Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Another soldier profession? What could it be? (Hypothetical discussion)

So I realize there are only two solider professions, while the other profession types have three each. If somewhere down the road Arenanet decided to add another soldier profession, what could it be? Personally I'd like another magically oriented melee that isn't as "white knight hoity toity" as the guardian, and doesn't focus on support like the guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    So I realize there are only two solider professions, while the other profession types have three each. If somewhere down the road Arenanet decided to add another soldier profession, what could it be? Personally I'd like another magically oriented melee that isn't as "white knight hoity toity" as the guardian, and doesn't focus on support like the guardian.
    If it were to happen it would probably be a Battle-mage or a dark knight.

Deleted
    Perhaps something like the Dervish from Guild Wars 1, though I'm unsure how much they've spread the aspects of Dervish/Paragon etc across the other professions.

Death Knight type character, or a warrior-mage type character.

I like the idea of warrior-mage. Death knights are so overdone IMHO.

10+ Year Old Account
    You kind of already have the battle-mage type character in the Guardian.

I'd say put the Dervish class in Heavy Armor. (I can come up with better if I thought about it... I just don't feel like thinking about it too hard.)
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heartlessgamer View Post
    I like the idea of warrior-mage. Death knights are so overdone IMHO.
    Yeah, plus there's already a necro-like profession. I would like a battle mage kind of thing, but they'd have to make the magic he uses different from your typical fire, ice, earth, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    You kind of already have the battle-mage type character in the Guardian.

I'd say put the Dervish class in Heavy Armor. (I can come up with better if I thought about it... I just don't feel like thinking about it too hard.)
    Guardian is kind of the polar opposite of a battle-mage Guardian is mainly defense/support a battle mage would most likely be mainly offense/control.

Paragon-like profession. More range options than a Warrior, less magic than a Guardian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Paragon-like profession. More range options than a Warrior, less magic than a Guardian.
    Pretty sure in the lore the paragons teachings are part of what makes a guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Warriors have solid ranged builds though O.o

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Solid ranged builds yes, but not many options.
    2 weapons VS 4-5 weapons, is what Fencers meant by more range options.

Pretty sure in the lore the paragons teachings are part of what makes a guardian.
    Paragon-like in playstyle not lore or appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Said more options.

Some thing like...

Armor: Heavy, Shields
    Weapons: 1h Javelins, 1h Sword, 2h Hammer, Greatsword, Shortbow, Longbow, Warhorn

Like Brad Pitt in Troy type solider.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-02-26 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say a Lancer-ish type.

1h Javelins, off-hand javelin (dual wiedling javelings is pro), shield, warhorn, two-handed polearm.

Mechanic wise I have no real clue. Maybe a buffer/debuffer? Or a stat affecter? Like I'd imagine a warrior who can build up "stacks of____" and use them to rally/give boons to his allies while at the same time making the enemies more vulnerable?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    I'd say a Lancer-ish type.

1h Javelins, off-hand javelin (dual wiedling javelings is pro), shield, warhorn, two-handed polearm.

Mechanic wise I have no real clue. Maybe a buffer/debuffer? Or a stat affecter? Like I'd imagine a warrior who can build up "stacks of____" and use them to rally/give boons to his allies while at the same time making the enemies more vulnerable?
    While I like the idea of it, I find it hard to imagine Arenanet will make a class based around one weapon type.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I like the idea of it, I find it hard to imagine Arenanet will make a class based around one weapon type.
    Yeah, I was thinking of that as well. I am not sure which popular archtype they have not covered already which can be implemented as another soldier class.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of that as well. I am not sure which popular archtype they have not covered already which can be implemented as another soldier class.
    Yeah, they pretty much hit the nail on all the fantasy types, I'm having a hard time coming up with a unique profession myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw soldier class. Bring in another clothie, I want ritualists again.

But really, dervishes were more of a leather/medium armor class than heavy. I'd assume they would bring in something new if they added another. Heavy caster maybe?

What about some sort of melee using magical enhancements/enchantments/blehlgeblgedfbgl, aren't Dervish kinda like that? Or am I thinking wrong?

Kind of like an Enhancement Shaman in WoW, if you will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Kind of like an Enhancement Shaman in WoW, if you will.
    The whole nature, spirit, and elemental user is covered by other professions.