Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    (Ever wonder why the only option is DCU? Perhaps because anyone else who's tried has failed miserably?)
    Out of curiosity, who else has tried to put an MMO on a current gen console? I can't think of any off the top of my head. PS2 had a handful (some still running, others either going to be shut down or shut down long ago). I know CCP is coming out with Dust 514 in the next year or two, but other than that and DCUO I can't think of any others. For an MMO to work on consoles you would have to pretty radically change the entire game from what is normally expected because of the wildly different control scheme and the fact that the ability to communicate isn't a guarantee (if you play a PC MMO, you have access to a keyboard. You don't necessarily have access to a mic with a console) mean you have to do some things very differently. It's dangerous since your exploring new areas (dare I say...innovating, or at least attempting to) and most big companies are afraid of making such a risky investment.

balance + funny content >.............> graphics
    My wife came to me and asked: "What have you done to the poor cat? She is half dead..."

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Generic Dragoon ability that has been in most FF since 4 :P
    Sorry dragoons was in the third game for the NES and had a jump ability!

Agreed with the rest though FF 14 haven't impressed so far kinda hoping it gets a swing up but they kinda would need a new game released rather then a patch imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Problem with super awesome ability animation : it become boring REALLY fast.

I mean look at the "monk" animation (second in the video) could you really watch this 20 times a minute ? I like my combat animation sober, because they are spammed. And having to watch an acrobatic show every 3 secondes would drive me crazy.

Nicely detailed sober animation that's what MMO need. Not super shiny WTF triple somersault with fire earthquake.
    Final Fantasy XIV actions are not spammed.

You're talking to the wrong crowd OP. WoW diehards are unlikely to enjoy FFXIV.

to be honest, that looks as stupid as blade and soul.

I hate. and mean HATE games that makes your auto attack look like the god damn apocalypse
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post

Noooo mustn't play any game except WoW or I will go to hell! How pathetic.
    Plus you obviously didn't even read what he posted at all, he just wants WoW magic effects to be more magical and less boring. Not that an ageing dinosaur such as WoW can do that. How clever of the WoW devs to create a dinosaur graveyard for it to die in!

Please refrain from bashing other games. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-10 at 06:17 PM.

Deleted
    WoW has a stylized cartoony art style though, I actually like that. I think it could be tightened up a little, maybe slightly higher poly counts here and there, and some of the textures are a little stretched, but on the whole I like it. It's what makes WoW WoW. Graphics aren't everything either, as other games have prooven (e.g: Minecraft :P)

Quote Originally Posted by pool842 View Post
    you have not played those games if you think that.... wow people are blind... either by site or by fanboydom... and yes I am blind lol to the fact that this game is not that great yet... but to say another mmo out now is better graphically is down right ridiculous... do i have to get out the pixel calculator....
    FFXIV's art is absolutely horrible. The graphic textures are high quality, yes, and the number of polygons in the models are obscene but the fidelity of the game and the environments are simply horrendous. It's the epitome of "generic fantasy setting".

Yes, despite how you wish to believe otherwise, Rift and Aion *ARE* more graphically intensive and inclusive than FFXIV is. FFXIV has high resolution textures, polygon hell models, and that's about it: the lightning is pretty terrible, the shadows are basically non-existent, and the little bells and whistles are simply not there.

When it comes down to the overall package, yes, FFXIV is the worst of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by pool842 View Post
    to the people saying that mmo's cannot survive a console are idiots sorry. But how many mmo's are on console's again... oh one dcuo... really that's all consoles have to choose from no wonder mmo's don't survive on consoles they have nothing to pick from and dcuo is just plain crap. I will bet on my SWTOR account that 14 will not only flourish on its release on to consoles but that it will get a major comeback on pc as well. Not as much as wow but enough to make it profitable for SE... and as a fan thats all I really want. The SE team on 14 has been working day and night since the launch to completely rebuild 14 since December of last year and the plans they have comming for the game are amazing. Please take note of this link before you bash and say it will never be worth trying again.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...ser/index.html
    No, we're not idiots: we're intelligent people that can look at a market and see how the past has been for console MMOs. Everquest Adventures and Final Fantasy XI were the two in the PS2 era. EA simply bombed and I think supported was either dropped last year or they were rumbling about finally dropping support for it.

FFXI, even at its prime with the addition of the EU populace last barely broke 120K~ players on the PS2 *AND* the 360 during their all-time high of 680K~ players. That's barely 18% of total players and today with less than 200K players they're barely pushing 5% for both consoles (and PS3 emulations) combined.

A console MMO is not a sound financial decision in the long term and everyone (that is intelligent and grounded in reality) outside of Square-Enix knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Out of curiosity, who else has tried to put an MMO on a current gen console? I can't think of any off the top of my head. PS2 had a handful (some still running, others either going to be shut down or shut down long ago). I know CCP is coming out with Dust 514 in the next year or two, but other than that and DCUO I can't think of any others. For an MMO to work on consoles you would have to pretty radically change the entire game from what is normally expected because of the wildly different control scheme and the fact that the ability to communicate isn't a guarantee (if you play a PC MMO, you have access to a keyboard. You don't necessarily have access to a mic with a console) mean you have to do some things very differently. It's dangerous since your exploring new areas (dare I say...innovating, or at least attempting to) and most big companies are afraid of making such a risky investment.
    It isn't a popular move because consoles are entirely unsuited for an MMO. To work, you either have to completely regut the game as you mentioned to be able to work within the constrained confines of the system limitations, or you have to do what Square-Enix did (and will do) with their two MMOs:

You have to slow down the flow of the game and completely make it brain dead easy to play (even more so than WoW) so that the controller scheme will actually work. It's why, to this day, FFXI can not go beyond the 80 item limitation on inventory, why people can't see more than 25 players within their field of vision, why the engine tanks with just those few people, and why the "interface" is lifted straight from the original Dragon Quest (i.e. it's Nest Menu Hell). You basically have to destroy the integrity of the game in order for it to "fit" within the console and it ends up creating a lot of "quality of life" issues with the PC players. This just breeds resentment and in the case of FFXI causes a major rift, even in the game, with the playerbase because the PS2 has trouble doing X issues and the 360 has trouble doing Y issues, so the PC players have started to segregate and discriminate because dealing with the console issues ruins everyone's fun.

Besides the fact that it's extra work for an inferior product, basically developers don't bother with porting MMOs to consoles (intelligent ones, at least) because of the fact that the actual demand and population of the targeted audience is incredibly low. It simply isn't a sound business decision, but since their merge Square-Enix hasn't really been "all there" in the intelligence department.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post

Yes, they're unlikely to enjoy it because the combat is slow as molasses and utterly boring. There's not even flinch animations or anything to show a hit, miss, parry, or dodge so everything ends up looking the same.