed exploring the world and doing what I feel like instead of having the game hand hold me every step of the way.

For actual quests and story then yeah, it may be overrated but still enjoyable, at least to me.

TL : DR;

OP is bitter over his ex's nightly cooking and is taking it out on Skyrim. If you don't like what she cooked, just quit playing games and cook dinner yourself. Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Corysi View Post
    Btw, everyone not replying to the question asked in the title is asked to kindly leave or participate in the thread properly, those who haven't are getting reported. Thanks!
    Ya well guess what? There's a Skyrim megathread. I'm reporting you and this thread for not using it.
    ಠ_ಠ