View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

Well aren't we dramatic!
    Mostly sarcasm... sometimes I feel like people on internet forums want others to be flogged IRL for making mistakes...

Who do you guys think would win in a boxing match?

Mohamed Ali in his prime or Mike Tyson in his prime?
    Mohammed had better agility than tyson, but not as big a punch (although Ali could certainly hit like a truck when he wanted to).

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post

Mohammed had better agility than tyson, but not as big a punch (although Ali could certainly hit like a truck when he wanted to).
    Tough to say.. I saw some of Tyson's fights when he was young and in prime condition.. he was a monster. I haven't witnessed Ali's fights, but heard stories. It's something of conjecture and noone would probably be able to tell for certain

Ima straight up say this. If there is one person who would beat off Silva's pants in a straight up death match. It would be Yogendra Singh Yadav. The indian soldier who climbed up a mountain while being hit numerous times with bullets, got shot several more times at the top of the mountain, blew up a taliban bunker on the top of the mountain with several grenades, took more bullets to the body, then entered a second taliban bunker and killed the 4 armed taliban inside with his bare hands, then once reinforcements arrived helped take the final bunker.

Then he fucking lived.

10+ Year Old Account

Conventional wisdom usually says Ali. If Tyson caught him by surprise, Tyson might be able to score an early knockout, but if Ali could make it out of the early rounds he could wear Tyson out like he did Foreman.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ima straight up say this. If there is one person who would beat off Silva's pants in a straight up death match. It would be Yogendra Singh Yadav. The indian soldier who climbed up a mountain while being hit numerous times with bullets, got shot several more times at the top of the mountain, blew up a taliban bunker on the top of the mountain with several grenades, took more bullets to the body, then entered a second taliban bunker and killed the 4 armed taliban inside with his bare hands, then once reinforcements arrived helped take the final bunker.

Then he fucking lived.
    Force of will cannot be underestimated...

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    One point I do like to make. In modern MMA, asian fighters generally aren't doing very well. There's a couple of exceptions (Sakuraba comes to mind), but that's just the way it is. I've no idea why, but it's something to think about while on this subject.
    This is not entirely true. Statistically asian MMA fighters don't do as well when they travel to fight in the US.

They have been making a big deal of this over the past year or so. Rogan commented on it the other night during UFC when Hatsu Hioki defeated Bart Palaszewski during the UFC in Japan. He looked amazing compared to his previous UFC fight where he eked out a split decision win.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palliente View Post
    This is not entirely true. Statistically asian MMA fighters don't do as well when they travel to fight in the US.

They have been making a big deal of this over the past year or so. Rogan commented on it the other night during UFC when Hatsu Hioki defeated Bart Palaszewski during the UFC in Japan. He looked amazing compared to his previous UFC fight where he eked out a split decision win.
    Yeah I remember that.

But if you look back at Pride, which took place in Japan, there weren't many asians competing at the top. Sakuraba and Gomi are the only ones that really come to my mind.

Yeah I remember that.

But if you look back at Pride, which took place in Japan, there weren't many asians competing at the top. Sakuraba and Gomi are the only ones that really come to my mind.
    I was trying to think of a good reason for that, and the first thing that popped into my head was........

Maybe Asians aren't that into martial arts?

Obviously false, but it made me giggle at myself a little.

I completely agree. A Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter with some good striking defense would beat a Shaolin Monk for sure. A Shaolin Monk is most likely an excellent stand up fighter but an MMA fighter would put him on his back and render most of that useless. If the Shaolin Monk had godlike takedown defense maybe he could win, but percentage wise, almost all fights end up on the ground unless both fighters are committed to keeping it on their feet. And like someone else on here said, the first UFC fights had all kinds of exotic fighting styles but BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Wrestling is what it has all boiled down to.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) A fighter who has researched and explored multiple styles (some ancient, some new), chosen the best features of those styles and combined them into something that works for him and his physique. More importantly, he has been around the world and TESTED his findings against 20-30 (or more) world-class fighters that come from countless other backgrounds, he has learned his lessons and improved his own skill accordingly.
    He has essentially been fighting people who are doing the same thing he has been doing, i.e. taking the best from all techniques and becoming the ultimate fighter.
    The icing on the cake is the access to the latest technology and tools that can deliver him any kind of information he needs to improve his fighting skills, his food/nutrient intake, etc. He has access to the best trainers from around the world as well, so the combined training and experience is nothing short of vast.

vs

2) A monk who spends the majority of his time confined to his temple training against blocks of wood and sparring against...well you guessed it, other monks. He spends the rest of his time meditating and fasting in order to strengthen his mental and spiritual aspects. He has been practicing the exact same thing that his ancestors have practiced for thousands of years because most asian martial arts make very little room for change, flexibility or improvement - Wing Chun and Shaolin included.
    More importantly, this monk has NO CLUE how to counter styles from other nations because he hasn't even seen these styles, let alone fought and developed counters for them. He attemps to compensate this by starting from a young age and hitting himself with household objects and putting his body through other kinds of silly torture. Too bad nobody told him that doing those insane things don't improve your fighting skills, they simply make you a better punching bag. He has no access to technology and relies on information passed down from word of mouth or written in books...books written by other monks before him, armed with fighting techniques that have only proven to work on random bandits or other monks.

And somehow the majority of the people here have delusions that a temple-dwelling monk could beat an elite well-experienced MMA fighter in hand-to-hand combat in any setting or scenario.

The only shred of evidence you back yourself up with is what you've seen in circus-like shows, movies and the occasional documentary that reveals how many metal bars monks ca take to the face on a daily basis or how long they can hang from their necks. Hahahaha.

It would be equivalent of sending an ancient indian tribe equipped with bows, stones and spears against an armed SWAT team. The indians have trained long and hard since they were children following thousand-old traditions and techniques, and they might even manage to bring down some of the SWAT members with a lucky arrow or spear. But they're still going to get wrecked. The monk is basically walking to his own death if there is no referee to stop the MMA fighter from breaking the monk's (somewhat tougher) face.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-02-29 at 09:41 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Bobalicious View Post
    I completely agree. A Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter with some good striking defense would beat a Shaolin Monk for sure. A Shaolin Monk is most likely an excellent stand up fighter but an MMA fighter would put him on his back and render most of that useless. If the Shaolin Monk had godlike takedown defense maybe he could win, but percentage wise, almost all fights end up on the ground unless both fighters are committed to keeping it on their feet. And like someone else on here said, the first UFC fights had all kinds of exotic fighting styles but BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Wrestling is what it has all boiled down to.
    That's what I've been saying all along. The shaolin monk has been fighting OTHER shaolin monks his entire life, so their takedown defense would be shit since nobody is taking anybody down in Kung Fu.

We all know what happens when a pure striker ends up on his back with a BJJ guy on top of him. Actually they wouldn't even need to be on top. The MMA fighter could just tie up, pull guard, and go triangle or arm bar. They might dance around a little and put some punches or kicks out there, but as soon as it got close the fight would be over as fast as the MMA fighter wanted it to be over.

The problem with this is that when you learn a martial art you still have no idea how well you would do in a 1v1 fight. Martial arts are most effective when a person stands in a perfect place for the move you deicde you want to do, this is not always as effective as somebody with a superior primal instinct that also has extensive training in martial arts(a lot of MMA fighters are black belts in more than one thing). I have to side with the MMA fighter, because of the way shaolin monks live it is likely the closest they have ever come to a real fight is simple sparring and nothing can ever prepare you for getting punched a shitload of times, technique is very nice but instinct is what makes great fighters great. Basically because all MMA fighters have martial arts training AND instinct and it is possible for the Monk to not have such strong an instinct that the MMA fighter would always go into the ring with the advantage.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palliente View Post
    We all know what happens when a pure striker ends up on his back with a BJJ guy on top of him.
    Well, 31% of us do.

Well, 31% of us do.
    Hahaha, well done sir.

My mind is literally blown...looking at those poll results.

Kiai Master is the proof that mma fighters can be defeated, he could defeat Anderson Siva and Jon Jones together, look on youtube "Kiai Master vs MMA"
    Last edited by pmbonaldo; 2012-02-29 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryers View Post
    As of yet, there are no "proper" Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter vids because Monk aren't allowed to compete in competitions.
    Heh, yeah, and I'm not allowed to use my psychic powers for personal gain; that's why I haven't won the lottery with my pre-cognitive powers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Heh, yeah, and I'm not allowed to use my psychic powers for personal gain; that's why I haven't won the lottery with my pre-cognitive powers.
    I can only turn invisible when nobody is looking.

Quote Originally Posted by pmbonaldo View Post
    Kiai Master is the proof that mma fighters can be defeated, he could defeat Anderson Siva and Jon Jones together, look on youtube "Kiai Master vs MMA"
    He looks like he was shooing away some flies. He must not have been ready, due to those flies.

Deleted
    a lot of the "best" dont even go in for that ufc/pride crap it has rounds and rules and time limits not to mention big padded gloves and i guarantee once a skilled jui jitsu fighter/grappler gets hold of 1 of them monks its game over, they is no doubt of that whatsoever and its alright doing shows kicking and punching bits of wood and air but no matter how skilled you are if u cant take a punch you are useless
    Last edited by mmoce85cdeb601; 2012-02-29 at 11:11 PM.