View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Anyway, time to be favorite thing in the world: pedantic! The phrase martial arts is derived from a Latin phrase meaning the Arts of Mars, with art of course used in the sense of skill. Prior to the introduction of Eastern arts in the West, the term referred to any kind of combat training. Swords, spears, bows, whatever. Using a fire arm is definitely a martial skill, and thus a martial art under that definition. Today it means punching and kicking and usually wearing a bathrobe, but there is as much skill and training in putting a .338 into a Taliban insurgent at a mile and a half as there is in any of the East Asian stuff.
    I suppose that is correct, but then the greatest martial artist would probably be a fighter pilot or something similar

(And not a MMA fighter or monk)

Maybe you weren't. Maybe I was just reading in something that wasn't there. It happens. My bad.

From wikipedia:

"Some traditional martial concepts have seen new use within modern military training. Perhaps the most recent example of this is point shooting which relies on muscle memory to more effectively utilize a firearm in a variety of awkward situations, much the way an iaidoka would master movements with their sword."

Anyway, time to be my favorite thing in the world: pedantic! The phrase martial arts is derived from a Latin phrase meaning the Arts of Mars, with art of course used in the sense of skill. Prior to the introduction of Eastern arts in the West, the term referred to any kind of combat training. Swords, spears, bows, whatever. Using a fire arm is definitely a martial skill, and thus a martial art under that definition. Today it means punching and kicking and usually wearing a bathrobe, but there is as much skill and training in putting a .338 into a Taliban insurgent at a mile and a half as there is in any of the East Asian stuff.
    Even though we have different views on MMA vs Shaolin, I agree with the above statement!

Gun are part of Martial arts, it takes the same dedication and training to get skilled at it, people think just point and shoot. Yes you can hit the target just pointing and shooting, just like you can knock someone out with lucky punch ( Or in recent news kill a kid with a lucky punch, and people said the death punch doesnt exist! hehe)) But A skilled shooter can do it on the move or a whole lot faster because he trains to know where the bullet is going to go while moving, and how to get the gun into the position he needs to get it there. Training just as hard to be skilled with a gun as a sword to create that muscle memory is every bit a modern day art.

Threads about X vs. Y martial arts are pointless. It depends entirely on the two people and their skill levels. You can't even hypothetically guess because there's never a point in any martial art where people stop learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I suppose that is correct, but then the greatest martial artist would probably be a fighter pilot or something similar

(And not a MMA fighter or monk)
    They do often consider themselves the knights of the sky and one of the top Japanese aces of the Second World War was popularly referred to as the "Sky Samurai."
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-02-28 at 09:33 PM.

i think we should come back to the frame of two unarmed human beings fighting each other. while skill needed to operate a highly complex machine such as a tank or fighter plane maybe considered a martial skill, i think we can very well agree that we have drifted out of context.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that I was implying it, can you show me where I did so?

Firearms just aren't considered a part of martial arts in my book. I have never seen anyone refer to firing a gun as a part of martial arts, but I am willing to listen if you have evidence to the contrary.
    I consider Firearms a part of martial arts... any training of combat/war is a martial art in my opinion.

If I go back into training, I would probably get into MMA and FFKG (Fist Foot Knife Gun) for self defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    i think we should come back to the frame of two unarmed human beings fighting each other. while skill needed to operate a highly complex machine such as a tank or fighter plane maybe considered a martial skill, i think we can very well agree that we have drifted out of context.
    Never. I want know who would win between a ninja and a F-16.

Ninja...F-16 needs someone to pilot it! Hell I just won against an F-16!

Deleted
    Don't mess with an effing Shaolin monk!

Well a ninja could stabatoge the F-16 before take off! But the F-16 can bomb the ninja while he's sleeping!

/confused

depends which mma fighter obviously.

a normal regular mma fighter would probly stand no chance, but if you take GSP the greatest canadian athlete of all time then the shaolin monk obviously will get destroyed

is the ninja armed? can he even be found? is the f16 fully armed? does it have a full tank of aircraftgas? are they within reach of each other and how did the f16 get into the octagon in the first place?!
    i suppose it is the same with jesus fighting chuck norris, we will never know the outcome

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    is the ninja armed? can he even be found? is the f16 fully armed? does it have a full tank of aircraftgas? are they within reach of each other and how did the f16 get into the octagon in the first place?!
    i suppose it is the same with jesus fighting chuck norris, we will never know the outcome
    Oh, I think we know the outcome of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklebear View Post
    I just don't even know how to respond to this. Chuck Norris is not the be all and end all of martial artists by any means.

A lot of uneducated guesswork in this thread. I've trained BJJ, Muai Thai, and Judo for about 5 years now, and lots of people are saying that these arts don't teach "lethal" moves. All my teachers have taught me what is legal in competition, and other moves that aren't permitted. A lot of them have much lethality, but in competition aren't use to their full extent.

Yes, a monk could win, but a lot of the videos linked I would almost equate to 11 year old TKD students breaking boards in a dojo. It's exhibition. A lot of a monk's life is dedicated to spirituality and meditation. While it seems to outsiders that they possess mystical powers, they really are just trained to resist pain. The human body has limits, and if an arm or leg is broken, they aren't going to be able to use it, no matter how much they've trained.

One of the most comparable martial artists in MMA I would say is Lyoto Machida, as he practices a more traditional martial art style of karate, and very much into meditation and such. Definitely and unbeatable monster...

http://d.yimg.com/nl/yahoo sports/si...l#vid=24492906
    I have been training martial arts for 15 years... come back when you have trained like I have

Quote Originally Posted by U1000 View Post
    depends which mma fighter obviously.

a normal regular mma fighter would probly stand no chance, but if you take GSP the greatest canadian athlete of all time then the shaolin monk obviously will get destroyed
    If any regular shaolin monk can destroy a normal mma fighter..then wouldnt the greatest shaolin monk destroy George?
    I mean if we are taking the best of the best...then yes, I believe the best Shaolin monk would destroy the Best MMA fighter.

Well a ninja could stabatoge the F-16 before take off! But the F-16 can bomb the ninja while he's sleeping!

/confused
    Ninjas don't sleep fool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandapuncher View Post
    Ninjas don't sleep fool!
    They just hide from Chuck Norris.

Nobody in this discussion has any idea how a well Shaolin Monk can truly fight, do you think they are all super heros or something?
    I train BJJ and a ton of my friends are martial artists, they all agree that atleast 60% of Karate/TaeKwonDo/KungFu martial arts are outdated.

I don't really care what you call me, you can even call me cold...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    Nobody in this discussion has any idea how a well Shaolin Monk can truly fight, do you think they are all super heros or something?
    I train BJJ and a ton of my friends are martial artists, they all agree that atleast 60% of Karate/TaeKwonDo/KungFu martial arts are outdated.
    Honestly though, so is BBJ. That's why these hybrid systems are becoming so prominent. By combining Muay Thai, Kyokushin, BBJ, and Sambo to name a few, you can mitigate the short comes of each. This, of course, creates other short comings in terms of specialization.

I have to lol at all these people saying "oh, you living a dream man, stop watching movies, mma ftw...shaolin monks only train for show, flashy but ineffective moves." Ummmmm learn your history. They just didnt do this shit for no reason, they trained in order to defend monastaries from fucking ninjas. Holy damn all you MMA fanboys. Not a contest, Monk hands down, before the MMA guys can put on his stupid little gloves.