Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    (GW came out like a year after WoW.)
    Thought GW came out in 2004, and WoW in 2005?

EDIT: just googled it, it was the other way around >> I look foolish now.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post

Don't be silly.

You always look foolish.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post

Now?

Just kidding everyone makes mistakes! <3

I honestly don't give a rat's ass.

It's not like 15 dollars is a lot of money. But I would rather pay 15 dollars a month and have NOTHING absolutely NOTHING purchasable with real money than not pay a subscription and yet be able to purchase cosmetic stuff.

Don't really care too much either way though..

The cosmetic stuff... is optional >>... So you'd pay 60$ for a game, then 15$ every month that came with nothing, over 60$ for the game and paying nothing extra? I don't see how that works. But you're right, no one should really care unless they are economically dependent and tight, and need that money.

But again (like a lot of people), your line of thinking is toward the subjective argument of the topic, and not the factual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post

It's not like 15 dollars is a lot of money. But I would rather pay 15 dollars a month and have NOTHING absolutely NOTHING purchasable with real money than not pay a subscription and yet be able to purchase cosmetic stuff.

I don't really understand the logic of "how dare they put in completely optional purchases that I have no obligation to buy that have absolutely no effect whatsoever on balance."
    If you're that desperate to pay 15$ a month, wouldn't buying 15$ of character slots and cosmetic things each month be effectively the same thing?

(Unless you're a compulsive spender who can't help but spend loads on optional stuff, then I can understand it I guess.)

15+ Year Old Account

I'd rather have optional cosmetic stuff and more frequent expansion packs than a mandatory monthly fee. Monthly fees are known to ruin games in my opinion (no, Firelands was not worth the 90$ I paid since the last update).

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really understand the logic...
    Oh that's easy, there isn't any.
    He, like many others, is still under the impression that his 15 dollars buys him some sort of insurance. When in reality it's just a money grab.

Isn't GW2's business model that they have more frequent expansions?

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    So, I bought this hotdog. Then I ate it. Now I have nothing!

I'm not saying that subscription based is the way to go (I like to keep my money whenever possible thank you very much), but your example was not much good.
    Rly ? You spent hundreds of hours polishing the hot dog, collecting stuff to make it the best hot dog ever before you ate it ? Your example is not very good ...

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Oh that's easy, there isn't any.
    He, like many others, is still under the impression that his 15 dollars buys him some sort of insurance. When in reality it's just a money grab.
    But he said "Rather pay 15$ a month and have ABSOLUTELY no cash shop EVER"
    That's what I don't understand the logic of.
    He even specified that he knew everything was cosmetic anyways.
    So basically, it seems that he hates every MMO's current model, not that he's against B2P.

That really depends. If they add achievements that have to do with getting one of those optional things then it's not THAT optional anymore to a completionist.

I'm a person that finds fun in completing every little possibility in a game. And if those possibilities have anything to do with purchasing extra (optional or not) content, then not only does it not become as psychologically optional anymore it also becomes ridiculously more expensive than 15 dollars a month.

For instance, let's take wow as an example, or a fictional wow (since I'm not entirely sure how it works cause I unsubbed a while ago). If they add feats of strength to getting one of those blizzard store poneys then it is no longer AS optional as say collecting all the white quality tuxedo vests for fun.

Because honestly you can argue that ANYTHING is optional since it's a game and not a job but once you start giving psychological rewards (such as achivements) for obtaining those optional things, it becomes a grey area between "required" (if anything can be in a game) and optional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craind View Post
    WoW is P2P because of Activision.
    Activision = greedy
    They don't -need- to get a monthly income from their game in order to make content. Many players will be using the cash shop anyway.
    you clearly dont know anything, cause Blizz been charging Sub fee since it released (2004) and they didnt join Activision till (2008)

But he said "Rather pay 15$ a month and have ABSOLUTELY no cash shop EVER"
    That's what I don't understand the logic of.
    He even specified that he knew everything was cosmetic anyways.
    So basically, it seems that he hates every MMO's current model, not that he's against B2P.
    There you go =) Yeah, I don't particularly enjoy any of the models to-date. But that doesn't prevent me from playing. I'm just stating a point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Isn't GW2's business model that they have more frequent expansions?
    Once every year usually, though they had a exxpansion once after 6 months. But even then you spend much less money then the 15$ a month method.

60$ for a game + 15$/month for P2P = 60 + (15 *12) = 180
    60$ for a game + 60$ for an expansion a year later = 60 + 60 = 120

Not counting all the money you spent in the game store or buying gold/gear, that's just the base mandatory price.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Rly ? You spent hundreds of hours polishing the hot dog, collecting stuff to make it the best hot dog ever before you ate it ? Your example is not very good ...
    Well, your refute isn't very good either... That's one of the topics that was brought up of how people are defensive of their accounts on P2P games. They spend tons of money to get the best gear/titles/etc and when something new comes out, they don't want to say that their 15$ a month was a waste.

That really depends. If they add achievements that have to do with getting one of those optional things then it's not THAT optional anymore to a completionist.

I'm a person that finds fun in completing every little possibility in a game. And if those possibilities have anything to do with purchasing extra (optional or not) content, then not only does it not become as psychologically optional anymore it also becomes ridiculously more expensive than 15 dollars a month.

For instance, let's take wow as an example, or a fictional wow (since I'm not entirely sure how it works cause I unsubbed a while ago). If they add feats of strength to getting one of those blizzard store poneys then it is no longer AS optional as say collecting all the white quality tuxedo vests for fun.

Because honestly you can argue that ANYTHING is optional since it's a game and not a job but once you start giving psychological rewards (such as achivements) for obtaining those optional things, it becomes a grey area between "required" (if anything can be in a game) and optional.
    By that logic, however, you wouldn't be able to add anything into any game ever.
    "Can't add this optional shirt to the cash shop because the people who want to collect all of the shirts will complain."
    "Can't add this optional whistle that makes a noise when you click it to the game because all of the people who collect vanity items that do nothing will complain."
    "Can't add extra character slots to the game because people who want more than 5 toons will complain."

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know, now GW2 is the best game ever, it's going to kill wow and everything else on it's way! Just like STW, Aion, AoC etc..

Then it sucked and lacked cont!

People really... stop considering that GW2 is going to be superb.. you really have no clue.. you can't really know if it's going to suck and it totally needed a P2P base or not. All you have are shiny imagines of the game and some system that indeed look realyl good, still... all the games use to look like that final great game! then they fall a bit because of those who were talking so much crap about it, telling that it was going to rock! Why don't you just wait and see?

I believe that it will be a great game, but who knows if that greeeat or just one more?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho42 View Post
    After reading this, I thought how awesome it would be if Blizz stopped charging for future expansions.. As it is now it's going to be kind of crazy having to buy vanilla, BC, wrath, Cata, and then Mist, and as other posters mentioned, it does suck that if you stop paying for wow, you lose all of the xpacs you paid for.

Back on track, I too thought it was odd that GW2 wasn't P2P, but it will be nice to play what looks to be a very awesome game, with out a monthly cost.. while I still dish out money for WoW. >.>
    umm you dont lose all the xpacs if you stop paying ?? your account is just frozen

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    You know, now GW2 is the best game ever, it's going to kill wow and everything else on it's way! Just like STW, Aion, AoC etc..

Then it sucked and lacked cont!

People really... stop considering that GW2 is going to be superb.. you really have no clue.. you can't really know if it's going to suck and it totally needed a P2P base or not. All you have are shiny imagines of the game and some system that indeed look realyl good, still... all the games use to look like that final great game! then they fall a bit because of those who were talking so much crap about it, telling that it was going to rock! Why don't you just wait and see?

I believe that it will be a great game, but who knows if that greeeat or just one more?
    Trolls will be trolling. You don't understand the topic. NO ONE HERE thinks that GW2 will be a WoW Killer, we are discussing the matter of the business model of P2P vs B2P, which the best comparison sadly is WoW Business Model vs GW's. Shoo troll shoo.

Don't read the 1st page and ignore the 280 other posts in here and assume you know where the topic of the conversation has led to <3
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-02-28 at 03:05 PM.