Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordrek View Post
    It's a myth that they are any more competent than anyone else. However, many Asian cultures are heavily stratified and encourage striving for a higher social position. I think this carries over into their gaming, so they give you opportunity to "strive" by raising the bar if you want to jump that hurdle. By comparison, most Western gamers just want to jump in and blow a few hours, not necessarily prove they are better than the Jones'.
    Do Asian cultures strive for a higher social position though? The East is commonly associated with collectivist societies, whereas the West focuses on individualists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    This guy is Asian, I'm dead serious.

It seems stereotypes have some truth to them lol.
    He has an advantage because he is r/l Ninja.... JK! Don't QQ.
    Survival is Key

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    Do Asian cultures strive for a higher social position though? The East is commonly associated with collectivist societies, whereas the West focuses on individualists.
    Have you ever been to eastern europe...

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    It has nothing to do with race, ethnicity or even location... It's to do with culture.
    This, and the rest of his post. Just to reiterate, when expectations are higher, results will be higher as well.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

I only have two words for you JEREMY LIN!!!

I never thought it had ANYthing to do with the apparent Korean monopoly on SC dominance (or any other PvP type gaming).

I thought it was in regards to Asian families (in the East and the West) placing a massive, possibly unreasonably high expectation on their children's academic performance. East Asian test scores put American scores to complete shame in the lower levels (I can't speak for Europeans). It's been that way for years. Not simply in academics, either, but in a variety of areas - while this isn't an attitude they all live by, a significant portion of the population does. Exam seasons over there can see a sharp rise in suicide rates.

There is a distinct impression of out-do or die. A higher level of discipline is expected in many areas of life, placing more responsibility on the individual to succeed rather than lowering the standard to improve success rates. Well, I can't actually say whether that's true, but it's the impression I get. They seem to be more aware of what's required to grind certain kinds of information into kids heads (mind numbing repetition of basics...), and while it's not exactly popular, it works, and some families still enforce that kind of training.

There are schools kids go to after getting out of school in some countries. That sort of says something about some cultures' dedication to not slacking off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Have you ever been to eastern europe...
    I should clarify that when I say "East," I primarily mean Asia.

This is why that stereotype exists.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

If you know the Korean Starcraft pro-gaming scene, for example (just check out sites like teamliquid.net, and all the videos...), you know that competitive computer gaming is being viewed and treated as a real sport over there (with lots of tournaments, viewers, dedicated TV channels, prize money, fame, ...), and the players are posing for magazine covers and give public interviews like real sport stars do. They also have to do quite a bit of sports as well to maintain their health.

Anyway, this is vastly different to our culture where competitive computer gamers are seen as socially awkward nerds, as something which one should avoid being at all costs. No way in hell would we publicly praise really skilled computer gamers. We're much more likely to make fun of them instead, or at least think that what they're doing is somehow inferior in its value to pretty much everything else, ignoring that the same applies to "real" sports stars as well.

Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I believe it comes from the fact that the Korean Starcraft circuit has a near-monopoly on superhuman APM.
    this, i play some sc2 but i watch tons of it, steams, tournaments i love watching it. and South Koreans are so amazing it is insane, people who are considered foreigners are non- koreans in the starcraft scene.

its just a stereotype like most others, and hell its kinda awesome. my stereotype is being rich :/... oh wait thats just as badass lol.

love my stereotype muahahha
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

Culture, Professional SC players in Korea and personal experience.

I don't see to much of a problem with this though. There are worse stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    possibly unreasonably high expectation on their children's academic performance.
    Really not unreasonable - job market is tough over there.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-02-14 at 08:54 PM.

if by asian you mean korean id say its a stereotype thats got a significant element of truth. its a cultural thing, nothing to do with "race."

10+ Year Old Account
    it's because they can't shame famiry

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    if by asian you mean korean id say its a stereotype thats got a significant element of truth. its a cultural thing, nothing to do with "race."
    Wouldn't put it like that...gaming is also quite big in China or Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    indeed, watching those guys play is insane, how can they do it that fast, their fingers are like lightning on the keyboards.
    They play it everyday for hours on end. That is how.

Stereotypes are dumb. But it doesn't stop the fact that a majority of skilled players (in certain games) are Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Wouldn't put it like that...gaming is also quite big in China or Taiwan.
    yeah but i personally havent heard them associated with "hardcore" gaming nearly as much.. more gold farmers/ casuals.

Deleted
    As far as the SC and SC2 scene goes, the Koreans dominate because it's a real sport over there. As far as I know, pro koreans train 8-10 hours a day, every god damn day. A lot of those pros are boys from poor families that wanted to make a good living and support their family.

I saw an interview with a bunch of the best SC-players once, and they all replied "money" when asked why they came in to the pro-scene. It's not all fun and games over there.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    yeah but i personally havent heard them associated with "hardcore" gaming nearly as much.. more gold farmers/ casuals.
    Their communities are just not as known in the us. Just take their Warcraft 3 players though for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketfan99 View Post
    As far as the SC and SC2 scene goes, the Koreans dominate because it's a real sport over there. As far as I know, pro koreans train 8-10 hours a day, every god damn day. A lot of those pros are boys from poor families that wanted to make a good living and support their family.

I saw an interview with a bunch of the best SC-players once, and they all replied "money" when asked why they came in to the pro-scene. It's not all fun and games over there.
    Well knowing that there is someone with a 400k contract surely is motivating.