Thread: Auto Balancing

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Honestly, it makes sense to me to stick to one basic core design for the hot join PvP, but add in unique mechanics to each map to still make it different. In WoW, I never liked SotA or IoC. They moved too far away from actually playing your character, and focused too much on siege weapons. It's a neat and unique concept, but it just doesn't work. I didn't like the new Cata BGs either, simply because they're only smaller-sized versions of maps they already have, with nothing new or unique about it besides having it on a different map.

So I'm eager to see what ANet can come up with.
    I was actually ok with battle of Gilneas because it did reduce the points, and have the giant river cutting through it, which for a druid made an excellent place to use water form to ambush people lol, ah glyph of makes water faster then ground mounts, how i loved you...

I was also ok with SotA and IoC, but i do feel they focused to much on killing npcs with no way of actual PVP going on... like IoC had ~5 minutes of pvp at the beginning when everyone zerged mid, maybe a little at the docks, then the rest was kill gates/siege engines/run bombs. I really hope that WvW really takes the siege engine aspect and the actual pvp aspect in a nice sexy mix of awesome, i have faith you Anet don't fail me now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I hope there won't be a deserter debuff. Stupidest idea ever.

Maybe a debuff is you frequently leave BGs, but the system in WoW is just terrible. Tor doesn't have any deserter debuffs, and the warzones are just fine.
    Lol.

Seriously though, a shutout is no fun, no matter which side you're on. Unless of course you're a terrible person. I can't otherwise explain the mentality of people who are unsportsmanlike in a video game. I especially hate it when they justify it with "We're at war!" No, you aren't. You're playing a game. Be respectful!

WoW does not auto-balance a Horde player to the Alliance when somebody leaves a BG...

LoL does not move you from the blue team to purple just because two people left purple team...

/facepalm

Oh so your saying wow doesn't bring in a new player once someone leaves a bg. Thats auto-balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    This right here explains why I think people are stupid for thinking "non p2p games will have bad communities"
    I love ANets stance on the community, they really don't take any shit. If you are harassing someone you will get temp banned and possibly perma depending on the offense. WoW is like, the shittiest community in online gaming because everyone gets away with whatever.

Also when you get banned in guild wars 1 this guy shows up and owns you with his scythe lol it's awesome to watch it happen to people and I really hope they carry it over to GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gmike View Post
    /facepalm

Oh so your saying wow doesn't bring in a new player once someone leaves a bg. Thats auto-balancing.
    That's not auto-balancing. Read the actual thread.

Auto-balancing means forcefully dragging a player from the opposing team to join yours when enough players leave.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

That's not auto-balancing. Read the actual thread.

Auto-balancing means forcefully dragging a player from the opposing team to join yours when enough players leave.
    That is... amazing... I remember another game used to have a grim reaper type character do that as well. Forgot which one though.
    EDIT:
    Ultima Online! That's right.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

It seems like to me, all that needs to be done is to make it so that finishing a lost game rewards ~75% of what finishing a won game rewards and make an abandoned game worth nothing. Since GW2 battles are relatively short, leaving halfway through a lot game and then joining another game and winning will get you 133% of the reward in 150% of the time as compared to just staying in a lost game. Or leaving whenever you are losing might result in never getting any reward.

When PvP is hot joinable there is no need for a deserter debuff of any kind. It's a system that works just fine. Take a look at TF2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shufflepants View Post
    It seems like to me, all that needs to be done is to make it so that finishing a lost game rewards ~75% of what finishing a won game rewards and make an abandoned game worth nothing. Since GW2 battles are relatively short, leaving halfway through a lot game and then joining another game and winning will get you 133% of the reward in 150% of the time as compared to just staying in a lost game. Or leaving whenever you are losing might result in never getting any reward.
    Not enough people will do the math to realize that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    No not ok with it. I don't wanna work with a team just to be drafted to the one I am working against. That kills the immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    No not ok with it. I don't wanna work with a team just to be drafted to the one I am working against. That kills the immersion.
    PvP really isn't that immersive to begin with. Everybody is supposed to be on the same side, yet you still kill each other in PvP. Doesn't really make sense no matter how you look at it. If you want immersion, there's a whole lot of other content built for that.

Not doing math

Not enough people will do the math to realize that.
    They don't have to do the math. They will see a rough estimate of "oh, i get about this much when i win", "I get just a little less when i lose but still try", and "oh i get absolutely nothing if i leave early".

Besides, those numbers are only applicable if they leave exactly half way through the game. But if games only last 15 minutes, the difference between max reward and zero reward is a lot, where the difference between 7.5 minutes and +/- 5 minutes is not.
    Last edited by Shufflepants; 2012-03-06 at 04:06 AM.

Guys I think most of you are missing the point of this thread. Im not really concerned about the reward loss from switching teams. I am a very competitive player and I like to win. It will get very frustraiting when my skills as a player force another player to leave the game and then I am the one that gets switched to the losing team. If you think about it, I basically screwed myself by playing good.

Do you guys understand?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valek View Post
    Guys I think most of you are missing the point of this thread. Im not really concerned about the reward loss from switching teams. I am a very competitive player and I like to win. It will get very frustraiting when my skills as a player force another player to leave the game and then I am the one that gets switched to the losing team. If you think about it, I basically screwed myself by playing good.

Do you guys understand?
    No, because you didn't screw yourself from being good for multiple reasons 1) you may not even get switched over 2) they were going to quit if things even SEEMED like they were going bad because their, for a lack of a better description, a little bitch.

I personally pvp for the blood shed, i want a challenge, i want to go up against the other players and DESTROY THEM, idc how i do it so long as it gets done, i personally would jump at the opportunity to join the worse team because i'm not going to get a challenge fighting them, so might as well betray the one i'm on!!

PS: This is coming from the guy who faction changed to alliance in wow because they all sucked in pvp (at least on my realm)
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by solarbear View Post
    They could steal some ideas from League of Legends.
    In LOL, if you leave you can not join until the game is over and get a penalty (like deserter flag) put on.
    Also, you can report players for afk and if they get a bunch they could accrue a ban... would suggest 12,24,36,48 hours (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th offense).

Since most people will be playing 5v5, it might not end up being a big deal, most of the time.
    To be honest, LoLs banning system really sucks.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvv9V...feature=relmfu

Check at 8.43 when the games end , and the sheet/report of the match show up .
    He got Points/Score based of the Objectives > Points Captures + NCP defeted + Players killed > And 0 for winning
    Get a little the chill pill > Have fun > Choose whaterver team u want , even the looser team > Collect the points urself , without to worry if ur team sux , or if the system place u in the looser team .
    This system works great vs AFKs too
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-03-06 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    When PvP is hot joinable there is no need for a deserter debuff of any kind. It's a system that works just fine. Take a look at TF2.
    The system in TF2 is far from fine. I hate building an awesome defense as engineer only to be switched to the other team and having all my hard work taken away. It's not fair for your old team because you are no longer providing that defense that they expect. Or when I'm the one to score the briefcase twice and then get switched over to the other team just to lose because I died 10 feet away from bringing in the third one. Sometimes it is good because you know the other teams defenses and you could use that knowledge to your advantage, but that is rare.

I've even been on the loosing team, just to be switched to the winning team right before the game ends. Yay!

TF2 is just a silly game that you can't take seriously, because of that the system doesn't work for everything. A deserter debuff of some kind is needed in some games to stop people from popping in, looking at the score, then dropping back out without trying. WoWs method is OK, but not perfect.
    Last edited by Ogretron; 2012-03-06 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvv9V...feature=relmfu

Check at 8.43 when the games end , and the sheet/report of the match show up .
    He got Points/Score based of the Objectives > Points Captures + NCP defeted + Players killed > And 0 for winning
    Get a little the chill pill > Have fun > Choose whaterver team u want , even the looser team > Collect the points urself , without to worry if ur team sux , or if the system place u in the looser team .
    This system works great vs AFKs too
    If that's the case, maybe the lame-asses that leave matches early will realize very quickly that you don't get points from winning and will realize it's not worth it to leave early?

No need for auto-balancing if winning gives no points, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    No, because you didn't screw yourself from being good for multiple reasons 1) you may not even get switched over 2) they were going to quit if things even SEEMED like they were going bad because their, for a lack of a better description, a little bitch.

I personally pvp for the blood shed, i want a challenge, i want to go up against the other players and DESTROY THEM, idc how i do it so long as it gets done, i personally would jump at the opportunity to join the worse team because i'm not going to get a challenge fighting them, so might as well betray the one i'm on!!

PS: This is coming from the guy who faction changed to alliance in wow because they all sucked in pvp (at least on my realm)
    ^This. I joined Alliance for the same reason. I'd rather fight on the under-dog side. I like a challenge.

Some people in this thread don't seem to understand that this auto-balance feature is a Worst scenario function to help balance teams when a person leaves. It's not all the time someone leaves a BG. And it's not a big deal if it were you to get picked to join the other side, it works both ways sometimes you'll get picked to join the winning team cause Winning teams do get leavers or AFK'ers too. Some people like myself prioritise Real life over my Game life. So if i have a important thing to intend to then the game will be left and my char will be Leaving that BG whether im winning or not.

Deleted
    No need for auto-balancing if winning gives no points, either.
    What fun, for both sides, is there in a 3v5? It's better to make it a 4v4 then imo. Or add people for a 5v5 again.