The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish my computer wasn't in my cold as shit basement, it would help tremendously.

And yes folks, by cold, I mean it's barely 60 F / 15.56 C down here. It might be a bit above that, but trust me, not by much. My motherboard temperature reading in BIOS the other day DID tell me "18 C"... sooooo... that tells you Delta is at least that, if not lower. Fuck. x_x
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Warmer than my bedroom in the winter

(not a joke, it is sub-10°C in the winter. It is 17° now.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Warmer than my bedroom in the winter

(not a joke, it is sub-10°C in the winter. It is 17° now.)
    Fug!

Don't your hands get cold?
    "A flower.

My mouse is quite warm. My keyboard.. Not so much. Other times I spend time with blankets or in the kitchen or dining room where there are much more pleasant temperatures. Though I have to interact with flat mates. Dilemma.

Nah, I use my computer to ramp up the temperature with furmark. Gets it to livable conditions as long as it isn't too cold outside. I think I can hold off on buying a radiator until next winter.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mouse is quite warm. My keyboard.. Not so much. Other times I spend time with blankets or in the kitchen or dining room where there are much more pleasant temperatures. Though I have to interact with flat mates. Dilemma.

Nah, I use my computer to ramp up the temperature with furmark. Gets it to livable conditions as long as it isn't too cold outside. I think I can hold off on buying a radiator until next winter.
    Any heat I create with my computer is going into a very large room in the basement and seems to dissipate before it can really accumulate. =/ I've considered taking my computer up to my bedroom, but there's really no good room for my desk and then I'd DEFINITELY be on WiFi, which I'd highly prefer not to be. >_<
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Donating blood they had a question about “rare blood type”. They asked if they could have my “ethnicity” on file. Choices we things like “Africa” “south Asia” “India/Pakistan”, “Middle East” and “white”
    I don’t know why, but that feels like a category error.
    Huh... that seems absurdly short and not specific.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12520...laxy-s9-review

Okay... what the hell happened with M3. Was one of the more interesting cores but also a massive disappointment. Not so much what the hell cause there's a lot of explanation, but still. It really is a geekbench bot.
    Some driver or calibration issues though on the 845, seems like a one off since no one else got it it seems.

Either way I'm waiting for 5G.

@evn what are the regulation processes anyways for guns in Canada?
    Projectile sports have always interested, especially archery but never really had much time to do it.
    Also hope it's found cause guns on loose is bad... (input not shit sherlock here)
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-03-26 at 10:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    There are a whole bunch of weird quirks that we can skip over: the details of the law honestly take weeks or even months of study because there are lots of little non-obvious things. Still, you can get 90% of the regulations with this:
    • Rifles and shotguns are 'non-restricted'. You can carry these in the passenger seat of your car or over your shoulder if you like. If you leave your gun in your car, make sure it's out-of-sight. When you go to bed just remember to take the bolt out and toss it on the floor beside the unloaded gun and you're not doing anything illegal. Everyone is more responsible than this, but that's the legal requirement. These firearms are not tracked by the government.
    • Short barrelled rifles and pistols are 'restricted'. You can only use these at shooting range, can't take them anywhere but to the range or gun smith, and have to transport/store them behind two locks. Unlike 'non-restricted' firearms, 'restricted' guns are registered to a particular owner and the government keeps track of who owns them, though you can lend them to friends if like.
    • Machine guns and very small pistols are prohibited but if you owned one 20 years ago or you inherit one from a family member then you can have it. There's no other way to get a license to get one of those.
    • Things like airsoft, crossbows, bb guns etc. don't count as firearms. Neither do 'large bore' weapons (like a 6-pounder cannon) and guns made before 1900 (e.g. Colt Single-Action Army). Anybody can own those and do whatever they like with them: there are no regulations on them but finding one is hard. I've been after an M203 40mm launcher just to say I have one but they're rare and expensive ($5000+). Everyone is more responsible than carrying a grenade launcher around. In principle you wouldn't be breaking a law but that won't stop you from ending up in court and wasting money before being found not-guilty.
    • Magazines for centre-fire guns are restricted to 10 round magazines. Rim fire and manually cycled guns don't have that restriction. (roughly, again there are some quirks and loopholes but that's good enough for a first approximation).

Depending on whether you want non-restricted or restricted guns you'll need to have an appropriate license to own them legally. Each license requires a ~2-day training corse, a written exam and a couple of practical exams. The content of the course includes your legal obligations, safe handling, basic functioning of firearms, ammo, ballistics, and some info on how to shoot. The purpose of the course is safety, not making you an expert marksmen or hunter. The paperwork for a license costs around $100 to file, looks a lot like a citizenship application, takes a minimum of 45 days, and includes a criminal and mental-health background check along with some additional things like checking with your ex-wife and making sure you haven't been fired lately.

Assuming your license is granted you'll have a criminal background check run every day for the rest of your life and if you're suspected of violent crime (or reported for suicidal behaviour, etc) you can expect a visit from the police and they'll take your license/guns until you're cleared and back in good standing. As you can imagine this sort of arrangement leads to the bizarre fact that licensed firearms owners in Canada are less likely to shoot another person than a cop and are 1/3 as likely to be charged with any crime than a 'normal person'. It makes sense when you consider what a pain it is to get a license and the fact that it's expensive enough to keep 'poor people' out of the hobby which skews the demographics. Owning guns doesn't make you a 'safer' person, but only 'safe' people can legally own guns here so the statistics reflect that.

Once you have a license, you present it to a store and can buy whatever category of guns you're licensed to own. You can also buy ammo, and certain kinds of explosives with that license too. That license also allows you to teach other people to shoot, work in gun stores, manufacture/3d-print firearms from scratch, buy/sell and import (though the USA has additional restrictions on export so it's not that easy and most people use a broker) too. Every 5 years you have to renew the license.
    Ooohhh, that's not bad. Could always go stricter like in Japan. Which honestly only adds like two more layer of requirement.
    It's actually not so much strict as it is that you need to be dedicated. Sign up for a sports / hunting club, a law enforcement interview, multiple day training, deep background check, mental health evaluation, written and competency test of 95% accuracy or higher. No small firearms, only shotguns and rifles allowed, basically nothing concealable. The test is required every 3 years. Before purchasing the gun you want you have to have a proper and approved lock box and a waiting period iirc. Once owner is deceased gun is forfeit basically.
    It's also funny how law enforcement roll people up in a futon burrito if they get too rowdy cause they don't really need to worry about guns.

Also kind of odd though that grenade launchers of all things aren't restricted.
    I keep a standing offer open to friends: I'll take you out to the range and buy your first boxes of ammo provided you agree to learn to the safety rules. We live beside the USA where 1/3 of people own a gun, and in Canada about 1/6 of houses have a legal gun owner (and some estimates that up to twice that many own guns illegally, though I doubt that). I'm happy to spend a couple hundred bucks on ammo and a few hours to teach somebody how to be around guns safely. I don't care if you leave and still think we should ban all firearms or something. I just want people to have basic knowledge so they don't get hurt. If you decide you enjoy shooting-sports; great, but I'm not looking to evangelize for the hobby and I'm happy to keep it to myself unless somebody asks or otherwise expresses some interest. I also think sharing firearms with people who don't like guns might help us pass "good laws": so many gun-control proponents advocate for terrible laws because they don't know enough to identify bad ideas nor how to design a good law. With more knowledge I think they'll join me in supporting laws and programs that can improve safety / reduce harm instead of wasting money on things that sound good but won't be effective.

It's like learning to swim when you live beside the ocean, I don't care if you want to take up surfing, I just want you to be able to save yourself if you fall in the water and to help somebody else if they fall off the pier. If you like swimming then all the better, but that's not important to me.
    I honestly have no qualms with responsible people owning guns. I only have qualms with idiots wielding guns. What you do is pretty reasonable imo. It's better to educate people on these subjects than it is to scare them off.

Like in the US at the minimum I'd like for there to be a good background/mental check on all personnel wishing to buy a gun, a written test (legal stuff essentially), safety and practical tests along with proper storage containers. Then like a yearly check up on the gun isn't awol and a renewal test every 3 or 4 years. They're just logical things that anyone with a firearm should at least know. Doesn't need to be stupidly strict but at least a basic bar that sane people can pass and questionable people can't.

10+ Year Old Account
    My right thumb muscle is so messed up.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    What did you do?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea, but gripping anything hurts. Pressing on my thumb muscle causes minor pain, but the gripping is the real pain.

Once again though, the thing you'd expect to be the worst pain-causer: computering, doesn't cause any pain at all.

Sheesh.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I have no idea, but gripping anything hurts. Pressing on my thumb muscle causes minor pain, but the gripping is the real pain.

Once again though, the thing you'd expect to be the worst pain-causer: computering, doesn't cause any pain at all.

Sheesh.
    Should probably get that looked at.

Also someone is having fun.
    https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/980904188623323136
    https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/980898988785364993

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus, EVGA is adding more lines to their psu line up. This is getting ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    One of my customers is a retired ortho surgeon, he took a few minutes to look at it at the coffee shop. Pain went away a few days later. :P

In other news, I really want to leave the coffee shop. This nurse assistant program can't start fast enough and finish fast enough. >_<
    "A flower.

Was there a mass-invite going on or was I just Lucky?
    https://imgur.com/a/ZFVEq
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2018-04-10 at 07:00 PM.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Lucky.

When did you last play?
    "A flower.

Actual Wow? I am listing Auctions right now!
    Before that? Listing auctions back through February and... not much more!
    Except levelling guys here and there.

I only noticed I was in Legion Beta day before release, so it was sooner now, didn't get an email last time.
    &nbsp;

Was there a mass-invite going on or was I just Lucky?
    https://imgur.com/a/ZFVEq
    I got in two weeks ago but never got an email

10+ Year Old Account
    My monitor is barely 3 years old and it sounds like Samsung won't send me a replacement power brick. I need to buy a new, OFF BRAND one for $45. Fuck.

What cheap shits. I paid $1,200 USD after taxes for this thing. Wow.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    My monitor is barely 3 years old and it sounds like Samsung won't send me a replacement power brick. I need to buy a new, OFF BRAND one for $45. Fuck.

What cheap shits. I paid $1,200 USD after taxes for this thing. Wow.
    My F8500 Plasma has a green column in the middle which is a sign of a problem in an IC inside a ribbon cable, I honestly have no hope whatsoever of them fixing it since they would probably want to replace the entire panel and there are no panels available.

At least it has been 5 years since launch, still incredibly disappointing though for something with an MSRP of 4400 USD.

By now the market already transitioned to UHD HDR DCI-P3 sets which makes the old Plasmas obsolete by proxy, but they're all still amazing (some might even argue that they're still the best due to superior motion resolution) for normal BD content.

@Remilia CLED when
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-04-18 at 02:09 PM.