Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i know, that´s why in my response he quoted i used "if it´s illegal"

in my country the distribution of copyrighted material is not allowed, but i can download and use shit all if i find it online without having any fear for prosecution

i believe in germany it is a bit different
    ah I figured it was all the same for EU countries. I guess they can individually pick and choose heh. So your laws are basically the same as in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I remember when games here retailed for $100 at release...
    Holy christ I remember buying Super Mario Bros 3 at Canadian Tire for like $95.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The DMCA established in 1996 became the international standard for all things digital.
    And by definition, based on the DMCA, pirating is in fact theft.
    The DMCA is just a piece of bullshit legislation put forth by the lobbyists of the American MAFIAA. It's nothing but a weapon of corporate greed, and on a global scale means very little, thankfully.

It's not theft when you sneak into a movie theater to watch a movie without paying, or into a concert to see it without paying. There's no proof, nor can there be any assumption, had you not been able to do so for free, that you would've paid for a ticket. Similarly, it's not theft when you watch a movie or listen to a piece of music on your computer for free. It's not theft when you use your doubledeck cassette player to copy your friend's C64 cassette, or make a mixtape from several cassettes you borrowed from your friend. It's not theft when you record songs from a radio station. Yeah, that shit used to happen every day a few decades ago, and nobody (except the greedy corporates) said shit about "theft" or "piracy".

The people who produce and distribute that product (the people who actually made it have already been paid) sure would want you to pay for it, but whether you do enjoy (watch, listen to) that product, they can't in no way assume to get your money.

Filesharing != piracy != theft.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2014-04-08 at 09:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The DMCA is just a piece of bullshit legislation put forth by the lobbyists of the American MAFIAA. It's nothing but a weapon of corporate greed, and on a global scale means very little, thankfully.

It's not theft when you sneak into a movie theater to watch a movie without paying, or into a concert to see it without paying. There's no proof, nor can there be any assumption, had you not been able to do so for free, that you would've paid for a ticket. Similarly, it's not theft when you watch a movie or listen to a piece of music on your computer for free. It's not theft when you use your doubledeck cassette player to copy your friend's C64 cassette, or make a mixtape from several cassettes you borrowed from your friend. It's not theft when you record songs from a radio station. Yeah, that shit used to happen every day a few decades ago, and nobody said shit about "theft" or "piracy".

The people who produce and distribute that product (the people who actually made it have already been paid) sure would want you to pay for it, but whether you do enjoy (watch, listen to) that product, they can't in no way assume to get your money.

Filesharing != piracy != theft.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Ta..._Killing_Music

just wanted to add it because i think it´s funny
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    I love pirates

I just started watching season 1 of Black Sails and got excited about this topic.

I am disappointed now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I just started watching season 1 of Black Sails and got excited about this topic.

I am disappointed now.
    don´t be, you´re a pirate of the 21st century, now have some rum
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Ta..._Killing_Music

just wanted to add it because i think it´s funny
    And the whole thing is funny. I mean, take a look at this:

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/new...php?upcoming=1

There's a good idea of how for example metal is doing right now. Does it look like small, neverheard artists have died off? Not quite. They're doing just fine, and these are the people whose music is being found daily via filesharing. The most well-known filesharing outlet being, of course, Youtube.

Do you really care if the Justin Biebers and Rihannas of the world are making tens of millions of dollars, or whether they're making just a bit less? Do you really care if Sony and the other big dogs are giving out hundred million dollar bonuses to their coke-snorting CEOs? I don't. I care about the little guy, and the little guy is doing just fine, despite all the bullshit propaganda to the contrary.

15+ Year Old Account
    And the whole thing is funny. I mean, take a look at this:

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/new...php?upcoming=1

There's a good idea of how for example metal is doing right now. Does it look like small, neverheard artists have died off? Not quite. They're doing just fine, and these are the people whose music is being found daily via filesharing. The most well-known filesharing outlet being, of course, Youtube.

Do you really care if the Justin Biebers and Rihannas of the world are making tens of millions of dollars, or whether they're making just a bit less? Do you really care if Sony and the other big dogs are giving out hundred million dollar bonuses to their coke-snorting CEOs? I don't. I care about the little guy, and the little guy is doing just fine, despite all the bullshit propaganda to the contrary.
    hu? no i don´t care for that, all i was talking about is if there are laws against it, change the laws rather than become a criminal

if everyone waits for outdated laws to be changed before breaking them then they rarely get changed. it's often only when they're challenged that the laws are ever reconsidered

Deleted
    hu? no i don´t care for that, all i was talking about is if there are laws against it, change the laws rather than become a criminal
    Sorry the whole post wasn't a reply to you, only the "and it is funny" -part. The rest of it was just general musings onto this thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry the whole post wasn't a reply to you, only the "and it is funny" -part. The rest of it was just general musings onto this thread.
    oh, alright *g*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I'm sorry but piracy and theft are two completely different things.
    Nuhuhhh.....
    What two different things are to some degree, because by nature one excludes the impossible, that's Piracy and Online Piracy.

Piracy includes:

Boarding
    Extortion
    Hostage taking
    Kidnapping of people for ransom
    Murder
    Robbery
    Sabotage resulting in the ship subsequently sinking
    Seizure of items or the ship
    Shipwrecking done intentionally to a ship

Piracy is also not limited to acts committed at Sea. They also happen on land, and in the air.

What we are dealing with here is what's labeled as online piracy. And that act is more accurately legally described as Intellectual Property Theft. And if you revisit the list of crimes applicable to piracy, then you find only 1 crime left possible.. Robbery..

What I've argued is, that the default stance has to be: Online piracy is theft. (for now, and the sake of logic change)
    Because only then the most productive result can be achieved in regards of alteration of the laws. And why is this the case? Because the corresponding laws succeed the existence of the internet. They are all a lot older. We cannot magically ignore them.
    The fact that court decisions favored the online "pirate" only validates the case(s) of said people.
    If in the physical world some random dude steals a bag of apples at a store, gets caught and a judge decides to let him get away with a slap at the wrist sentence, because the judge thinks the guy did it because he was hungry and desperate. That does not mean how all thefts of apples are now to be treated like that. The next guy with another judge might find his ass grounded for 30 days behind bars. The law always gives room for individual evaluation.
    The intellectual property laws are not an exception to this principle.
    What should be done therefore is, to find a satisfying solution to the regulation of virtual goods. But it has to be a very good solution, since - as I argued before - there are heaps of small businesses that rely on protection of their goods for the sake of plain survival and income. There aren't just the entertainment industry giants. There are millions of small income people involved too.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-04-08 at 01:02 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    I'd argue that pirating music/games that you can't afford is both immoral and right at the same time, considering that you wouldn't buy it anyway.
    Pirating software is another thing tho. But if it's software i need to further imrpove my education, then i'll gladly pirate (steal it) and i'm not ashamed to admit it.
    If all that stands before me to get a education in order to get a job as a graphics designer is a 700$ fee for Photoshop that i can't afford, i'll be damned if i'll let that stop me.
    Is that a bad thing? Absolutely. But i'd still do it.

Piracy is also not limited to acts committed at Sea. They also happen on land, and in the air.

What we are dealing with here is what's labeled as online piracy. And that act is more accurately legally described as Intellectual Property Theft. And if you revisit the list of crimes applicable to piracy, then you find only 1 crime left possible.. Robbery..
    It's cute that you went so far as to try and build a strawman to argue against, but I've been talking about online piracy this whole time.

I'm sorry but online piracy and theft are two completely different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I pirate:
    - anime/manga (nature of consuming as an english consumer at times, though it's getting easier to be legal every year)
    - music/movies that I cannot find on the itunes store

I don't pirate:
    - games
    - software
    - majority of movies/music

I used to pirate ALL movies and music, until I started fulltime employment. I've always been diligent with purchasing my video games.

Deleted
    I buy my games 99% of the time, if im on the fence about a game i might pirate it for testing if there is no demo. But usually i know what i want to buy beforehand. 150+ games in steam. I even have bought most of my fav games that i pirated in the 90's.

Music comes from spotify premium and some bands i support by bying merch/albums directly.

Netflix/HBO gives me some of the tvseries that i want to watch. I think i have subbed to four different providers for tvshows/movies/music. Still i have to download most of the new stuff as they are not available in any of my current subs. Some movies i watch in theaters.

I wish there would be a one place that would allow acess to most of the new/old tvshows. I would happily shell out 50e per month for it.

I'm a music producer - if a plugin pack didn't cost 6k$, maybe I'd consider buying it...
    Where i upload all my music:
    My Soundcloud!