HC Warmaster's Twilight Barrage : Damage not constant

Did anyone else notice the damage from Twilight Barrage on Blackhorn HC was always different?

Looking at logs, I found some of them hitting for 180k + after resistances and some hitting for 130k or so.

Both being solo soaked and at 0 debuffs from previous barrages.

Is there anything I am missing there, or is it just not always doing the same damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

You might be getting too far away from a totem or similar type effect. Paladin auras and the totem glyph are both 100yds I believe, so it could be that. Priest bubbles and similar effects can also play a part in damage mitigation, as well as personal cooldowns. Do you have logs that we can see? Maybe what you're saying is true, that the base damage done isn't consistent, but logs will show better.

Cheers.

Could be getting unlucky with resistances, our warlock is usually able to solo eat one with the health split talent(name escapes me) but he occasionally gets gibbed as well.

A holy paladin with glyphed Divine Protection and a resistance aura can easily solo one every 30 seconds. you will have around 25% HP to spare.

The whole fight is pretty weird, we get several bugs on that fight and inconsistancies. Just keep trying it was by far our hardest kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats because i did not use primal strikes and far sight

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/pvblo...nko/details/5/

Looking at Daahlia's last death, she took a 161 873 hit from a twilight barrage. She did not have any stack at that time. (79 800 resisted)(24 327 overkill)
    (161 873+79 800+24 327 = 266 000)

Actually, it looks like the resistances are being the odd part here.

Lyrrim's 8th death. (166 679D+46 121O+53 200R) for the same 166 000 damage

SInce it's shadow damage and we use the priest buff, the resist part should be the same. (Both are not Draenai). But it's not.
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Resistance isn't just flat damage reduction. It varies, I believe in 10% increments (I.E you can only resist 10%, 20%, or so on). One of those is a 20% resist, one is a 30% resist. It tends towards your average resist, but it doesn't just reduce damage by whatever your average resist is.
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2012-02-16 at 06:31 AM.

Deleted
    They didn't have same resistance, your druid used this elixir:
    [22:02:34.560] Lyrrim's Prismatic Elixir fades from Lyrrim
    edit: nvmd,mage used it too.

But resistance is not always the same, there is a little random factor in it at how much you are gonna resist. Dont have the numbers here, but there are certain resistance threshold at which you will *always* at least resist a certain number (like 20%). But that doesnt mean that you can't also resist 30% or 40% with the same resistance. You won't resist like 60%, but whether 20,30 or 40%, it's just probabilities.
    Last edited by mmoc09207c29b6; 2012-02-16 at 09:05 AM.

Deleted
    with priest buff you should have ~25% average resist to shadow damage. This is average, not guaranteed. In reality its equal chances of resisting 20% and 30%, little chances of resisting 10% and 40% and you never resist 0% or 50%.
    Think if you go above 30% average, you'll get the 10% resists out of the table, i.e. 20% will be your guaranteed lowest resist.

Deleted
    actualy with any ammount of resistance you will have a small chance to "fully resist" and this hidden fully resist modifier is why as your resistance number doubles the % is not doubled as each point of resistance alos ups your total resist chance so each point provides less to average as it provides more to total and as total isn't counted as 100%( for working out the avg your char page shows ) as more goes to fully resist less goes to partial. higher resitance values give larger fully and less average as it goes up.

also remember your working with the resisance of an enemy your own level on your char page isntead of the level of the thing showing yo which is 3 levels higher so your actual resistance avg is lower as well as your total resist chance being lower.

Quote Originally Posted by tasi View Post
    They didn't have same resistance, your druid used this elixir:

edit: nvmd,mage used it too.

But resistance is not always the same, there is a little random factor in it at how much you are gonna resist. Dont have the numbers here, but there are certain resistance threshold at which you will *always* at least resist a certain number (like 20%). But that doesnt mean that you can't also resist 30% or 40% with the same resistance. You won't resist like 60%, but whether 20,30 or 40%, it's just probabilities.
    All right, thanks alot. This is what i was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    The whole fight is pretty weird, we get several bugs on that fight and inconsistancies. Just keep trying it was by far our hardest kill.
    According to a GM people dying before the fight started by an invisible mob was really because we weren't picking the adds up apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    According to a GM people dying before the fight started by an invisible mob was really because we weren't picking the adds up apparently.
    No real surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    No real surprise there.
    That's why GM's are fn stupid and have no idea what they are talking about. Had that happen to us a ton pre nerf, was so annoying wiping to nothing. DS is awful.

The invisible add glitch only happens if your ranged DPS accidentally DoT up Blackhorn instead of Goriona at the start of the fight.

Deleted
    Noticed the same thing. It's because magic resistance is not a flat damage reduction. When I solo soak, I sometimes get unlucky and die, even as a SP (even if I pre-shield, when Dispersion is not up).

Deleted
    Still be glad that resistance got changed to RNG of 10% increments compared to the 25% increments it used to be. It's still RNGish but a lot less annoyingly so.

With that said if you don't have a CD or shield of some sort don't solo soak a barrage. Even with a 20% CD you might still die if resistance gets unlucky.