Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizark View Post
    Honestly that doesn't sound so bad.... If you're aware of what is going to happen to you, and still have complete control over your body then the easy way out is still an option in that scenario. Ofc if you don't go that route, then this sounds like the worst form of torture, but I thought the human brain couldn't last more than a few weeks without sleep. Does this disease do something to keep the brain going?
    Apparently you can (for at least part of the disease) reach the earlier stages of sleep, while the latter stages are the vital ones for staying alive and "rejuvenating" the body etc.

Also, while saying "I would opt out by suicide" it doesn't really diminish the horrendous nature of the disease simply because you chose not to experience the latter part of it. You could also commit suicide 20 mins after being diagnosed with ebola; it's still a shitty disease tho.

Quote Originally Posted by pzijderv View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyotro...eral_sclerosis

is the most scary as far as i know, slowly losing all muscle function. this means your brain is fully functional within ur body that u cant move, after a long time u cant walk, use your arms or even speak. then at the very end you die because ur heart muscle for instance becomes to weak
    My mother died from this. I almost consider it a curse from whatever gods happen to be out there. You could literally see the fear in her eyes once she couldn't move or talk, once she required aid to even breath. I never thought it possible to physically see so much suffering in somebody without them being able to do more than look at you(and towards the end she wasn't even able to do that.)

I would much sooner acquire a disease that strips me of the ability to sleep. But I suppose I may be somewhat biased.

I was told about that disease during highschool years and years ago. It's pretty crazy the kinds of stuff in this world.

Deleted
    While Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva and Fatal familial insomnia are pretty horriffic you can at least end it yourself. Thats what I would do for sure.

Dying from Ebola or Rabies for that matter while much faster are simply god awful for the little time you do have. Sure theres a chance you can survive Ebola and Rabies has been treated with induced coma (with a very low success rate) but to die literally from hydrophobia or as others have put it having your internal organs turn to goo is really rather nasty.

If you were told you had Ebola you could top yourself but you do have about a 10% chance of survival. With Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva and Fatal familial insomnia will kill you sooner or later. If you told me I had a 10% chance of surviving I'd take it I think over being entombed in my own body or going mad and ultimately dying from the inability to sleep over 18 months.
    Last edited by mmoc2a5f714448; 2012-03-08 at 08:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirias View Post
    My mother died from this. I almost consider it a curse from whatever gods happen to be out there. You could literally see the fear in her eyes once she couldn't move or talk, once she required aid to even breath. I never thought it possible to physically see so much suffering in somebody without them being able to do more than look at you(and towards the end she wasn't even able to do that.)

I would much sooner acquire a disease that strips me of the ability to sleep. But I suppose I may be somewhat biased.
    That sounds utterly and completely terrible; I'm sorry for your loss.

Deleted
    I forward: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontan...man_combustion

Your insides burning alive. It's incredibly strange as well; in the majority of cases, the victims are reduced to ash, with limbs being left behind; but nothing near the person is ever more than slightly burnt; however, wax candles across the room have sometimes melted.

They also did experiments with human flesh; it would take temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees C to even begin to get close to reducing the body to ash.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhyde1986 View Post
    While Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva and Fatal familial insomnia are pretty horriffic you can at least end it yourself. Thats what I would do for sure.
    Still, almost any disease is off the "shit that disease sucks"-list if you can just opt out through suicide and don't have to go through the symptoms of it.

Reading stuff like this really makes you cherish your health. If i don't get enough sleep it feels like the top of my brain is on fire, its not like a fever but it burns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    I forward: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontan...man_combustion

Your insides burning alive. It's incredibly strange as well; in the majority of cases, the victims are reduced to ash, with limbs being left behind; but nothing near the person is ever more than slightly burnt; however, wax candles across the room have sometimes melted.

They also did experiments with human flesh; it would take temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees C to even begin to get close to reducing the body to ash.
    And two of the suggested scenarios being "ghost or divine intervention" or "raised levels of blood alcohol". C'mon man :P at least FFI is a legit disease.

Incinerated in seconds <<< dying slowly over years imo!

Deleted
    I doubt you'll make it 6 months or even 30 months, since your organs will shut down pretty quickly eventually.
    A healthy human can stay awake around 11 days, before it gets life-threatening.

Thats why they took it out in guinness world records, cuz thats what it is...life-threatening.

Ive managed 80 Hours on a LAN Party.
    Then i saw pink flying Elephants, and crushed afterwards sleeping 30+ Hours nonstop.

It felt like a LSD Trip really.

Deleted
    And two of the suggested scenarios being "ghost or divine intervention" or "raised levels of blood alcohol". C'mon man :P at least FFI is a legit disease.

Incinerated in seconds <<< dying slowly over years imo!
    Yeah; lot of conspiracy stuff surrounding it, I still find it fairly interesting however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knopperz View Post
    I doubt you'll make it 6 months or even 30 months, since your organs will shut down pretty quickly eventually.
    A healthy human can stay awake around 11 days, before it gets life-threatening.

Thats why they took it out in guinness world records, cuz thats what it is...life-threatening.
    I don't think this is the complete inability to sleep though, more like the complete inability of getting any serious sleep other than delerious slumberings (the very shallow stages of sleep). Which, I'm not sure is a curse or a gift as - like you say - you'd die very fast without being able to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Psh, ebola man. Ebola.
    Yeah, ebola is the worst. Insomnia disease doesn't sound so bad to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    When I noticed this thread I was going to mention that disease that literally eats your flesh and cause you to basically rot away...while still alive.

But I think this no sleep disease is actually much worse...
    leprosy? i still vote that scariest

Deleted
    Read about a disease that killed your ability to feel, thus you can't walk since you always think you are floating in air etc...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    leprosy? i still vote that scariest
    It's definitely up there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryos View Post
    Read about a disease that killed your ability to feel, thus you can't walk since you always think you are floating in air etc...
    There are many people born without the ability to feel sensation in their skin, usually they end up getting hurt/killed by burning themselves on shit or not realizing that they're bleeding since they feel no pain. I'm pretty sure walking is no problem though. You can still walk on stilts, without feeling the ground - right? It's mostly your sense of balance and eyesight.

Deleted
    Check out Spanish Flu
    It killed 50 million people in 1918...3% of the world's population

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    When I noticed this thread I was going to mention that disease that literally eats your flesh and cause you to basically rot away...while still alive.

But I think this no sleep disease is actually much worse...
    Isn't that lepracy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knopperz View Post
    Check out Spanish Flu
    It killed 50 million people in 1918...3% of the world's population
    I'd take spanish flu over this shit any day of the weak :P Sure, it's a lot more infectious than FFI but not as scary!