Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You won't hear many positive things of SW:TOR on this forum, most here are playing WoW and have biased opinions.

SW:TOR is a great game, there are 8 classes that all have their own unique story with 200+ hours of content (granted you'll be doing the same non-class related quests if you make an alt on the same faction).

If you like WoW and/or Bioware games you'll probably also like this game. It has some baby illnesses but it's nothing that won't be remedied in time.
    Main difference between TOR and WoW is the story/lore, quality and amount of voice acting and the sci-fi setting instead of a medieval high-fantasy one.

Skyrim. Alot more to do.

Not going to lie, I bought both of them, played both of them for about 8-12 hours and forgot about them.

I think I had more fun with SW:ToR, even though Skyrim is more my kind of thing. However, I felt I wasted my money on both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    I'd go with none. I played Skyrim, finished the game and it got boring. ToR... Well, people say not so good things about it.

Save your money
    So based on hearsay you tell people not to get SW:TOR. People also say good things about it. Just like people say bad and good things about WoW. It's called an opinion.

Deleted
    Both are excellent games so it will ultimately be a question whether you like
    A. games that are pretty much on rails storywise but does deliver a great story, aka SWTOR, or
    B. games that are almost terrifyingly open and allows you to do whatever you want but with a lacklustre story, aka Skyrim.

Also the sub-fee on TOR is important to put in the equation as well, 15$ a month is nothing to sneer at if you feel you have to choose between two 40$ games.

Deleted
    Only Skyrim, if you thinking about ToR, you better resub wow for one month ;P

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voley View Post
    So I got some money for one new game, and I haven't played those.
    I enjoyed playing WoW for 5 years, and among most recent games are Dark Souls, COD:MW3, GoW3, Starcraft 2, whatever.

Or should I just finish my older games?
    I haven't finished Chrono Trigger, Dark Souls, Dragon Age Origins and I absolutely love them, especially Chrono Trigger.
    Skyrim, without a shadow of a doubt. Great game, great community with it's add-on and things like that.

---------- Post added 2012-02-19 at 01:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    Both are excellent games so it will ultimately be a question whether you like
    A. games that are pretty much on rails storywise but does deliver a great story, aka SWTOR, or
    B. games that are almost terrifyingly open and allows you to do whatever you want but with a lacklustre story, aka Skyrim.

Also the sub-fee on TOR is important to put in the equation as well, 15$ a month is nothing to sneer at if you feel you have to choose between two 40$ games.
    Did you just call Skyrims main questline lackluster? Get outta here!

Skyrim.

If you played WoW for 5 years and quit due to boredom, TOR might bore you like it did me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I will admit as an Elder Scrolls fan the storyline wasn't quite as good as Oblivion. Mainly because the ending of Oblivion was like "holy crap a dragon!" whereas in Skyrim it's "oh look, a dragon"

There's no doubt Skyrim is fantastic though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Skyrim, i didn't enjoy Swtor, personal opinions and all but still, skyrim all the way!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glomp View Post
    I will admit as an Elder Scrolls fan the storyline wasn't quite as good as Oblivion.
    Ugh the main storyline of oblivion... I never want to see an oblivion gate ever again... Shivering isles was amazing though.
    I would suggest skyrim over SW:TOR if you enjoy an open world.
    Last edited by Foxtails; 2012-02-19 at 12:25 PM.

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

Deleted
    If you can only choose one I would suggest Skyrim. I have 164 hours played time according to steam, with no mods added to it. I took a break from it though when SW:TOR was released, also still have to finish up Zelda Skyward Sword... ^^ I must have spent at least as much time if not more just leveling characters in SW:TOR (legacy level 22 and only one character over 40 to give you an idea of how hard it is for me to stick with one...)

If nothing else I would also like to throw in a suggestion of Witcher 2 unless you have already played it.

Skyrim, do it.

And to people who say TOR has 200+ hours of content for 8 classes, I don't agree. I would say it's more like 100+ hours of content for each faction, and then a few hours for the class story quests. C
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-02-19 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

Just like pretty much every Bethesda game. While from game to game the quality of the main story changes they're always short and the real bulk of the game comes in the form of side quests and random things to do. I mean hell the very start of the game you have a choice between the Empire or the Rebels. What compelling reason exactly do you have to pick the guys who were just about to hack yours and your best prison buddy's heads off? None other than the fact that your other character you already played picked the sensible choice and you just wanted to see what happened. In all honesty the games are far more similar in terms of how they go about playing than either person who likes one but hates the other would ever want to admit. The real choice comes down to do you want a more linear game experience or something very open?

but I'll leave folks with this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...e-Old-Republic

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...rolls-V-Skyrim
    Last edited by shimerra; 2012-02-19 at 01:29 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    In my option which is worth nothing-

Skyrim is grey and brown and that is the only colours this game comes in...its dull

Tor - is a game rush out of the door, There is even a post on the heroengine website, about how they wanted to make a New MMo a fast as they could, and it shows, its a static world of loading screens and walking..if the game was scaled down and made into a single player game it would have been great.

Save your money and try GW2 - hopefully that might have the all important gameplay factor

Funnily enough Skyrim will probably last you longer with mods than MMO's at the moment.

Only get Skyrim for the mods/exploration of a huge world. The quests are pretty boring(and the random ones are basically the same all the time), and the story isn't amazing either. Its a choice between story and exploration, I'd say.
    I enjoyed my first playthrough of the main quest in Skyrim, and the other quests are okay as well the first time you do them(except the Civil War ones, they're just boring). Skyrim's combat is bad, mods might be able to fix that at least partially. The dungeons get very repetitive(especially the enemy types).

I only played SW:TOR during the open beta weekends, and enjoyed the story. I've watched Jesse Cox' Sith Inquisitor series as well, and the story sounds quite good even later on. The combat system is like WoW's, but I really didn't like the UI(very little customisation, just feels weird).

Both games have pretty good lore overall, even though some things in SW:TOR are way too close to the movies' technology/aesthetics, even though it happened 10000 years before the movies. Imo it should've looked more like the comics and the other games that happened before the movies.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2012-02-19 at 01:40 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by varren View Post
    Skyrim. Alot more to do.
    .... Really?

If you're looking for great RPG content, I'd go as far as to say that SWTOR is better than Skyrim. I've played both and although skyrim has a lot of great aspects to it, the only thing that really stands out to me now is the exploration and the daedra questlines. After that I had 0 motivation to go back, because I had seen everything.
    The combat from skyrim is terrible.... It's simpler than WoW combat so I guess that says a lot. There's many different skills you can level, but some are really useless and some make your character overpowered beyond measure... Serious balancing issues there.

For SWTOR on the other hand has great content and tons of it at that! The storylines are actually better than skyrim and although the combat is very close to that of WoW's, the enemy variety actually makes you think about which mobs you're gonna tackle from what direction.
    Now the big issue people are complaining about in SWTOR is the max level experience, but seeing as you're putting it up against skyrim (which has 0 max level content) I'd say you're more interested in the stuff leading up to that. You don't HAVE to put as much time in every MMO as people have put into WoW

One of my current WoW guildies has been playing it since release and has yet to hit lvl 50 on a single character. You might think this is a bad thing, but he just played stuff to do storylines and what not, and he's still having a blast. As far as value, I'd say definitely go for TOR!

You did say you love the other games you already have though, so go play them first and grab TOR or skyrim (or both) on discount later on

15+ Year Old Account
    Swtor is very nice, Skyrim also but its a different feeling

MMO is always nicer imo.

But you defo should get both, they are amazing (imo).
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by senshu View Post
    Skyrim has been out just over 3 months total...
    Your point being exactley ? You know months can be just two months right ? Stupid troll post ..

Skryrim on the PC for certain. Several hundred hours of gameplay, a brazillion mods too.

I'd suggest you go Skyrim, then Rift if you need an MMO to hold you over until GW2. GW2 looks to be the game changer that people are waiting for.

SW:TOR is...ok. But nothing really special unless you love the Star wars expanded universe.