Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard Being Immature About Dota Claims.

As we all know, DotA started off as a mod within WC3's multiplayer. There's absolutely no doubt about that at all, whatsoever. None. None at all.
    However, once another company decides to take claim to the name "DotA" (VALVe), Blizzard throws a fit like a little kid. Additionally, we all know Angel Arena would have become the supreme champion of WC3 mods if DotA had not come around (which in my opinion, AA was much more interesting than DotA).

Let's take a recap on this: DotA was NEVER recognized by Blizzard until recently. Blizzard never gave a single care for IceFrogs collaboration until now. This meaning until Blizzard realized they could make money off of it in their own way without giving ANY credit to IceFrog himself. For some reason they believe that because the mod was created in one of their games that they should automatically assume all rights to the DotA name and game style of the mod. Which is stupid and wrong. The mod could have been put in any other RTS, but it so happened to have been put in WC3 at the time because of its' popularity.

Because of DotA there have been many spin-offs of the mod such as HoN, LoL, and ofc DotA (as made by VALVe). Now that VALVe finally has worked with IceFrog collaboratively and take claim to the name DotA, Blizzard throws a hissy fit. Doesn't that sound pretty stupid to you since Blizzard isn't working with the original mod maker in the first place?

IMHO VALVe can and should assume all rights to DotA and Blizzard should "F" off. This would do great justice to IceFrog's work, as well as show the world how much Blizzard has become children.

Is it that hard to read the front page?

The thing that got me almost giggling, was in their legal document in which they claimed that Valve registering DOTA would inflict "injury" on Blizzard's reputation.

I was like uhh.....played TF2 / HL2? Valve probably would be doing them a favor.

Blizzard isn't trying to trademark it, the only way they could make money off of it now other than the Blizzard Dota game they're developing now (which likely still wouldn't trademark Dota itself). Valve is.

Anyway:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Over-DOTA-Name

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...5#post15433295

Go discuss in one of those.

Blizzard was content to reap the benefits of Icefrogs free labor for several years,
    Now that the cash cow has gone to another farm, they cry foul.

However, this is typical of any big business practice.

Im cheering for Valve in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezymcgee View Post
    Blizzard was content to reap the benefits of Icefrogs free labor for several years,

What benefits did they reap besides people buying WC3 to play DotA?....

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    However, once another company decides to take claim to the name "DotA" (VALVe), Blizzard throws a fit like a little kid. Additionally, we all know Angel Arena would have become the supreme champion of WC3 mods if DotA had not come around (which in my opinion, AA was much more interesting than DotA)..
    I would be kinda pissed too if I was Blizzard. That name refers to their game, not Vavle's. I don't think Valve had any right to decide to make their own game and call it DoTA2

Blizzard are not trying to make money off the name, but prevent Valve from doing so.
    You could equally argue that Valve did not care about the name until DOTA 2, when they realised they had an opportunity to grab it for themselves.
    While you could equally argue about who had what contribution directly to the genre, the fact here is that blizzard are not trying to claim the name as their product, while Valve are.

Yeah this is actually an issue where Blizzard is standing up and saying "No, you can't have that everyone else should be able to use it too!" Blizzard isnt trying to take the name for themselves, they think is selfish of Valve for taking the name and going "It's ours and you can't have it!"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    As we all know, DotA started off as a mod within WC3's multiplayer. There's absolutely no doubt about that at all, whatsoever. None. None at all.
    However, once another company decides to take claim to the name "DotA" (VALVe), Blizzard throws a fit like a little kid. Additionally, we all know Angel Arena would have become the supreme champion of WC3 mods if DotA had not come around (which in my opinion, AA was much more interesting than DotA).

Let's take a recap on this: DotA was NEVER recognized by Blizzard until recently. Blizzard never gave a single care for IceFrogs collaboration until now. This meaning until Blizzard realized they could make money off of it in their own way without giving ANY credit to IceFrog himself. For some reason they believe that because the mod was created in one of their games that they should automatically assume all rights to the DotA name and game style of the mod. Which is stupid and wrong. The mod could have been put in any other RTS, but it so happened to have been put in WC3 at the time because of its' popularity.

Because of DotA there have been many spin-offs of the mod such as HoN, LoL, and ofc DotA (as made by VALVe). Now that VALVe finally has worked with IceFrog collaboratively and take claim to the name DotA, Blizzard throws a hissy fit. Doesn't that sound pretty stupid to you since Blizzard isn't working with the original mod maker in the first place?

IMHO VALVe can and should assume all rights to DotA and Blizzard should "F" off. This would do great justice to IceFrog's work, as well as show the world how much Blizzard has become children.
    Dota created through world editor. World editor is a mod through warcraft. Warcraft is blizzards property.
    They also stated that it's against the eula or whatever in the world editor.
    Besides, that's really stupid of valve to take dota as their own. It's a warcraft custom game, that's apart of warcraft thats owned by blizzard.
    I don't see how they are throwing a fit.

It's like valve stole your car, and claimed it as theirs because they saw your car in your front yard empty. When you know it's your car but it's just not in your driveway for any reason. You also have the pink slip to your car in your house, you just don't wave it around for the world to see.
    -Casual Dad Gamer

It's just like what happened to Bethesda and Mojang. They might not give a rats fuck about the word Scrolls, but they have to defend the copyrighting of it, since they used it in one of their games. They're not wrong, you know.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrashnar View Post
    As far as I understood it. Blizzard is more than happy for Valve to have the name & use it, without having to pay Blizzard anything. Its when Valve got arrogant and decided to copyright it that Blizzard stepped in and was like "woah woah woah there young padawan, everyones, dota is".
    Sorry to ruin your image of Blizzard, but it's a tad worse. I'll re-post what I posted in the other topic.

Quoting a reddit post.

If you read their opposition to Valve it states all ownership of dota-allstars LLC has been transferred to Blizzard from Guinsoo & Pendragon.
    In essence if Blizzard successfully opposes Valve's trademark claim, they will in turn receive it for themselves. The reality of the situation is it's just a calculated business move to try to stop a competitor from using the Dota name.
    I'm tired of all the crap that someone is trying to 'protect' the community. The Dota name is money and Blizzard along with other parties involved aren't going to part with it if they can manage. It's not about the best interest of the community. If you don't believe a sequel to Dota being made by Valve and potentially seeing TF2 like growth isn't what's best for the genre I don't know what to say. Competitors sure wouldn't like it though
    Have a look, see for yourselves if what you thought was right.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/commen...claim_on_dota/

lol yea, OP totally had it the other way around. It is Valve trying to copyright the name (hence won't let anyone else use it), Blizzard is trying to stop that; Blizzard doesn't care if anyone else is using it for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezymcgee View Post

Funny considering Icefrog wouldn't even have his current job if it weren't for Blizzard......

Quote Originally Posted by Seolla View Post
    lol yea, OP totally had it the other way around. It is Valve trying to copyright the name (hence won't let anyone else use it), Blizzard is trying to stop that; Blizzard doesn't care if anyone else is using it for free.
    They currently have a trademark for DOTA pending through the acquired dota-allstars LLC trademark. In other words, if Valve's request fails, Blizzard will most likely receive the Dota trademark. That, I hope you can agree with me on, is the worst possible situation considering the current employment of both the original map creator and the current lead developer of Dota with Valve.

If Valve gets the dota name, they can sue Blizzard for releasing SC2 dota under the dota name.
    Doesn't that sound pretty stupid to you since Valve isn't working with the ones who own the rights to the original map in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrafros View Post
    They currently have a trademark for DOTA pending through the acquired dota-allstars LLC trademark. In other words, if Valve's request fails, Blizzard will most likely receive the Dota trademark. That, I hope you can agree with me on, is the worst possible situation considering the current employment of both the original map creator and the current lead developer of Dota with Valve.
    Aren't Pendragon and Guinsoo still involved with Dota-Allstars?

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Aren't Pendragon and Guinsoo still involved with Dota-Allstars?
    They handed the trademark to Blizzard because(speculation ensues) Blizzard has better lawyers. It'd be a better case for Blizzard because they can also make use of the original mod using WC3 as an argument for opposition. It's all just business, and Blizzard wants the Dota trademark just as much as Valve, just for different reasons and with different motivations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    If Valve gets the dota name, they can sue Blizzard for releasing SC2 dota under the dota name.
    Doesn't that sound pretty stupid to you since Valve isn't working with the ones who own the rights to the original map in the first place?
    Incorrect.

The creator of the original Dota, Eul, is currently employed with Valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrashnar View Post
    So before Valve tryed to copyright the name, Blizzard was happy to let everyone use it. Now Valve has tryed to copyright it Blizzard will refuse to let everyone use it? Seriously? Who ever wrote that article left logic at the door when they went inside their house that day.
    Blizzard wants to release their new mod, Blizzard DOTA, in a much lesser capacity.

In essence, this is how I see Blizzard's plan for Blizzard DOTA.

Playable for free using the SC2 starter edition, but requires the actual starter edition.
    Those who play it, may find themselves wanting to try other mods, SC2 itself.
    This results in more purchases of SC2 and future expansions.

The monetary gain is lesser than a full game, but it's still monetary gain. If they lose the ability to add Dota to Blizzard Dota, they will lose the impact required to attract people who recognize the Dota name to their new mod.
    Last edited by Terrafros; 2012-02-12 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrafros View Post
    They handed the trademark to Blizzard because(speculation ensues) Blizzard has better lawyers. It'd be a better case for Blizzard because they can also make use of the original mod using WC3 as an argument for opposition. It's all just business, and Blizzard wants the Dota trademark just as much as Valve, just for different reasons and with different motivations.

Incorrect.

The creator of the original Dota, Eul, is currently employed with Valve.
    I believe they filed their own counter-claim, separate from Blizzard's. Source is an interview I can't find... And maybe I'm incorrect. Wasn't aware of Dota-Allstars being controlled by Blizzard. They also stated (in the same interview) that if they had the trademark themselves, they'd keep it free to use.

EDIT: Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/08/17/ri...ota-trademark/ It's old, from about 5 months ago, so it's possible something has changed, but I think there's definitely multiple counterclaims or something not stated.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-02-12 at 06:38 AM.

I don't really see a problem with Valve trying to trademark the name of their game. Blizzard had the opportunity to do so when the original DotA was relevant and they chose not to. And I have to agree with the quote the person above me included:

If you read their opposition to Valve it states all ownership of dota-allstars LLC has been transferred to Blizzard from Guinsoo & Pendragon.
    In essence if Blizzard successfully opposes Valve's trademark claim, they will in turn receive it for themselves. The reality of the situation is it's just a calculated business move to try to stop a competitor from using the Dota name.
    I'm tired of all the crap that someone is trying to 'protect' the community. The Dota name is money and Blizzard along with other parties involved aren't going to part with it if they can manage. It's not about the best interest of the community. If you don't believe a sequel to Dota being made by Valve and potentially seeing TF2 like growth isn't what's best for the genre I don't know what to say. Competitors sure wouldn't like it though
    Why would Blizzard be so opposed to Valve trademarking Dota if they were not going to benefit from it in some way? I don't buy the whole "it's for the community" deal. Nobody throws huge legal fits over things community affairs.