• Sorrow's Furnace

24 24.49%
  • Crystal Desert

36 36.73%
  • DarkHaven

19 19.39%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Hunter 4 lyfe.

Pro-tip: you can avoid the 3007 error by joining General chat every time. It's hilarious how stupid everybody there is. Tried to explain, rather patiently I think, that subscription fees don't rake in nearly as much money as box sales.

I think I'm a misanthrope.

Edit tip: don't take character-building advice from people in General chat, they don't know their shit half the time.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-20 at 10:34 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Demon Hunter 4 lyfe.

Pro-tip: you can avoid the 3007 error by joining General chat every time. It's hilarious how stupid everybody there is. Tried to explain, rather patiently I think, that subscription fees don't rake in nearly as much money as box sales.

I think I'm a misanthrope.

Edit tip: don't take character-building advice from people in General chat, they don't know their shit half the time.
    I use the D3 forums for builds or create my own (since, you know, I'm not an idiot), and I never had errors playing or logging into the game unless they specifically said the servers were down.

The only problem I have with DH, is that once you are in Hell+ Difficulty, they are such at a huge disadvantage compared to other classes in solo content. It's makes me a little sad. You practically need Vault+SS to not die from certain mobs like Wallers, Trappers, and Vortex Magic or Rare mobs and I don't like having to be dependent on on 2 Utility. Yes, you can play with either-or and play, but you put yourself in a harder situation.

Also, been doing a lot of 1h+shield builds with Chakrams and other abilities that do not require Bows. Did that all the way through normal and was fun (Double Chakrams hurt like a mother load and tore through everything), but it wasn't for serious play.

It helps a lot if you buy certain gear, bought a lot of gear with +Dex +Vitality and +Exp and put a +18% Exp from Monsters in my helm. Levels you crazy when you have +200 Exp from kills AND +18% Exp on everything.

TIPS:
    • Save your Money, don't spend it uselessly on getting your Crafting up (gems and gear cost significantly less on the AH) - Costs 3-5k to buy a Square <Gem>, but costs close to 10k to craft one.
    • Use your money in the following ways: Save it for later; Buy Gear as you level up (if you're in a lvl 20 area, you normally get gear lower then that level), it's cheap for some really good stuff; Sell Gear, you can easily sell bad Yellows for 1 or 2k and decent ones that you don't need for 3-5k

Sorry, going Off Topic from GW2.

EDIT: Everyone is a Misanthrope, the only difference between you (general term, not you) and other people is the magnitude.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-05-20 at 11:33 AM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    But I like Vault... that's crazy fun!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

But I like Vault... that's crazy fun!
    It is, but I dislike its bug, which gets me killed more times then it should.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    Vault saves my ass more often than not. I haven't gotten to Hell, so I guess we'll see.

The build I like:
    Caltrops (i change up the rune a lot, but I might go for reduced cost after how I was doing against Diablo), Vault (the action fire one, w/e it's called, but I want Tumble), Evasive Fire (I use the shrapnel rune for now, but I want Displace), Multishot (fire at will rune I believe), Bola Shot (thunder ball, yay for stun!), and Rapid Fire (Withering Fire rune makes it so cheap and spammable)

It's served me well so far, though I spend a lot of time kiting bosses. Stunning Diablo was fun.
    Worth noting: When you use the Withering Fire rune with Rapid Fire, it actually becomes cheaper to fire off the skill in quick short bursts, rather than sit there channeling. That's part of why I like it, but I haven't quite master the notion of letting of quick bursts while I move.

I guess if I were to give up Rapid Fire for the Elemental Bolt, I'd do it for either Lightning Bolts or Nether Tentacles.
    I'm not sure why people hate on Evasive Fire. It's actually saved my ass quite a bit, and helps provide me with a good alternative to Bola Shot. It's basically an automatic half-cost Vault in exactly the direction you want to go: away from the baddies. And if there are no baddies near ya, you do a good bit of damage (while generating Hatred significantly faster than any primary skill).
    I keep wanting to get Smoke Screen instead of Caltrops, but I haven't found it nearly as useful, especially with the Discipline cost.

---------- Post added 2012-05-20 at 06:01 PM ----------

Random comment related to my last post: another fun Diablo-esque game is Darkspore, for those of you not turned off by Sci-Fi. It hasn't gotten nearly enough attention, but that's maybe because it was made by Maxim... it was surprisingly fun when I tried the beta, but I just never got around to buying it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-20 at 11:02 PM.

Deleted
    My favorite Demon Hunter setup so far (level 38, so still subject to change with new awesome runes) is Hungering Arrow on LMB with the +50% pierce chance rune, Multishot on RMB with the electricity damage rune, Marked for Death with the AoE around the target rune, Sentry with the rocket rune, Companion with the bat rune, and Caltrops with the immobilization rune. Typically play 50-50 in mutiplayer with friends and solo. Kiting is so much fun.

I just hope it'll keep me entertained until GW2 comes out. Please hurry, ANet!

Well.....that was probably the best episode of GoT season 2 so far imo.
    No coincidence that it was directed by David Benioff who directed most of season 1. Great episode. I wish the first half of season 2 had been like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Well.....that was probably the best episode of GoT season 2 so far imo.
    No coincidence that it was directed by David Benioff who directed most of season 1. Great episode. I wish the first half of season 2 had been like this.
    I'm still bitter about changes from the book. Primarily that he ruined my absolutely most favorite quote from the first book.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still bitter about changes from the book. Primarily that he ruined my absolutely most favorite quote from the first book.
    The fact that they butchered Arya's story at Harrenhal is what pisses me off the most. ><

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanni View Post
    The fact that they butchered Arya's story at Harrenhal is what pisses me off the most. ><
    It does feel way off. So far, I haven't seen any weasel soup.

I feel good, I just did my first tri-warp prism drop.

WHERE IS YOUR KOREAN APM NOW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I feel good, I just did my first tri-warp prism drop.

WHERE IS YOUR KOREAN APM NOW?
    Three warp prisms, or three Gateways?

Oh wait you said drop. Wtf, you used them like dropships?

Three warp prisms, or three Gateways?

Oh wait you said drop. Wtf, you used them like dropships?
    I didn't have 12 gateways, so yes like drop ships. I warped the zealots in right before I went in. I also knew for a fact that he had no anti-air defenses. So it wasn't very risky.

This is how it went, 3 warp prisms with 4 zealots each. So 4 zealots per mineral line. After that I followed up with my main army which was mostly a bunch of stalkers and three colossus. Since he had already split his own units, it was pretty much GG.

Even without my army, he had basically zero income now. I felt pretty good about that little tactic. ^^

edit: Though, I did invest almost 2k minerals into that. If it failed, then that would suck so much.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-22 at 02:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I didn't have 12 gateways, so yes like drop ships. I warped the zealots in right before I went in. I also knew for a fact that he had no anti-air defenses. So it wasn't very risky.

This is how it went, 3 warp prisms with 4 zealots each. So 4 zealots per mineral line. After that I followed up with my main army which was mostly a bunch of stalkers and three colossus. Since he had already split his own units, it was pretty much GG.

Even without my army, he had basically zero income now. I felt pretty good about that little tactic. ^^

edit: Though, I did invest almost 2k minerals into that. If it failed, then that would suck so much.
    Ah, yes, that would do the trick.

Worth noting: You could have built 4 Gateways, and warped in a set of 4 one at a time in each mineral line, then attacked right as you're warping in the second set of Zealots, but that would give him time to react. :O!
    It would've been fun to see him ping-pong, though, I'm sure.

Ah, yes, that would do the trick.

Worth noting: You could have built 4 Gateways, and warped in a set of 4 one at a time in each mineral line, but that would give him time to react. :O!
    I'm really good at micro and the early game, but my macro is just absolutely terrible. Like I said, he had three expansions. I was just getting my second.

I'm really good at macro with zerg, oddly enough. But Protoss once I get beyond the initial four gateways I usually do, I try and end the game as quickly as possible because they have more and more an advantage.

I also can't deal with cannon rushes or six pools well at all XD

I just leave usually, it's not worth my time. And I don't play the game competitively, so I don't care about my ranking.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-22 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah. Well, I suck at micro and early game, but tend to have pretty good macro. /shameface

Which makes me kind of mad, because I've tried and tried to get the hang of Zerg, the ultimate macro race, and I just plain can't.

Then again, I don't pvp SC2... at all, these days, really. Even when I did, I kinda focused entirely on 3v3.

Ah. Well, I suck at micro and early game, but tend to have pretty good macro. /shameface

Which makes me kind of mad, because I've tried and tried to get the hang of Zerg, the ultimate macro race, and I just plain can't.

Then again, I don't pvp SC2... at all, these days, really. Even when I did, I kinda focused entirely on 3v3.
    Zerg is, without a doubt, the hardest race to play. This is why you rarely see zerg winning at the lower rankings. Apparently, there is a direct correlation between how often zerg wins and the league of that player.

This is pretty easy for anyone who's played SC2 to understand why.

With zerg I usually just expand really quickly and focus on map control. I try and limit them to just their main, but normally the best you can hope for is the natural expansion.

But still, if you let a zerg get 4 expansions when you only have 2...

---------- Post added 2012-05-21 at 10:54 PM ----------

On another note, transitioning into planetary fortress expanding in your enemy's main is always good fun.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-22 at 02:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a hard time with Zerg primarily because it's so different from Terran and Protoss in how you create units. I've gotten the hang of queen management, but I'm not so good at managing when to make drones and when to make an army, let alone when to expand (I know Day9 spoke about this once, but I haven't watched him in forever, and back when I was watching him I was heavily focused on Protoss). But also the fact that I suck at early-game weakens me. Zerg need to be able to build up their strength fast - that's supposed to be their strength after all.

With Protoss at least, I've nailed down my early game to... what is essentially a memorized routine (although I don't seem to get my Robo built at the supply I'm supposed to... then again, Protoss have gotten some buffs/nerfs since I built them at 26, and I've improve my pylons-and-probes a lot).
    With my Protoss, I basically constantly make Probes, and constantly make units. Leaving structures idle is just plain bad. And because of that, I know exactly when to expand: When I've got too many probes for one base, and it's defensively safe to do so (e.g. army recently fought off, or having recently caused painful damage to the enemy).
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-22 at 03:07 AM.

Indeed Drake.

"Do I make drones or units?"

Another problem with zerg is, "Fuck, he has colossus. I just spent all my larva on roaches!"

However, that could be said with other races, which need to train the units individually.

The key with zerg is to expand expand expand. Expanding allows you to produce more units faster. Basically the rule for expanding, at least normally for the first one, is if you have no larva, and you have over 300 minerals. Zerg in general is very "weak." The race isn't underpowered, but it is kind of wish washy. You have to rely purely on units for defense, and those units themselves are kind of squishy.

(unless you mass queens with tier 3 units, like queen/broodlord and maybe some infestors thrown in. But that's a very immobile army)
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-22 at 04:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to rely purely on units for defense regardless of race, except for 1-2 turrets/cannons near the mineral line, to defend against air/stealth. :P
    The Queen fulfills a similar role (plus the Overlords as detectors of course).

I guess I'll have to try and keep that particular rule in mind. Aesthetically, I do prefer the Protoss anyways, but I hate the idea that I'm only good at some of a game.