Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

My thoughts about SWTOR.

So,
    I bought SWTOR when it was released, played a night, and then stoped. I recently bought more game time and I played to level 13, but then stoped.

--> I KNOW I HAVEN'T PLAYED ENDGAME AT ALL, SO NO "BUHU LVL TO 50" COMMENT PLEASE <--

I think the problem from questing is that there are alot of side-quests. If there would only be one questline, like the class questline.
    When I play SWTOR I feel like Im in a action movie, but what if you watched James Bond, but suddenly someone came up to him, telling him that the evil.. something.. has to die, and he should kill 10 of those. You know what i mean?
    anyone agrees with me? or disagrees? all comments (but the "TAKE 50 U BIT*H) are welcome.

I agree I feel that their are entirely to many side quests. I never really did all of them lvling, you didn't need to. Overall I did enjoy the questing though, it's just a matter of getting your fill and moving on. Break up the monotony with some pvp, or flashpoints or space missions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of people will tell u the lvling is great. The side qeusts are in every mmo/rpg i actualy like themm in swtor couse they are stories of their own and some are very good.
    If u dont like story or lvling in general swtor isnt gonna change that to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    Alot of people will tell u the lvling is great. The side qeusts are in every mmo/rpg i actualy like themm in swtor couse they are stories of their own and some are very good.
    If u dont like story or lvling in general swtor isnt gonna change that to.
    i agree that the lvling is great, but as i said, only if you're up to one questline.

get to lvl 50, if you are discouraged by the leveling then you obviously only played wow when cata hit. Yes this was probably not the kinda answer you wanted but the leveling in this game is amazing, and if you dont like the extra quests, dont do them? you can do the planets and your main story lines, pvp for the rest to catch up, space mission your way till appropriate levels, flashpoint your way or do thoose extra side quests. The issue you have with them and your james bond refernce is kinda bummed out, and yes, you stopped at level 13, before the game takes off for real. But even on dromund kass (im imperial so im looking from that pov) when you get send to some place sure it tells you to do something but its never like "go kill 40 boars because i want to eat some hot steak! its more alike kill theese 40 rebel slaves thats in your way anyways to your storyline/planet storyline. So all in all, go level on, if you got discouraged this early, well no offense but you are simply impatient without any abilty to see how the side quests almost always (there are exceptions ofcourse) makes sense in you aiding your faction while ultimately serving your own goals.
    Last edited by srathgar; 2012-03-13 at 01:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game isn't hit and run, you can't expect it not to be a grind, every MMO essentially is. You need to firstly find a class that you're comfortable with, and then the rest falls into place. I have levelled a Sith Inquisitor Assassin, and a Sith Warrior Marauder to 50 and although it's only the class quests that set them apart story-wise, I had a really good time with my first playthrough on my Assassin, and appreciated the playthrough even more on my Marauder the second time round.

If you find the side-quests pointless, try to understand the reasoning behind them rather than saying "go here, kill 10 of these." I just can't understand why people would buy this game and not want to enjoy the story.
    The Old Republic - Coral - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
    - Aseko - Marauder // Akeso - Assassin -
    - Akkyvineus - Shadow // Aseka - Sentinel -
    Stream // Hybrid Sin - Dat Push! - Carnage Op - Failbang
    i7 5820k 3.6ghz | MSI X99S ACK | Potenza 16GB DDR4 | MSI GTX 980 | 512GB Crucial M2 SSD | NZXT Phantom 630 Black | 1000W Corsair RM

I found the side quests awesome. IT also affects how some npcs respond to you when you turn the main quest back in. Like if you kill that Sith Lord on Balmorra as a republic player. To each his own I guess.

Also, side quests are definitely optional, you can pvp to level, space mission to level (lots of xp there), do flashpoints and to ease up questing in general, group with a friend.

15+ Year Old Account
    People will bitch about everything...

Cataclysm: OMG Questing is so linear, there is only 1 questline!
    SWTOR: OMG there are so many sidequests, I want linear questing!

a) You don't have to do all the sidequests
    b) Having lots and lots of sidequests is awesome. I leveled 2 chars to 50, and have another at 30, and still discover new quests on every planet.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Your class story is everything in swtor. If you don't like you class story you wont like the game. That being said there are 8 stories and there is one to fit everyone. My RL friends rolled pub. I tried, and tried again, but I just didn't like the story compared to my Bounty Hunter.

Try some of the other classes and their story. There are no bad classes in ToR.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    Your class story is everything in swtor. If you don't like you class story you wont like the game. That being said there are 8 stories and there is one to fit everyone. My RL friends rolled pub. I tried, and tried again, but I just didn't like the story compared to my Bounty Hunter.

Try some of the other classes and their story. There are no bad classes in ToR.
    just said that i LOVE the classquests (BH atm), though i do not like that i HAVE to do sidequests (unless i pvp/do flashpoints)

I haven't found a ton of 'side' quests that take me out of the way of my main quest line - unless I didn't go the way the developers thought I would. I enjoy the fact that this game is both linear and semi-non-linear at the same time. If I want to do the quests I do them and follow where they lead, I haven't been disappointed many times doing it.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by pwntus95 View Post
    just said that i LOVE the classquests (BH atm), though i do not like that i HAVE to do sidequests (unless i pvp/do flashpoints)
    I see. Yes the class quest are a lot better than the sides. You are asking for a xp boost to class quest then? I might have to agree with you here. It's almost like an immersion break to leave your class quest and start doing sides. Patch 1.2 you will be able to buy stuff to boost xp. All you can do is tough through it till then

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    I see. Yes the class quest are a lot better than the sides. You are asking for a xp boost to class quest then? I might have to agree with you here. It's almost like an immersion break to leave your class quest and start doing sides. Patch 1.2 you will be able to buy stuff to boost xp. All you can do is tough through it till then
    yeah, id rather do 500 classquests following one quest line than 50 classquests, and then 450 random quests that have nothing to do with the "movie" as i explained earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post

b) Having lots and lots of sidequests is awesome. I leveled 2 chars to 50, and have another at 30, and still discover new quests on every planet.
    Actually, I found Cata questing much more engaging and fun than SWTOR... SWTOR quests may be fully voiced, but they are rather bland and boring overall. From what I saw, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mostly liked the class quests too. The issue for me was that they were not nearly as much of the content as originally implied. Each of the eight classes have their own "class stories" but that ends up being only about ten percent of the content. The world stories and "extras" are nice the first time or two through, but they are identical for four of the eight classes and make up the other ninety percent of the content in this game.

The original poster is hardly alone in his opinion. I quickly lost count of how often players three four or more levels under the "recommended" would ask for help with a class quest. They tried to PvP or Space Combat instead of having to do the world quests and side quests because they only wanted to do "their" story.

As most of my servers got lighter I resorted to beating the crap out of my space bar during dialog, since I was bored with tiny 8v8 instanced PvP nor would the queue pop very often and I found the "Space Combat" insulting.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-03-13 at 01:59 PM.

Deleted
    yeah, id rather do 500 classquests following one quest line than 50 classquests, and then 450 random quests that have nothing to do with the "movie" as i explained earlier.
    I see your point, but my first level 50 was my trooper, and doing the side quests to help the republic secure different worlds felt kind of like a main quest for trooper. Although saying that i could see how doing things like that on say, a smuggler would seem abit less relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post

Pretty much this. It sounds more like the OP has trouble multitasking his quest log or something. Maybe he just doesn't like leveling at all but then that brings up the question why play an MMO at all.

Either way, I disagree with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    A whole lot of side quests are a story of their own and usually are part of a story line for a designated planet. They aren't just random side quests although they do exist as well.

Deleted
    Maybe it's just me, but i find knowing that i've already done certain side quests (got a 50 consular and leveled and JK to 10 last night and the quests didn't bore me at all as i could clearly remember the story to everyone) that it makes for a quicker levelling experience as you know exactly what to do...where to go (although it does tell you on map) and can just spacebar through conversations. But that's my opinion.*

This exactly, the Class quests were amazing but If I only did those everything would be too high lvl for me when I went to do the next area's class quests, unless I did a bunch of really dumb side quests. I also really loved the Space Missions but you only got decent XP from them once per day. Then it would be back to lame quests, or pvp, which you always get owned as republic, so losing every time you get almost no XP and its not very fun.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.