Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by albedo View Post
    It is mainly maths but nothing changes.
    Arena.net didn't consider the many complaints after the 2 betas. Engineer remains a hazardous gadget profession, you can only play it seriously with a gun/shield build.
    What a strong disappointment.
    Yea I'm really disappointed they haven't done anything but number tweaks after submitting feedback on the last 3 BWE. They haven't even done the number tweaks right. Mines will still be useless avoidable crap. The mines need to be a threat to do there job. People won't care if they remove a boon or two.

I'm also very unhappy they took away Pistols AoE bleed. Its a condition weapon why weaken its best aspect.

Probably not gonna play an engineer if the class isn't re-designed totally by release.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Probably not gonna play an engineer if the class isn't re-designed totally by release.
    Thats probably the best you can do along with giving feedback. If Arenanet sees a very low population on a certain profession itll send a pretty clear signal that, that profession is not fun.

And honestly, i like the concept behind the Engineer. But all the problems are just really turning me off from playing it.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be surprised if they aren't doing more before BWE3. I wouldn't take those notes as a confirmation that is the only tweaks we'll see. Would be silly to.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Thats probably the best you can do along with giving feedback. If Arenanet sees a very low population on a certain profession itll send a pretty clear signal that, that profession is not fun.

And honestly, i like the concept behind the Engineer. But all the problems are just really turning me off from playing it.
    They might fall into being the GW2 equivalent of Ranger and Paragon; the two most despised classes of the original.

I said it before a few times; Anet make fun games, but they are not the most solid of designers. My hopes for an Engineer re-work are not too high.

Willing to be surprised though. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    I'd be surprised if they aren't doing more before BWE3. I wouldn't take those notes as a confirmation that is the only tweaks we'll see. Would be silly to.
    Well these notes might be fake for all we know, but if they arent do you think it would make sense? First yuo do the overhaul, the big work. And if thats holding up good, then you get to doing the fine tuning. These are already the fine tuning tweaks, so id be kinda suprised if they come up with the sweeping changes that are needed after theyve done the tweaks or along with the tweaks.

The most disappointing thing : they didn't understood we were complaining about gameplay. We don't care about buffing/class balance right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently they have done a major pass on Engineer traits (if they did on skills, we don't know), and that it's "ready to ship".

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Apparently they have done a major pass on Engineer traits (if they did on skills, we don't know), and that it's "ready to ship".
    Maybe they were fixed up in the internal beta test and the changes didn't make it for BWE 2. I guess BWE 3 will tell.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Deleted
    Thing is while ENG's traits did require some work, they were last on the list of things in dire need of changing. Engineer needs total overhaul as a profession. At first glance it may appear that it's "not so bad", but after playing other classes pass 30lvl and PvP I can honestly say ENG's mechanics look like drawn on a tissue during lunch :/.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes if the leaked discussion were from 25/6 there must have been some major changes on internal testing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're willing to take them at their word for tiered traits (snicker), I'm surprised you're not willing to take them at their word in the belief that Engineer design is fine, and may simply have a high threshold of skill.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

We've seen the leaked patch notes for Engineer, with a lot of trait changes. But the problem isnt just the traits, and not nearly all the problems can be fixed with traits. It takes some changes at the very core of the class, the very fundamentals upon which the Engineer is build. A trait doesnt fix that, if they even attempted to fix such basic issues with traits all you get is being forced into certain traits just to close to gap to baseline <any other class>.

And weapons needed a pass aswell. Last time we still didnt have a long range weapon, Rifle was still gimped, the whole direct-damage was messed up, the harpoon gun has zero condition damage. To few weapons for the wide variety of combat GW2 offers.

A Warrior doesnt have all those weapons just for giggles, he has them so he can fill all the wide range of roles and playstyles. And all those playstyles are cramped into 3 possible weapon combinations for the Engineer. Which leads to near hilarious situations where the Rifle is both a long-range weapon AND essentially a melee weapon. Where it has tools to widen a gap like a long-range weapon and close the gap like a melee weapon. All the while it sucks at both roles.

The problem wasn't traits or skill #s. That was stuff easy to fix and adjust, transitory. Engineer "sucked" because the design was neither cohesive or effective. Paragon 2.0 basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The problem wasn't traits or skill #s. That was stuff easy to fix and adjust, transitory. Engineer "sucked" because the design was neither cohesive or effective. Paragon 2.0 basically.
    Well i wouldnt know about paragon i never played GW1 that much, but yah thats pretty much the TL;DR of the Engineer.

So, of all classes the Engineer is the least of my to-do list. I dont really like the theme, and the only race I see me doing one is Charr which is my least favorite. But thats just personal preferences, but I did play 1 Engineer up to level 8, and while I think it was ok, I thought it was "meh".

One of the hooks for me for the Engineer (as in any game that has it, or something similar) is that provides a more tactical approach of playing, doing turrets, mines and explosion stuff. While I think there was the potential I just didnt feel the class too much at level 8 (might be the level). And being honest I'm completely surprised to see here that its the class that looks most finished? I think there is something nice missing on it, the "Oh My" factor. Is anyone else there with me?

Note: To be honest in my play the only time I EVER noticed a engineer on my team (mostly in pvp, but in pve too) was when I saw the healing turret near me. And it goes the same for the opposite team as well. It would often come as a surprised that the guy I just killed (looking at the side of the screen) was in fact an Engineer. The only cool thing is the backup they can have XD, but that isnt helping anyone haha.

Anyone feel me on this one too?

Note2: On a "insert number here" thought. I was expecting the engineer to be the closest class in support next to the guardian. I cant say for sure that it is or it isnt but I never really played much nor felt their presence in a team. I think they could dig deeper in the Alchemist/herbalist aspect of it to make them supportive (more) focused (thus making a fine "competition" to the guardian class) while having some builds of offensive blow stuff up support, or simple attacks thru gunpowder (firearms).

Anyways, just a quick brainstorm.

a really well played engineer is pain!

such a good class but with a high skill cap

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    So, of all classes the Engineer is the least of my to-do list. I dont really like the theme, and the only race I see me doing one is Charr which is my least favorite. But thats just personal preferences, but I did play 1 Engineer up to level 8, and while I think it was ok, I thought it was "meh".
    Engineer is very limited and dull in lower levels. Because you only have 2 weapons to use and the rest of your combat variation comes from Kits. Which are locked in tiers, for example you likely wont see Elixir gun untill you are ~lv20. And if you want your weapon swap in combat, your first unlocked utility slot is already gone for a kit. Or, you get a real utility skill but then you only got your main weapon.
    And to top it off, your class mechanic (toolbelt) takes upto lv25 before its completely unlocked, when you get the third utility slot unlocked.

It was already a profession that was really restricted at low level, and the tiered utility skills change only made it much worst. It doesnt start to get rolling untill lv20 or so. Up untill then i felt my Engineer was lacking compared to my elementalist, ranger or warrior (those were my only alts).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    for example you likely wont see Elixir gun untill you are ~lv20.
    false

you can unlock the tiered skills faster by grabbing more skillpoints
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    false

you can unlock the tiered skills faster by grabbing more skillpoints
    Sure if you go off the regular progression to other starting zones. So either you have to wait till ~lv20-21 before you get it, or you have to invest that time running other races starting zones for skill challenges there to get it slightly sooner. And thats just the first tier 3 kit, there are two in there.

Either way, its dumb.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-06-30 at 01:04 PM.