Marauder - leveling 30+ and companions

So far i leveled sorcerer in healing spec and tank companion and it really was easy, easy to kill elites, strong ones and others. Might be a bit faster with dps spec and tank companion, but i enjoyed it this way. Just shield and hot the tank and dps in the meantime or just use force storm if lot of weak targets are there. I did PVE leveling only. no FPs, no pvp.

But marauder is completely different:

First, a zilion abilities need to be used to kill elite of same level along with every defensive CD + med pack. Mostly when atacking elite i end up almost on 1% HP or just dead. That is with Jaenna melee dps companion. both are geared in latest greens/blues/oranges.
    I tried killing elite with that hairy tank Bromark, but tank is killed before i get elite to 40-50% and then im nuked or end up at 1%.
    ranged tank companion is worst of all, too squishy imo.
    Ppl say malavi quin is best since he is healing you and dps sometimes, but he is not very cool companion- rather dull.
    Jaenna is my favourite companion, but we both still dont have dps to kill elite, esp if we dont have charge advantage.
    So, whats the problem - is it my bad play or is just marauder to squishy dmg taken and dps wise?
    Any other comment?

Deleted
    Speaking with a friend who levelled as a marauder (i'm playing a juggernaut) he told me Malavai is the only option for a Marauder who wants to level adequately. it is possible with the other companions, but you'll suffer much more, just as what you described.

I'd say just play the way you want to play. At the moment the game does not have any recount to tell you that your dps is bad, and there is no medal for whoever reaches 50 first. So if you enjoy levelling with Jaessa, then take it slow and know that it will be more difficult and make it part of the experience.

It's true that sorcerers have it easy for levelling. Another friend of mine was bragging that he was taking on H2+ by himself, and soloed champions..

Marauder is very squishy. For most elites while you're leveling, you probably want to be using Saber Ward (obviously you should be using Cloak of Pain on cooldown as well). I'd really recommend taking Quinn whenever you can, and especially when fighting elites. Having a geared healer makes leveling much easier. Both tanks that the Warrior gets are next to useless, however the DPS companions can work if you really work on gearing them (with blues/oranges/purples etc). Using Quinn is just the easiest choice when it comes to improving solo survivability.

Another alternative may be to spec Annihilation if you haven't already, its passive healing is quite significant, plus it heals your companion as well.

Marauders are more difficult to level, but you will hear every single one say "it gets easier when you get your healing companion", do not level with anything but him, he is what makes leveling a lot easier. as for everything else, I had no problem leveling, I would say go the spec with burns, keep them up, use your CD whenever possible that causes your burns to crit, for bigger heals, always always use your short shield CD, use the other one if there are big force abilities being cast, never forget to use the spell that causes them to miss for 6 seconds, as well as the spell that makes you lose 50% of your current hp, then pop a medpac right after.

and remember for boss fights, they always seem hard but remember to run back, charge interrupt, and interrupt spells

Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Marauders are more difficult to level, but you will hear every single one say "it gets easier when you get your healing companion", do not level with anything but him, he is what makes leveling a lot easier. as for everything else, I had no problem leveling, I would say go the spec with burns, keep them up, use your CD whenever possible that causes your burns to crit, for bigger heals, always always use your short shield CD, use the other one if there are big force abilities being cast, never forget to use the spell that causes them to miss for 6 seconds, as well as the spell that makes you lose 50% of your current hp, then pop a medpac right after.

and remember for boss fights, they always seem hard but remember to run back, charge interrupt, and interrupt spells
    I agree, timing interrupts is definitely a key skill to have/use when fighting stronger mobs. However, I disagree with Malavai being the only viable companion for a Marauder. At the later levels, I actually found Broonmark in a DPS stance worked much better for killing elites, because he will still taunt, but won't hold threat as well. What this will do is allow me to pull threat with my damage, and after getting hit for a few seconds, Broonmark will taunt him back. This spreads out the damage between the two of us, and allows my passive healing to be more effective.

Got a level 38 Jugg collecting dust simply because I couldn't stand Quinn as a companion (even moreso since a certain asshat gave me some unwanted story spoilers). Quinn is the sole reason I will never get a Jugg to 50. Much less a Marauder. At least untill they implement something along the lines of companion skill customization.

I love the class and the rotation/resource system/etc/etc don't bother me. But the fact that I can plow through nearly everything the game throws at me that is not Heroic on my Operative, Assasin and Merc regardless of my companion, while having problems on even a group of strongs or a single quest elite with my SW, makes me cry tears of blood.

I can understand and live with the fact that picking Jaeesa for example is not as easy as picking a healer, but the sheer difference is just stupid.

Deleted
    Killed all class quest elites with 90% left with Quinn and Annihilation.

I feel your pain! I got my Marauder to 43 before I abandoned him for my Sorcerer (who was 20-something at the time). It just got too difficult to level, even with my healing companion decked out in three or four pieces of orange gear.

I switched from Carnage to Annihilation around level 30, and things got a little better, but by the time I was 40 it was back to using a medpac + all defensive CDs to kill a group with two regulars and a strong (silver). It probably didn't help that I was, on average, at least a level below the content I was killing, but the same thing happened on my Sorcerer and I had no problems...

Now that my Sorcerer is level 50 and our guild is getting bigger, I may try to finish those last 7 levels, but it will certainly be frustrating - my Sorcerer (speced Lightning for leveling) just cut through pulls that I can barely pull off on my Marauder.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-16 at 02:10 PM.

Marauders are definitely not easy but you should not have trouble with elites your level with any companion. Jeasa is nasty, and force cam is great to drop aggro and have it attack your companion. Yes you will have to use your cooldowns as marauders are not as tough as some of the other classes but I used Jaesa until correlia and switched to malvin just because it does make it easier but there is no reason you cannot level with Jeasa. Its not as fast as the others cause of more down time channeling but its not a large degree harder just slower.

I am leveling a sentinel(Jedi Equivilant) And first for leveling spec Annihilation the self healing adds up to alot. The sustained DPS is quite a bit better making elites easier. Im soloing Heroic 2's with my version of Jaesa(Kira Carsen). And biochem is hella useful for leveling. Using your defensive CD's is not a bad thing thats what they are there for. I enjoy the challenge as i like you leveled a Sorc first with healing /tank companion and just rofl'ed my way through it. This is a refreshing change imo.
    Been gone since 2011, enjoying being back.

Alright so I played a sentinel but same shit, different name. I had to use doc (healing) over the uber cute kira(dps) because I basically wanted to not have to stop and heal between each group. I leveled a warrior in WoW during BC so I understand the need to sit and drink between groups however doc just sped the process up by allowing for longer fights. I also used watchmen(dot) spec for amazingness that is that spec. Now my sorc and op are both dps speced around lvl 30 and I have to say I still have way more fun on my sent than my sorc. While I can torch any pve stuff with my sorc and pvp is kinda easy/fun watchmen is still my favorite spec in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Annihilation + Jaessa = win you get enough self heal from annihilation + with the dmg of both you and Jaessa things die pretty fast even elites/champions ... only annoyances are that u have to keep Dots up at all times and use all cooldowns other than that if u do your rotation right it's easy kill a pack, rest, kill another pack, rest etc :P I have even been able to tank Flashpoints if the healer is decent without much trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Karshtakavaar View Post
    I agree, timing interrupts is definitely a key skill to have/use when fighting stronger mobs. However, I disagree with Malavai being the only viable companion for a Marauder. At the later levels, I actually found Broonmark in a DPS stance worked much better for killing elites, because he will still taunt, but won't hold threat as well. What this will do is allow me to pull threat with my damage, and after getting hit for a few seconds, Broonmark will taunt him back. This spreads out the damage between the two of us, and allows my passive healing to be more effective.
    you can do something similar with any dps companion, where you basically tank, then vanish when low and let them take the rest of the beating. atleast thats what I was doing on my marauder with vette. eventually, I had to give up during Voss bonus series and start using quinn, I was dying way too much

Personally, once I had Jaessa I never looked back. I also spec'd Carnage, which I understand is one of the harder specs.

I found Quinn's voice and demeanor so grating that as soon as I got Jaessa I used her exclusively.

Was it hard? Yes it was.

Did I die? Yes I did.

Did it cost a lot? Yep... repairs were a bitch.

But I had a thoroughly enjoyable time playing. I learned a lot about the class.

Always send your companion on the attack. Don't charge in until he/she is engaged.
    If the group of mobs has a Strong or an Elite, put your companion on that, and you quick kill the weak ones around.
    Cloak of Pain... should always be on c/d. Saber Ward should be used as needed. Interrupt... interrupt... interrupt. Use your offensive c/d's when they're up, and break combat if you grab aggro.

Do the bonus quests. These will keep you a level or two ahead of the mobs. Any little bit will help. I tried to keep two levels ahead of most planets.

Get Jaessa orange modable gear and keep up her mods. Give her as much endurance as possible. Keep her weapon up to date so she does good damage.

I admit, I avoided Elite mobs as much as possible, but I had no real problems with Class Quest Elites. Had a friend give me a hand the time or two I had to down a Champion though.

Main thing though, is that you have fun. Many people will give you advice, take what you want from it. But enjoy the game.
    Last edited by Bittersteel; 2012-02-16 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bittersteel View Post
    Personally, once I had Jaessa I never looked back. I also spec'd Carnage, which I understand is one of the harder specs.

I found Quinn's voice and demeanor so grating that as soon as I got Jaessa I used her exclusively.

Was it hard? Yes it was.

Did I die? Yes I did.

Did it cost a lot? Yep... repairs were a bitch.

But I had a thoroughly enjoyable time playing. I learned a lot about the class.

Always send your companion on the attack. Don't charge in until he/she is engaged.
    If the group of mobs has a Strong or an Elite, put your companion on that, and you quick kill the weak ones around.
    Cloak of Pain... should always be on c/d. Saber Ward should be used as needed. Interrupt... interrupt... interrupt. Use your offensive c/d's when they're up, and break combat if you grab aggro.

Do the bonus quests. These will keep you a level or two ahead of the mobs. Any little bit will help. I tried to keep two levels ahead of most planets.

Get Jaessa orange modable gear and keep up her mods. Give her as much endurance as possible. Keep her weapon up to date so she does good damage.

I admit, I avoided Elite mobs as much as possible, but I had no real problems with Class Quest Elites. Had a friend give me a hand the time or two I had to down a Champion though.

Main thing though, is that you have fun. Many people will give you advice, take what you want from it. But enjoy the game.
    Yes, main thing is i want to enjoy the game (i hope i wont reach 50 for long time), thats why i want Jaessa. problem is Jaessa also need to have top-end gear for her level to be efective, so it kinda expensive to have up-to-date mods on my toon and companion. Btw, what kind of mods or gear in general Jaessa would need - forcewielder mods (more end. less willpower) or resolve mods (more willpower, less endur)?
    In comparison, my Sorc tank was in full greens, some even outdated and i wasnt had any trouble healing him, no need to interupt anything and i still had plenty of time to dps his target.
    And i dont want to avoid elites, i actually looking for them like on my sorcerer.

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamite View Post
    Marauders are definitely not easy but you should not have trouble with elites your level with any companion. Jeasa is nasty, and force cam is great to drop aggro and have it attack your companion. Yes you will have to use your cooldowns as marauders are not as tough as some of the other classes but I used Jaesa until correlia and switched to malvin just because it does make it easier but there is no reason you cannot level with Jeasa. Its not as fast as the others cause of more down time channeling but its not a large degree harder just slower.
    Thnx for tip, force camouflage really helps, completely forgot about that spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Yes, main thing is i want to enjoy the game (i hope i wont reach 50 for long time), thats why i want Jaessa. problem is Jaessa also need to have top-end gear for her level to be efective, so it kinda expensive to have up-to-date mods on my toon and companion. Btw, what kind of mods or gear in general Jaessa would need - forcewielder mods (more end. less willpower) or resolve mods (more willpower, less endur)?
    In comparison, my Sorc tank was in full greens, some even outdated and i wasnt had any trouble healing him, no need to interupt anything and i still had plenty of time to dps his target.
    And i dont want to avoid elites, i actually looking for them like on my sorcerer.
    I kept her on the high endurance mods.
    They are more prevalent with the planetary commendation vendors.
    For some reason the planetary comm vendors don't like to stock current DPS mods, but the tanking mods (higher endurance) seem to be maxed out on the vendors.
    Also, check the GTN regularly. I was able to keep her up to date on implants, offhands and earpieces fairly cheaply. You don't need blues. Up to date greens are good enough.
    For the oranges, I got her a saber, pants and chest quickly. Then checking the GTN, I manged boots and hat for pretty cheap. Gloves, wrists and belt I used greens that I either got during quests or off the GTN for cheap (2k to 5k credits).
    Now I'm going to tell you two tricks that some people might disagree with, but I found worked for my playstyle.
    Don't take companion gear for a quest reward UNLESS it gives a marked improvement. Always take the commendations.
    If you don't have access to friends for grouping, go back to a planet when you are 7 to 9 levels higher than the content and do the Heroic 2+ an 4 quests. Heroic 2+ can be solo'd 6 or 7 levels higher and Heroic4 and Area4 can be solo'd 8 or 9 levels higher. I do this for 2 reasons. The 1st time you do them, you usually get bonus quests (kill x mobs) and while you won't get xp's, you will clear 60k to 80k credits on each quest if you vendor the green, blue and trash items. You can make more if you GTN the greens or blues, but I tend to go for the instant gratification rather than wait for the cash. 2nd reason, is that I want to see all the content .
    In this way I always had cash. I got my lvl 40 speeder at lvl 40, my lvl 50 at 50. I buy what I want from the GTN without worrying about price, and I leveled my Treasure Hunting and Artifice rather quickly.
    Last edited by Bittersteel; 2012-03-07 at 09:06 PM.