View Poll Results: Is it socially acceptable to be fat?

Voters
502. This poll is closed
  • Yes

113 22.51%
  • No

200 39.84%
  • Yes, but...

124 24.70%
  • No, but...

65 12.95%
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Man that's incredibly bigoted. For the first time in my life I'm hoping legislation against someone's bullshit gets passed.

And this is coming from someone who opposes pretty much every federal law on the books.
    Just ignore him. He clearly knows nothing about caste systems so his point means nothing.
    Keep The Beats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    Did you even read the definitions?

Any preconceived opinion or feeling, whether positive or negative.
    Did you?

He was not talking about it being preconceived. You can think being fat is disgusting without it being prejudice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Firstly, you don't need to go to the gym to be fit or healthy. You need to eat properly.
    Secondly, just because fast food is cheap and convenient, does not mean it's the cheapest source of food.
    Thirdly, most people are fat because they are lazy and/or stupid, or at the very least uninformed.
    Fourth, the whole "time issue" is bullshit. It takes 10 minutes to whip up a healthy meal. Fat fucks spend at least ten times that waddling around at half the speed of others all day... not to mention the time it takes to get fast food.
    Fifth, there are legitimate reasons for being overweight. Some people do have metabolism or glandular issues that cause, or are a factor in, their weight issues. That being said, most fatties are fat because they eat shit, not because of medical issues.
    Sixth, PIZZA IS NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE. FOR FUCK SAKE. FOR FUCK SAKE.

As to the question of "Is it Discriminatory...?"
    Yes, it is. Treating someone differently based on their weight is 100% discriminatory.
    Letting in be known that fatties need to eat healthy and stop bitching about being fatties? Jury's still out on that one.

As an aside, "Discrimination", as viewed and defined by the general public, pisses me off.
    How is it ok to call someone too skinny, but not ok to call them too fat?
    How is it ok to judge someone based on their hair colour, but not their skin colour?

People are dumbasses.
    Fatties are fat. Eat healthy, you dumbfucks. Pizza is NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE.
    Could you tell me that part about pizza again?

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Fatties are fat. Eat healthy, you dumbfucks. Pizza is NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE.
    I lol'd, so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Did you?

He was not talking about it being preconceived. You can think being fat is disgusting without it being prejudice.
    It what way is it not preconceived? Thanks for trying to justify bigotry.
    Keep The Beats!

I'd rather die at 70 and enjoyed everything I could out of life, then die at 80 and feel every day is a struggle because I can only eat crutons and lettace. Imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Live your own life, don't worry about how other people treat their own bodies

Also, everyone is entitled to their opinions but sharing them out loud, shaming someone on purpose, yeah that's wrong
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Just ignore him. He clearly knows nothing about caste systems so his point means nothing.
    I feel safe writing him off knowing that being thinner than me is probably the only advantage in life he has over me.

Deleted
    Some groups of people took the statement "genetics contributes to body size" and made it "derp genetics made me fat".
    Indeed, I fucking HATE that.

In the Netherlands, obese women use this phrase to defend themselves: Een maatje meer hebben.= having a size more.

Maatje= size , actually maat is size, but they added 'je' because it is used to make things seems smaller.

Then I think: Fine 1 size, not 10 sizes.

So ignorant...

fat people look gross to me. The discrimination begins when I treat them poorly because of my repulsion. That is what I can control, so that is what I avoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I'm going to be honest and speak the brutal truth. If you don't agree. Deal with it.

Fat people are disgusting, they are a drain on society. When you're fat and living on healthcare or picking up welfare checks, they are literally taking peoples hard earned money and using it to buy more unhealthy junk to put in their corpulent bodies. While children in LDCs are starving, these people shove food by the handful down their throats like there is no worry in the world. It's disgusting. It actually makes me seek to be walking in the mall and seeing somebody who is bursting out of their already size 32 jeans. Fat rolls on both sides, fat dripping off their arms.

Sorry guys, but you cannot deny that it is repulsive to give little care about your body. I'm sure all these people WISH they could look better and be skinny. Well, you can, it's called eating healthy, seeing a doctor, taking your vitamins. Stop visiting good old McDonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner for your $1 whopper and large side of fries. Pigs.

10+ Year Old Account
    It what way is it not preconceived? Thanks for trying to justify bigotry.
    Bigotry, racism, prejudice, discrimination, these are all being thrown around so much by people that do not understand them that they are losing their weight.

Fat, as in being overweight or obese, can be considered disgusting. It is not a matter of it being a broad spectrum preconceived notion about the people that are fat, but it is about the status of being fat. For example: if I thought all black people were idiots that could be argued as prejudice. However, if I was to argue that black skin is not attractive or revolting, that is not prejudice but it is an opinion. I am assuming that the person you were arguing against is operating under the assumption that he has seen obese individuals before, and he believes that the fat folds running off them are disgusting, so no, it is not prejudice. He wasn't saying fat people are dumbasses, he was saying being fat is nasty. One is trying to pass an opinion off as fact, the other is passing an opinion off as one's own opinion and nothing more.
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    fat people look gross to me. The discrimination begins when I treat them poorly because of my repulsion. That is what I can control, so that is what I avoid.
    I always wonder, what are you disgusted by?

Overweight people who can still run, walk, jump climb etc.

Or like the really obese ones?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    I don't like when overweight people start with the excuses :

-I have bad metabolism!
    -My body has betrayed me!
    -It's in my genes, I can't do anything about it!
    -I can't get any muscles because it's my metabodygenelism!

And so on.
    I'm overweight because I'm lazy...find it rather sad people seek excuses for them being fat. And the worst thing is, only a very small group of people can't help it...but with 99% of them just making excuses it becomes hard to know who those people are with the real problems.

Eh. Some people have issues with weight, ie diabetics, women who recently gave birth, thyroid issues etc...but when you are past the point of obese you have no one to blame but yourself. When I see people who weigh 400+ lbs, riding around on a rascal, and getting 10+ slices of pizza at the Pizza Hut buffet, it is pretty hard to have any sympathy.

The ones I do have sympathy for are children who are morbidly obese, because fat lazy parents stuff their faces with McNuggets and Pepsi, and the only exercise they get are their thumbs on a PS3 controller.

Maybe it's because as a child I was forced to go outside and play, and I didn't get to eat a cookie if I didn't eat my corn and green beans. I rarely got fast food, and it was a special occasion if I was allowed to drink soda. Honestly though, how hard is it to encourage and teach kids to lead at least a semi-healthy lifestyle, rather than fast food and soda all day long.
    Last edited by cherb; 2012-03-05 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Bigotry, racism, prejudice, discrimination, these are all being thrown around so much by people that do not understand them that they are losing their weight.

Fat, as in being overweight or obese, can be considered disgusting. It is not a matter of it being a broad spectrum preconceived notion about the people that are fat, but it is about the status of being fat. For example: if I thought all black people were idiots that could be argued as prejudice. However, if I was to argue that black skin is not attractive or revolting, that is not prejudice but it is an opinion. I am assuming that the person you were arguing against is operating under the assumption that he has seen obese individuals before, and he believes that the fat folds running off them are disgusting, so no, it is not prejudice. He wasn't saying fat people are dumbasses, he was saying being fat is nasty. One is trying to pass an opinion off as fact, the other is passing an opinion off as one's own opinion and nothing more.
    You keep contradicting yourself to justify what you are saying...
    Keep The Beats!

I'm more than fine with people being a plump 200ish. That is not obese in my books. People like that are fine, they may not be eating salads for every meal, but those are the kind of people who know to watch their weight, eat healthy when they diet, go for a morning jog and stay fit. The ones who get >300 though...thats repulsive.

A 250 kg woman with her tits under her armpits, mayonnaise on every square cm of her body, sweating and heaving like a pig, unwashed, smelly, with moss growing on her thighs because she can't reach there to wash it with the rag she uses to wash her body?

No, it's beautiful...

To clarify, it's not discrimination until they stop receiving goods and services because of their weight.
    Last edited by Overthink; 2012-03-05 at 11:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    I'm more than fine with people being a plump 200ish. That is not obese in my books. People like that are fine, they may not be eating salads for every meal, but those are the kind of people who know to watch their weight, eat healthy when they diet, go for a morning jog and stay fit. The ones who get >300 though...thats repulsive.
    Ah ok, pfew, 200 with a belly. Safe zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep contradicting yourself to justify what you are saying...
    Would you like to elaborate or are you going to continue to argue with one sentence replies devoid of any kind of logos?