Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Have you ever been locked for logging in from a different location

Apparently Blizzard does not want to log in from other locations. I knew this already from an out of state holiday, but today my dad got locked for being down the street. They would not unlock the damn thing until he made a huge deal about it (the man does not like password resets).

So who's had this happen?
    How far from your usual log in location were you?
    Did you have to reset your password?

P.S. My father is still in full "may never play WoW again" mode btw and I can't completely blame him remebering every little password ya got hard enough without having to change them all the time

Edit: No one's going to answer my question?
    Last edited by kage; 2012-03-02 at 03:41 AM.

Yes. Just had to log into Battle.net and change my password. Was able to log in from that location from thereon without problems.

If I recall, pretty sure I got an automated e-mail from Blizzard regarding the lock as well, so if you have one, it's probably legit.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are forced to change your password. Sucks for people who use VPNs due to an oppressive censorship-happy resnet.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    Yes. Just had to log into Battle.net and change my password. Was able to log in from that location from thereon without problems.

If I recall, pretty sure I got an automated e-mail from Blizzard regarding the lock as well, so if you have one, it's probably legit.
    I'm not asking if it's legit I'm asking of it's common.

Yep I got locked once when logging in from a motel - using my mobile phone as my modem. 10min and a password reset later and it was sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashfist View Post
    Yep I got locked once when logging in from a motel - using my mobile phone as my modem. 10min and a password reset later and it was sorted.
    Has it done that on trips since?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. I spent two weeks in the hospital with pneumonia, and I got locked for logging in from the hospital's wifi. (Hey, what ELSE was I gonna do while I was stuck in bed for two weeks, watch the nine crappy TV channels on the hospital's cable?) But yeah, one password reset and I was good to go.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    Yep. Happens from time to time if you play from a lot of different locations.

I was locked and actually had to call their support line to get it unlocked once. Was a pain in the ass, but I guess I'll be thankful for it if somebody ever hacks me.

I got locked when I changed computers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I occasionally get issues when logging form my GF's place, since they use a dynamic IP, wow reckons i'm logging in from all over Britain.

Basically Blizz thinks some pro 1337 hax0r is logging in your account, since it's no-where near where you usually live, and lock you down till you can confirm your account is safe.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

My account gets locked every time i try to login from a different computer, it can be the neighbours pc or anything, the only time I did NOT get locked was when I logged on while on my vacation in LA, I live in sweden so thats basically on the other side of the planet.. Doesnt seem to happen now that I have an authenticator tho which is great.

Yes. Living in Norway, had to work a couple of times in Scotland. No problems logging in in Scotland, but when I came back, my account was locked and I had to change password. This happened every time, and I have an authenticator.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to have to travel a lot for work, so, yes.

I live in Texas.

The closest "different" location was St Eustatius in the Caribbean.

The farthest "different" location was Okpo, South Korea.

I never had decent enough access when offshore Nigeria and Angola, but I'm sure they would been the same.

Yes, it's a nuisance, but, meh.

Out of curiosity, how many of you use authenticators? I change location all the time, but have never been locked out, and i mean i even log on sometimes with my wires 3g dongle while on the train to check my mail box

10+ Year Old Account
    happens to my friend EVERY time he comes down to stay for a few days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it happens to me every so often. And its really annoying because I play from 1 of 2 locations and I play regularly at both of them so its not like I'm logging in at a hotel or other network that it has never seen on my account. When I do play on the road or from another place and it happens then I'm not surprised and even though its a little time consuming its not a bad security feature. But having it happen every couple of months from one of the 2 places I play at all the time? That's dumb in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaga View Post
    I occasionally get issues when logging form my GF's place, since they use a dynamic IP, wow reckons i'm logging in from all over Britain.

Basically Blizz thinks some pro 1337 hax0r is logging in your account, since it's no-where near where you usually live, and lock you down till you can confirm your account is safe.
    What I wanna know is if you are hacked and they have your e-mail couldn't they change your password to unlock it? Then your unlocked to a hacker and don't know "your" password. why not just have the standard safety questions instead of the reset is there a reason?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's supposed to be an extra layer of security to your account. The only thing I wish they'd change about it, however, is making the system recognize that there's an authenticator attached to the account and disregard you changing locations. (I have an authenticator and lockouts have happened to me)

I've had it happen to me plenty of times. I go from my home, to Starbucks, to school and it will sometimes lock my account. While it is sometimes annoying, it only takes five minutes to reset the PW to something else then change it back again. I usually only log on from home now (trying to focus more on school and such while I'm away from home) so I don't really see this anymore.

Also, a router/modem reset could also prompt a lock.
    Last edited by Hanto; 2012-03-02 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many of you use authenticators? I change location all the time, but have never been locked out, and i mean i even log on sometimes with my wires 3g dongle while on the train to check my mail box
    I'd lose it in about a day... for the next three months... at least.