Cardio after Leg Days

I just started lifting after weeks of solid of cardio and 15lbs lost. I'd like to continue doing my cardio classes, but today I'm having trouble even walking after doing a solid leg session yesterday.

Any tips on reducing the post workout soreness and getting my ass into my spinning class?

10+ Year Old Account
    post workout stretching.

Deleted
    Put your leg workout at the end of the week... at least, that's what I do.

Drink water, eat protein.

Perform dynamic stretches pre-workout (some solid ones in the beginning of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYNk-UF1B4), static stretches post-workout. I make sure I warm up enough to get through most of the soreness.

I normally do stretch before and after, but I have a feeling it's probably half assed. I'll look into more stretches for each of my work out days. Today, Ill get to the gym early before my class and stretch it good.

Projali, Ill look to add those stretches to my workouts. Thanks guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive been working out for about 6 years or so. During highschool, we had a professional weight lifter teach us the proper way. Stretching is extremely important as is protein intake. I'd recommend doing what the above said and stretch for a longer period of time or to switch the stretches and to eat much more protein. If you haven't started consuming whey protein yet, try it out. It does wonders for soreness.

No pain, no gain!
    "And a man…a man provides."
    Streaming SWTOR, HON, nostalgia games, and what ever the people request at http://twitch.tv/seamaf.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a good stretch in after the workout, then liquids and protein, possibly with some BCAAs (branch-chain amino acids). If it is hurting to the point that you can't walk the next day following a workout, then you are likely over-training which can cause serious injury.

Yesterday after my workout I had two scoops of muscle milk, two scoops before bed, salmon for dinner (which I believe has a healthy amount of amino acids?). I think more water and stretching will do me good.

Here's the muscle milk I drink: http://www.cytosport.com/wp-content/...-2.47lb-NF.jpg
    Last edited by Swiffer; 2012-02-28 at 06:40 PM. Reason: fixed link

Water, protein and if u can.. get a proper massage, it works wonders, seriously!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was never a fan of muscle milk. If thats what works for you, more power to you. Personally, I do the whole 6 meals a day thing, small meals each, and then substitute 3 of those meals for protein shakes. Breakfast, shake, lunch, shake, work out, dinner with a shake or something similar.

Also, one meal every now and then wont do much. Protein intake needs to be consistent throughout the week in order for it to actually make a difference. Though, stretching seems to likely be your main concern after reading what everyone is saying. I personally only stretch pre-workout. To each their own.
    "And a man…a man provides."
    Streaming SWTOR, HON, nostalgia games, and what ever the people request at http://twitch.tv/seamaf.

My question is on leg days how many reps per set are you doing ? since I never feel like I cant walk after leg day sore yes but never pain to the point of cant walking.

Your just really sore because you just started doing legs im guessing...after a month or 2 of leg workouts your recovery time and soreness should decrease dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    Your just really sore because you just started doing legs im guessing...after a month or 2 of leg workouts your recovery time and soreness should decrease dramatically.
    This.

Also, do your leg workouts towards the end of the week and take a day or two off cardio to let the legs recover.

been said but yeh pretty much after working your legs for a month or less the soreness will stop as your body adjusts too it aslong as your properly stretching before cant stress the importance of stretching enough,

also trying and fit your cardio into a day of its own with a rest day before if you can, my cardio is a day of paintball which i play every sunday and go to the gym monday wednesday and friday giving me saturday to let my legs recover

Don't forget to stretch. And yeah, you're sore because you just started. Keep going for a while and your muscles will get used to the strain.

Deleted
    Surely you can just change your schedule? Intensely exercising the same muscle group (be that cardio or weightlighthing) right after each other is never a good idea, even if you stretch and eat healthy.

I made it through my spinning class just fine. It ended up being a bit easier than I thought. Good thing I have a rest day today.

I could shift my schedule, but I'm trying to follow a work out program.

MOAR STRETCHING AND PROTEIN AND WATER! GO!

10+ Year Old Account
    either find a non-leg cardio or go easier on leg days.

step it down to maybe 3/4s effort. i usually do 200+ watts on the elliptical for an hour, but step it down to 140-160W on leg days. works well for me.

Elliptical, etc., spinning is a little intense depending on your goals. *Soreness is going to be assumed.

Deleted
    I do legs on monday or wednesday and do cardio on other days, mind you I do low intensity cardio. Usually you'll lose the soreness after a few mins