Playing LOTRO, anybody else??

Hey, i haven't seen alot about LOTRO on these forums, and i wanted to know if anybody else is playing it

If you are, i'm Illugum on Brandywine!

And here is a question for anybody playing LOTRO, what makes this game stand apart from every other mmorpg? For me it has to be the story and the epic quest lines My favorite moment in this game is still doing the Epic Weathertop Was so much fun.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Deleted
    People still play this?

Yes, it got a big boost from F2P and hasn't really lost steam. It's a good game but it's plagued by a few issues: terrible UI, not great combat, not very pretty outside of landscapes.

It's actually a great game, I just wish instead of a new expansion they would try to bring it up to date on a few things. I would instantly be back if the UI and combat wasnt so bad

Deleted
    I actually quite liked the game when I tried it, but it's a good deal more demanding than what WoW is these days in terms of both the effort/time to level, and the difficulty (or rather, when I played it I wasn't even aware if there were any addons or not, and the UI was a bit weird). I never tried the raiding in the game as I only played it on a trial, but I imagine it was good and i'll admit that the gear in the game seems very impressive indeed (it at least seemed 'epic' as opposed to WoW freebies).

A decent game and as the Hailey poster says, they might make it better but I can't really see myself playing it again as WoW suits my casual tendencies better.

I have been playing LOTRO off and on since my 3 month break from WoW at the end of BC. My Hunter just made level 60 last week and is just about ready to leave Moria. I don't do any of the raids in it but the skirmishes are fun and not that easy sometimes. Leveling takes a lot longer than in WoW and I like that since questing and leveling are my favorite parts of a game. I don't think the UI is terrible. What I miss are the addons but there are a few I can use that consolidate all my travel skills in one place and another that randomizes my mounts. I'm on the Gladden server and my Elf Hunter is named Malaghan Swiftarrow. I also have a Man Loremaster named Baraghan and a Hobbit Burglar called Trilbo. That means he's one better than Bilbo. :-)

LOTRO has some elements that WoW has since adopted. They had Cosmetic outfits way before transmogging hit the WoW scene and in LOTRO you can wear whatever you want without any extra costs and without restriction as to armor type. If you like the look of something, you can cosmetically wear it while retaining the stats of your real current gear. They also had phasing long before WoW and the in game voice chat actually works and isn't bad at all. It's a more serious minded game with none of the pop culture references and humor you see in WoW. It stays more true to the Lore, especially in the epic questlines that even the free players get to do. It is not a bad game at all in my opinion but does require a slightly better hardware setup to play fluently. I can play it on my old laptop from 2005 but not very well. It struggles.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Deleted
    Played it religiously at launch way back when so I have lots of fond nostalgic memories of those times. Maybe I should give the game a try now, betting it's changed alot over the expansions.

I actually really enjoyed my time with LoTRO. If I had a guild to go back to might start playing again.

I liked a lot of LotRO. A couple things turned me off from it though, the character models and the combat. But it has some fantastic visuals and great atmosphere.

The Shire is still my favorite area of any mmo that I have played.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2012-02-13 at 09:13 PM.

The only thing wrong with LOTRO for me is that the animations of things other than your own character are not as good as in WoW. The enemies sometimes move jerkily and not that realistically. The player character animations are okay. Some of the environments in LOTRO are breathtaking, especially if you get the high res version of the game. The Mines of Moria expansion was highly deserving of it's title of expansion of the year when it came out. The Rise of Isengard has now won that same title for 2011.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    The only thing wrong with LOTRO for me is that the animations of things other than your own character are not as good as in WoW. The enemies sometimes move jerkily and not that realistically. The player character animations are okay. Some of the environments in LOTRO are breathtaking, especially if you get the high res version of the game. The Mines of Moria expansion was highly deserving of it's title of expansion of the year when it came out. The Rise of Isengard has now won that same title for 2011.
    I actually haven't gotten to Moria yet but i seriously cannot wait to see it

Strangely enough, I couldn't stand Moria. That's when I quit the game pretty much.

WoW I have thoroughly enjoyed Moria. I thought all the areas in there were epic. I have Mirkwood and Isengard too but haven't seen them yet. They have a high bar to reach if they're gonna beat Moria in my book.

Deleted
    What's the player base like? are there plenty of people around or is the game a ghost town?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    Yes, it got a big boost from F2P and hasn't really lost steam. It's a good game but it's plagued by a few issues: terrible UI, not great combat, not very pretty outside of landscapes.

It's actually a great game, I just wish instead of a new expansion they would try to bring it up to date on a few things. I would instantly be back if the UI and combat wasnt so bad
    Pretty much this, some of the animations were a big off put for me, I did manage to hit around level 60 about a year ago, it just wasn't very.. friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sithiwa View Post
    What's the player base like? are there plenty of people around or is the game a ghost town?
    My server, Gladden is not one of the higher population ones but I see people running around in every zone I go to now. This wasn't the case before they started the F2P model and it seems that many free players are going paid after getting a taste. It was getting to be like a ghost town before F2P but there has been a very noticeable resurgence. According to reports, the player base is at least as large as SWTOR's at this time.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played pretty rigorously for a month or so, but it isn't the same playing a game when none of my friends are. I did enjoy it thoroughly though.