Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    They are high priced so they make you to sign a contract to get it cheaper.
    So you are saying these are prices "under contract"?
    They are not the actual prices of the phone, so why list it in the first place?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Most carriers don't even do a contract here anymore. They do some kind of tab based thing. Works out great for the carriers, they can charge way more for cancelling service, and the people think it's better than buying out a contract (which had a buyout cap). -_-

Also, it's server buildin' time!

red panda red panda red panda!

You managed to cover this admirably well. Thanks!
    Is this why most of the American youtubers have all those logos on their phones? Like, carrier branding?
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    The above is the pricing for the iPhone 6 off contract. EU people are still getting paying more than Americans, but not quite as much as it might first appear.
    That's before taking into account all of our other taxes, though! What I wouldn't give to only have 30% taxes. Well, I wouldn't give away any of the benefits, obviously, so I wouldn't actually give anything away. But still.

So all phones' upfront "under contract" costs are the same within the same identical make, even comparing different carriers? I can't say I'm envious over much of your situation in either this or ISPs. :P I have two subscriptions atm from two different carriers, one I'm paying 99 SEK (13.77 USD) for 60 calls (6x more than I need), unlimited texts and 2 GB of data (their smallest plan because of the other sub) and one where I pay 77 SEK (10.71 USD) for unlimited data, but calls+texts cost money. Currently I'm swapping between the two, but I plan to get an Ipad Air 2 and just seed WiFi off of it to my phone since I don't use the unlimited data-sub for anything but data.

It's pretty reasonable as it is. Considering cultural currency into the equation, it's more like 9.99+7.77 USD rather than the actual conversions.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's before taking into account all of our other taxes, though! What I wouldn't give to only have 30% taxes. Well, I wouldn't give away any of the benefits, obviously, so I wouldn't actually give anything away. But still.
    What I wouldn't give for 0% tax. :P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    What I wouldn't give for 0% tax. :P
    And then everything falls apart.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    And then everything falls apart.
    Let me guess, muh roads?

10+ Year Old Account
    ....and I'm just sitting here, getting a free phone worth up to $1000 NZD every 2 years from my ISP. Besides free internet + unlimited data I mean.

*equips shield*

*slowly backs away*
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    ....and I'm just sitting here, getting a free phone worth up to $1000 NZD every 2 years from my ISP. Besides free internet + unlimited data I mean.
    That sounds like a pretty cool deal. Especially for being NZ. I'd think having good non-sheep related deals would be illegal there. : P
    Hold onto it.
    (The deal, not the sheep.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    That sounds like a pretty cool deal.
    Well it's quite a simple deal really - they give me that stuff, and in return I refrain myself from wiping out the core network

Seems fair IMO.

Well it's quite a simple deal really - they give me that stuff, and in return I refrain myself from wiping out the core network

Seems fair IMO.
    Are they aware of them giving you the deal?
    I kid, I kid. I did think IT suffered in Oceania though.

What I think is unreasonable is the continued existence of 16GB phones...

How do people survive with that little storage, especially without a microSD card?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

How do people survive with that little storage, especially without a microSD card?
    Depends what you're doing with your phone and how much space the OS leaves you with. If you're using 99% for apps, calls, texts, games, etc then 16gb is plenty (assuming reasonably-sized mobile games).

If you're like and put entire movies on it then yeah, a 64/128gb microSD card helps :P

Depends what you're doing with your phone and how much space the OS leaves you with. If you're using 99% for apps, calls, texts, games, etc then 16gb is plenty (assuming reasonably-sized mobile games).

If you're like and put entire movies on it then yeah, a 64/128gb microSD card helps :P
    I have over 10GB of music, an offline navigation assistant (because fuck data charges when abroad and you actually need one) which takes up a good 4GB with maps and some movies (because if you're not driving, travelling can get boring). I have about 2GB free on my 32GB card.

Not having SD card expansion with phone storage under 32GB is a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Mobile data. 20mbit/s is enough that I can realistically stream anything I want access to. Between google play/dropbox/etc I just don't need much local storage.
    I pay less for the phone, much more for the cellular service, but I gain the ability to not worry about managing data. I often don't know what data I'm going to want so it's easier to just have access to everything.
    I have to pay an arm and a leg for more than a gigabyte of data, if I can even find a plan that offers more. I also live so close to the border with France that I have to watch out for my phone registering with a French carrier, and thus putting me on a Roaming tariff.

I have the Nexus 4 16 GB, the 8GB is the baseline and 16GB the expanded one. : P The Z2 that I sadly had to replace had an SDcard so it was actually doable.
    As for mobile data/cloud storage, I don't care how fast it is, most people don't have unlimited data.

Of my two plans, the 2GB dataplan is only 3G so I get 25-32Mbit realistic speeds, which hardly is enough to transfer anything if I'm not sitting still; HSPA doesn't work well while moving.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19421-asus-slapper-overklockningsbart-moderkort-for-tva-processorer-och-upp-till-36-karnor

I have the Nexus 4 16 GB, the 8GB is the baseline and 16GB the expanded one. : P The Z2 that I sadly had to replace had an SDcard so it was actually doable.
    As for mobile data/cloud storage, I don't care how fast it is, most people don't have unlimited data.

Of my two plans, the 2GB dataplan is only 3G so I get 25-32Mbit realistic speeds, which hardly is enough to transfer anything if I'm not sitting still; HSPA doesn't work well while moving.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/194...till-36-karnor
    Obligatory: will it make your computer run Crysis?

Fuck me, you can overclock on it too?!

15+ Year Old Account
    I have over 10GB of music, an offline navigation assistant (because fuck data charges when abroad and you actually need one) which takes up a good 4GB with maps and some movies (because if you're not driving, travelling can get boring). I have about 2GB free on my 32GB card.

Not having SD card expansion with phone storage under 32GB is a deal breaker for me.
    I have a 64GB card in my HTC one and it's almost full... @_@

because if you're not driving, travelling can get boring
    I may or may not have an old Nexus 7 which may or may not fit perfectly into the instrument cluster of an MK3 Ford Focus, which may or may not have been really handy to wa- err, listen to Star Trek Voyager reruns on during a possible road trip to Boston, MA.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Let me guess, muh roads?
    That's no guess, that's a reality. I'm so sick of driving down the roads, especially after last winter, and they still haven't been repaired! They're taking their sweet merry time.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19421-asus-slapper-overklockningsbart-moderkort-for-tva-processorer-och-upp-till-36-karnor
    No clue why that link didn't open in a new tab but rather forwarded this tab, weird.

Anyways, can I get a holy shit? O_O
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

So I just found out this week I need to learn how to make/edit shockwave videos for work. What's a good program to get started with? I also need to be able to make videos into gifs.

10+ Year Old Account

cloud, i put my entire music collection on itunes match, my iphone is only 16gb but has access to over 2tb of music