Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticroots View Post
    I have played a fair bit of Rift, its is very fun at times. You have 4 classes but each class has 3 souls, so this basically allows you to create any type of character you want, such as a healing mage or tanking rogue with a pet.
    Note that there are 8 souls for each class, but that you can only have 3 active in any build. While technically this means that you've got 336 possible combinations of souls per class, the reality is that there are some obvious synergies, and some combos that just don't work.

You also get 5 (or is it 6 now?) different specs that you can switch between pretty easily, consistently cheap respeccing, and decent gear re-use between roles (at least until 50).

Not sure if serious or...

So you played during Alpha testing too?
    By less features maybe he means fewer side activities such as Archeology or Fishing? I can't really think of much else and I have an active WoW account right now. Maybe starter areas... I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    By less features maybe he means fewer side activities such as Archeology or Fishing? I can't really think of much else and I have an active WoW account right now. Maybe starter areas... I don't know...
    I guess, would those really be desirable things? I'm kinda glad there is no fishing, hated it in WoW. But what I want is not what everyone wants I suppose.

I was more thinking about the 'things to do' part when I replied tbh. At endgame, I would say that there are more meaningful things to do than in WoW, where it's really dungeons, raid, battlegrounds, arenas. In RIFT we have Chronicles, IA, Invasions, World Events on top of that.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryl View Post
    <Snip> User Post Was Removed
    Why don't you elaborate on why they should not bother, rather than just going caps lock mode and saying don't bother... that's not very informative or helpful at all.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-02-19 at 08:04 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    I guess, would those really be desirable things? I'm kinda glad there is no fishing, hated it in WoW. But what I want is not what everyone wants I suppose.
    LOL the only fishing I ever did in WoW over 8 years was in Goldshire when they first give you a fishing pole. Fuck virtual fishing w/ a rusty vibrator.

I was more thinking about the 'things to do' part when I replied tbh. At endgame, I would say that there are more meaningful things to do than in WoW, where it's really dungeons, raid, battlegrounds, arenas. In RIFT we have Chronicles, IA, Invasions, World Events on top of that.
    Yea, Rift seems to have pretty much all the standard stuff as WoW at endgame aside from the fishing thing and Arena, I suppose.

I never tried Arena in WoW. Wouldn't even know how to get into the arena. Heck. I don't even know where the Arena is [STV & Borean Thundra?], that's how little I care about PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    As the title says I'm sorta bored with WoW atm and I only stick around for raids and the social aspect. Since Rift is currently fairly cheap on steam I thought I'd try it, but beforehand I was wondering if you guys could maybe tell me what I could expect before I do buy it. That and is it even worth buying at all?
    I bought it in the steam sale around christmas, I still enjoy WoW at least for raiding, but I'm not doing anything but raid in it currently. So I play Rift casually on some of my off-nights. If you get it in the 5 euros sale or whatever with a month of time like me, snap it up!

It's been good value for me, I have not even touched raiding (due to not having a suitable guild and the fact I only have a small quite specific time frame to play atm) and i have found lots to do. There are loads of acheivements to get, plenty of 5 mans that are fun and have some interesting mechanics.

I have not even touched crafting, raiding or PvP and I always have plenty to do. Although as I say, I do only play maybe 15-20 hours a week. I would recommend you buy it and have a go

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift was voted the top MMORPG of 2011 by most reputable sources and, when you play it, you realise why. Trion essentially loves their game, and won't sell out merely to grab more subscribers than they can possibly please. Let me put it like this:

World of Warcraft caters to more players, but none are truly happy; everyone's just contented.
    Rift caters to less players, but those it caters to love it; if you're not that crowd, then forget it.

The only way you, or anyone else, will know if they like Rift or not is to give it a go. I wish this "WoW clone" argument would go away, because it's ridiculous. If using the holy trinity and a GCD is enough to convince someone that they're the same, that's not a person whose opinion holds any weight.

World of Warcraft caters to more players, but none are truly happy; everyone's just contented.
    I'm incredibly happy with WoW, which is currently in its best expansion end game PvE wise. Don't make blanket statements and assume you speak for everyone.

Rift isn't a WoW clone, but it is modeled closely after WoW in many areas. In terms of game play Rift is exactly what you would expect if WoW was made in 2011 instead of 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by backupoffmeson View Post
    I'm incredibly happy with WoW, which is currently in its best expansion end game PvE wise.
    Most end game players would disagree I think. Hence WoWs population decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by backupoffmeson View Post
    Rift isn't a WoW clone, but it is modeled closely after WoW in many areas. In terms of game play Rift is exactly what you would expect if WoW was made in 2011 instead of 2004.
    Kinda doubt it, they are doing endgame differently as has been said in this thread multiple times now.

Try RIFT lite until you are surely interested or not to buy. Should be easy to make decision at that point.

Also, I think graphics resemble koreanish style(to me they are cheap and unpolished but many others like it), game engine is 10yrs+ old (gamebyro), flying mounts implementation is impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the poster above: "The newest version, Gamebryo 4.0, is going to be introduced in March 2012." The engine is on it's 4th update since it's launch.

This has turned into another <game> vs <game> thread which never ends well. To the OP only you can decide if you like a game or not try the free level 20 trial and make a decision.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-02-19 at 10:00 PM.