[Premier League Football]: Suarez denying Evra's handshake.

Hey guys, i watched Manchester United - liverpool today (i'm a Manchester United fan) and i was disgusted with luis suarez not shaking evra's hand. I am from Holland and i support Feyenoord (Biggest Dutch club) and suarez played for ajax( Feyenoord's biggest rival) and he was already a disgusting player back when he played for ajax. He would scream at other players, making schwalbe's ( fall like a upset chicken) and he even bit a player in his neck!

Now i don't want to start a flame war or something, just want to hear your opinion about suarez denying evra's handshake. I am really disgusted of this sick player called suarez....
    Trollbane EU, Argent Dawn EU & Bladefist EU

Why did he not shake his hand?

Evra used to play for feyenoord?

and in britain we think ajax is the biggest dutch club.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    He didnt have to shake his hand, its not a written rule anywhere. id say its bad sportsmanship for not doing so. when im playing any kind of sports its always good to approach your opponent and wish them good luck. but ofc you dont have to..
    be friendly

Deleted
    Tho a pre-match line-up and shake happens at the start of every league game in England, After just being Banned for 8 games and protesting his innocence the whole time he didnt make a very good case for himself.
    Fergie called it right, the guy is a disgrace to liverpool FC
    Last edited by mmoc74412cf0ae; 2012-02-11 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Typo ^^

At the outset i'll make something blatantly obvious for the avoidance of doubt, i dislike Liverpool & Man Utd in equal measure and have no respect for either as i believe BOTH are perfectly capable on their day of bringing the game into disrepute - neither one is angelic by any stretch of the imagination & are both capable of squealing like pigs when something doesn't go for them.

There is no place in the rules of the game that i know of which state you must shake your opponents hand - it's widely accepted that good sportsmanship would dictate doing so, however it's not in the rulebook, far as i'm concerned it's then personal decision as to if you do so or not. Now i'm not accepting Suarez's protestations of innocence - not for a second, but consider if he WAS innocent (as he clearly believes to be true) then he believes Evra has lied about him causing him an 8 game suspension. I'm a fairly straightforward kind of guy, if someone lies about me then i lose all respect for that person and i don't care who you are or what position you hold, i will not shake your hand - that's reserved for people i'm on good terms with, if i shook that persons hand i would betray myself & it would be hypocritical of me to do so.

However there's TWO things at play here, the snub - then the reaction. Evra made a song & dance about it like a drama queen, now i'll accept he was racially abused by Suarez and sought to show he was the bigger man, however that symbolic action was made redundant by his reaction to Suarez not shaking his hand. He should have let it slide & said afterward "well, i tried, he wasn't interested" and then i'd have a much better view of him as i'd purely have seen the symbolic act and all the negativity would have been 100% on Suarez from me. Instead he chose to grab hold of him - now that's uncalled for, regardless of the past he should have accepted Suarez had no requirement to shake his hand & got on with it, make him suffer on the field & beat them. For an example of something i'll point you to video evidence

Now John Terry by anyone's understanding is not a good example of how to live life - but not a flinch, neither from Wayne Bridge, no need to draw attention to it, no amateur dramatics, just a simple act of "i'm not shaking your hand" and "that's fine by me". The world knows Bridge hates Terry, they don't need reminding of the fact they just get on with it.

Finally, we come to Sir Alex Ferguson. Now forgive me for being rather blunt - but he has no place commenting on if anyone should be playing for anyone other than Manchester United, he can say that someone is a disgrace i have no beef with that, but saying another club should get rid of a player is well outside his remit & should NOT be said. He was within his rights to express his opinion that he's a disgrace to the club (i wonder if he'd see Evra as disgusting for his petulent act) but to suggest anything for Liverpool shows disrespect, but again, it's not new territory for him he's done it before & will do it again.

TL-DR - Evra made a symbolic gesture then acted like a child when Suarez snubbed it, Suarez did exactly what he should have done on this occasion & ignored it.
    Last edited by koodledrum; 2012-02-11 at 05:43 PM.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Deleted
    Alex Ferguson should mind his own business. Handshaking is optional, not required. If a guy doesn't want to shake hands then so be it. You should however not be taunting opponents as Evra clearly did later on, that's not good sportsmanship.

And no i'm not a Liverpool supporter.

Can I just make a note that throughout the handshake between the two teams Evra had his arm stretched out shaking every one of the Liverpool players but as Suarez approached his hand is way down at his side until Suarez gets right to him and moves his hand slightly towards to gesture a handshake. At the moment that the handshake should have taken place Evras hand is down by his side and Suarez would have had reach right over to initiate a shake and that was never going to happen. Lets face the fact that people don't like each other and they shouldn't be forced too you should be able to not shake the hand of someone you dislike and it shouldn't be such an issue I certainly wouldn't do it in the situation and I'm surprised that Evra would willingly do it or that a handshake would mean anything between the two.

I Personally think that Suarez shouldn't have played today. He seemed overwhelmed by the fans and the occasion, scared to go into a challenge and pulled out of a few 50/50's which I have never seen him do. Clearly upset at half time and needing his friends and teammates around him at all times. He is our best player and will get it at every game. Today though just seemed like a day for 75k people to shout abuse & hateful chants at a professional footballer from warm up till he was down the tunnel there wasn't a letup for the player either from fans or Man U and was way worse than the sporadic booing of Evra last week and I feel sorry for him being thrown into that melting pot and surprised with KK's management style of putting the welfare of the players first, that he started.

Without Carrol providing a battling outlet against the center backs, Bellers providing an outlet behind their play and keeping Raphael pinned back in his own half and Downing playing like hes never kicked a ball before i don't think that the inclusion of Suarez could have made a difference to the final score and United deserved it on balance of play.

P.S. Would like to say Rooney & Valencia played exceptionally well and refused to get drawn into the handbags that were flying about all over the game so well done to them.

Well, you can say evra didn't have the intention to shake suarez' hand but we all know that that's not true. We have seen the video's of it and i am really convinced that suarez was the one not wanting to shake his hand. Secondly, suarez doesn't really have a good status concerning his behavior on the pitch. He has done a lot of unacceptable things back in Holland at ajax. And third, suarez has apologised (just because his manager said so imo) which means he was the one not wanting to shake hands.
    Trollbane EU, Argent Dawn EU & Bladefist EU

10+ Year Old Account
    There's one photo angle that gives Evra's hand the impression it's at a lower degree than the rest. Even so in that angle if Suarez wanted to shake Evra's hand he could have done, he didn't and he apologised for not doing so afterwards.

As for the fans, of course Suarez was going to get slaughtered, after everything that has gone down, and the actions coming from Liverpool the last few months, the attempts to villanise Evra off the pitch and abuse him on it, Suarez was going to walk into the most hostile crowd he's ever seen and rightly so. Put the shoe on the other foot, and imagine it was a Liverpool player being abused, and the other club had acted as Liverpool have throughout this entire process, even post the point where he was found guilty.

Then the first game he plays against you after suspension his club issues a public statement saying he's going to shake the player he abused's hand and move on, he then goes back on his word and causes unnecessary tension. He'd have the entire of Anfield booing and abusing him the full 90 minutes too.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

This guy is making a name for himself in all the wrong ways... I liked Suarez from last WC.. but his antics are becoming a bit much.
    He's basically running himself out of the league...